620 Stock Rims & 215/70r14's? Too much of a stretch?

I have a set of 4 early rims which I think are 5" (EDIT:  WRONG they are 4.5") wide but only 2 latter rims (have the "racetrack" oval ring of cutous) which are 5.5" (EDIT:  WRONG they are 5.0")I believe)

EDIT 2 > MORE MISTAKES ON MY PART > 620 wheel widths are 4.0" and 4.5", early and late, changeover date:  Feb. 1973  

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1972-1979/axle/front-drum-road-wheel

This begs the question:  If only the 620 had the "3-ball" hub cap clips, where has the 5.0" slotted wheel w/"3-ball" come from?

EDIT:  Unless someone has already done this, I'd say rims are too narrow.  Too bad.  WalMart Clearance set of 4 $120 Douglas (yes I know junk but CHEAP)

Min rim width is 5.5 for these tires.

I'm running 205/75r14's right now without any issues.

I really want to keep the stock look with the baby hubcaps.  What about 720 rims?

Of course I'm near Pittsburgh and 620/720 stuff is virtually non-existent.

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who says the min rim width is 5.5"?

Your tread width, theoretically, should be in the area of 8 5/8".

Personally, I dont think that .5" would matter.

I used to run 31x10.50 15s on stock 5.5s (but, there is a whole lot more sidewall there to flex).

Run them on the back only, and in 2 years from now, pull the others out out of ur shed and put them on as their replacement.

I agree w.ur assessment on Douglas....but, on a 2,500# pu, not so much of an issue. 

The recommended rim with on the 215/70r14's is 5.5 to 7 inches.  This is a standard tire spec.

They are wider than the 205/75r14's so would rub more on the bed w/5.0 OE wheels.

I'm into handling so I want same tires on all 4 corners.  If I'm running 185's (maybe 195's) they probably wouldn't rub w/5.0 rims in the front.  I do like the tight turning circle of the 620 and do not want to give that up.

I thought I had a easy and cheap way to put wider rubber on my truck but that isn't the case I'd either have to find a complete set of rims of some Brand X with the right offset.

I'm going to stick with the 205/75r14's on the 4.5's - all I need now is to find one more 4.5 for my spare.  If I get a deal on 185s or 195s, I can always run them.

NOTE:  I do wonder if the D21 wheels have a different offset.  They'd probably be the easiest to find in the bone yard.

Yes, I gathered that.  With the availability of hubcap clips and mild steel balls, I figure it would be easy to get those caps on late model wheels.

I'm just wondering why in the world there is so much offset difference in the 4.5 and 5.0 620 OE wheels.  I have to believe the beds are the same - did they widen the track for the L20b w/ball joints???

3 hours ago, wayno said:

The rims with the slots in them are made for front disc brakes.

I can see there being changes with the redesign of the brakes to disc, however the more negative offset is in the direction of more interference with the calipers unless the hub flanges were moved outboard.  Now while all that could be true,  If nothing was changed in the rear, the 5.0 rims result in less clearance with the bed wheel well which is unexpected (unless they changed the distance between the axle flanges.)  

All confusing.

As the years went by they changed rear axle width and spindle/rotor offset/caliper design, I have no idea if the 620 body width changed from 1972.5 thru 1979, that would be a question for 620 owners.

I do know that the late 620 disc brake rims clear all truck calipers made into the 90s on Nissan trucks when installed on earlier ball joint Datsun/Nissan trucks, while early rims need clearance modifications to clear the calipers(hammer or grinding).

MORE MISTAKES ON MY PART > 620 wheel widths are 4.0" and 4.5", early and late, changeover date:  Feb. 1973  

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1972-1979/axle/front-drum-road-wheel

This begs the question:  If only the 620 had the "3-ball" hub cap clips, where did the 5.0" slotted wheel w/"3-ball" come from?

I discovered this when researching part numbers to determine if the bed part numbers were unchanged for the 620 run.  They change.  In fact there is a change in 1978.