Best Bang for Buck Front 510 Suspension

Spades

Good afternoon! 

I'll preface this thread by apologizing if these specific questions have already been asked and I missed it. I asked about brake and strut upgrades years ago and everyone told me to try and find used 280 struts. Used parts I need to modify is not what I'm after.  Currently I work 80 hours a week so trying to sift through all the info for a complete front suspension overhaul hasn't gone well.

My 510 wagon's front struts bearings are starting to make noise and also I want to upgrade the brakes, springs, etc. all at once. I don't want it slammed, but the wagon currently has chopped coils to drop it a couple inches in the front.

I have more cash than time so that rules out modifying 280 struts (unless there's a company selling them complete with no cores required). Is there a shop I can buy everything I need (coilovers/struts/strut tops/bearings, camber plates if needed, hubs, better disc brakes/calipers, etc)? I'm looking for bolt in parts that won't require major time or modification.

I have a later model Nissan brake master cylinder, and I don't need a crazy front disc set up. Just something with maybe dual piston calipers that will fit behind 15" wheels.

Also, my front hubs and bearings are stock and 40 years old. I'm not apposed to any set up that will replace all the old hard to find front suspension bits with aftermarket or later model Nissan parts.

I apologise in advance as im sure variations of these questions have already been asked. I'm just hoping to find the best and most cost-effective way to replace the complete front suspension with newer/better parts.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, if they did they said it wrong or you heard wrong. It's 79-'83 280zx struts. 

If you stick with your old struts you will always have the small wheel bearings. After '73? ALL struts  came with larger bearings including the 280zx and it has a massive caliper and much larger vented rotors.

What modifying??? Cut your 510 and zx lower spring perches off and put a 2" split collar on with the 510 perch above it, your 510 spring and top hat above them. Adjust the height and tighten the split collars.

You can even do this with a hacksaw.

1chQBG9.jpg

GpXGvun.jpg

Grind down old weld so lower perch can adjust up or down past it.

50eoVBl.jpg

Jack up on the under side of the perches and snug the split collars. Let down slowly and check the ride height. When done securely tighten the split collars.

RgfEkVc.jpg

At the time I couldn't find 280zx struts so I used similar '84 Maxima struts...

iu2VvTA.jpg

• Like 3

Great minds think alike.

Since I did this about 8 years ago on my 710 I did come across a set of '81 280zx struts. Here's what they look like...

JSWD92k.jpg

Larger caliper will need a larger master cylinder. Again I used a zx 15/16", but I do have a brake booster to do all the work. Pedal has good response, brakes are amazing!

He said he wants to buy and bolt on. Those options exist.. Save the time which he doesn't have, spend some money, which he does have. End result is the same or you can even upgrade to even better brakes than a stock 280zx. Why not! 

T3 is what you are looking for. They serve this exact purpose. Oh and if you want, you can send them your 510 strut tubes for in store credit. No core, ACTUAL CREDIT! $150 I believe.

I did it, and I bought some camber plates and top hats.

So, part of the reason I asked about direct purchase is due to 280 stuff becoming more difficult to find these days.

Not to mention that, but even with 280 struts I would still need new 510 strut tops (bad bearings and trashed rubber,etc) and I haven't been able to locate new ones.

I was looking at t3s website and they require a core for their 280 strut builds.

Are there any other readily available suspension swap options? Between myself and my buddies, fabrication and welding isn't a concern, it's the time required (i.e. is this a day or a year project) and parts availability. If I can get swap parts readily from rock auto or a local scrap yard I'm open to suggestions (keep in mind most 80s Nissans were cleaned from wrecking yards in my area years ago).

Looking at T3 I'd be in it for well over $2k just to get started (I'd still need caliper/brake mounting hardware/brackets and a more powerful master cylinder)...is this really the best option?

20 minutes ago, Spades said:

So, part of the reason I asked about direct purchase is due to 280 stuff becoming more difficult to find these days.

Not to mention that, but even with 280 struts I would still need new 510 strut tops (bad bearings and trashed rubber,etc) and I haven't been able to locate new ones.

I was looking at t3s website and they require a core for their 280 strut builds.

Are there any other readily available suspension swap options? Between myself and my buddies, fabrication and welding isn't a concern, it's the time required (i.e. is this a day or a year project) and parts availability. If I can get swap parts readily from rock auto or a local scrap yard I'm open to suggestions (keep in mind most 80s Nissans were cleaned from wrecking yards in my area years ago).

Looking at T3 I'd be in it for well over $2k just to get started (I'd still need caliper/brake mounting hardware/brackets and a more powerful master cylinder)...is this really the best option?

If you build them yourself you’ll be around 1k to 1500. 

ermish racing has a similar offering and similar price. 

6 hours ago, Spades said:

Do you read replies? It's not 280 struts it's 280ZX struts. BIG difference. For one the strut angle is wrong on the 280z strut, caliper is smaller, rotor is a non vented dinner plae. If you decide to use them, ask for 280zx struts that's what you''ll get.

You can use the zx bearing in the 510 top hat.

No welding required. Cutting the perches off and converting shouldn't take more than half an hour once they are out and apart, make it an hour. At this time, while out, you should install new inserts, repack the bearing and put a new inner grease seal on the hub. Order and have the 2" split collars ready. True, you could paint them but no one can see them and in a year they'll be all chipped and rusty anyway.

$2K !!!! I did mine for $25 and the height is adjustable. I also had the original oil bath dampers so I replaced the oil with 20w motorcycle fork oil to firm up the action, still, including a cut off wheel for my angle grinder less than $50 Canadian. I increased the spring rate by 50% with careful measurements and calculations and then trimming the stock spring. If you have everything ready you should be able to do all this in a day. Make it a weekend. Increased spring rate, firmer shock and adjustable lowering. Sure you can buy expensive coil overs but once you get the height where you want it that shit is just money being taken for a ride.

If you don't have a brake booster a 15/16" will be a bit stiff so ask around and see what others did. The stock 510 master cylinder will work but will travel farther towards the floor to deliver more fluid to the calipers. This extra travel will seem mushy but they will work. Some say that they can regulate tire lock up better this way. I have a booster and just love the feel of the 15/16" but again, the booster is going 33% of the work. A 7/8 master might be a possible compromise between excessive travel and too firm a pedal wen used without a booster.

If you are looking to buy a prebuilt set without a core this is going to be your best option

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/evolved-front-coilover-conversion-datsun-510-using-280zx-spindles

If you don't have hubs then you'll need their hubs too 

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/4-lug-and-5-lug-billet-280zx-front-hubs

Pair that with their camber plates and you are good to go.... but $$$$

T3's micro big brake kit looks pretty nice as well - depending on what size wheels you are looking to run. 

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/micro-big-brake-kit-510-using-280zx-struts

DP racing does some nice wilwood kits as well. 

You'll definitely want to bump the master up to a bigger unit if you run any wilwood calipers, they just need the volume - and if running rear disc the 280zx 15/16ths unit would be the way to go - as mike said it will be stiff, so if you don't like that definitely look into a booster. 

Nothing wrong with 510 struts either --- the T3 kit is really easy to install, and if you cant weld Im sure you could find a shop to do  the cutting and welding of the strut tube for a pretty reasonable price, then you can use T3s coilover conversion kit and save a bunch of $$$. People talk about the issue of the small bearings but their are plenty of race cars still running stock 510 struts/spindles, and unless you really drive nasty roads or are top level racing the likely hood of bending a spindle or actually wearing out a new bearing is probably pretty slim.

48 minutes ago, john510 said:

I did the 280zx swap for less than $400 bucks with coilovers,bump steer spacers,new brake pads and rotors.Done in one day by myself.

I’ve seen strut assemblies sell for more than $400. Lucky he’s in the pnw where they are still in the wrecking yards.

8 minutes ago, Draker said:

I’ve seen strut assemblies sell for more than $400. Lucky he’s in the pnw where they are still in the wrecking yards.

I got mine at the "Pick ur Part" down in Chula Vista when they had a 50% off sale.Two strut assememblies for $75 bucks.People have caught on to the resale value of these things.Most of the 280zx i see now are always missing the struts.I got lucky.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, john510 said:

I got mine at the "Pick ur Part" down in Chula Vista when they had a 50% off sale.Two strut assememblies for $75 bucks.People have caught on to the resale value of these things.Most of the 280zx i see now are always missing the struts.I got lucky.

^This. I haven't found any donors at the local yards over the years, and now I don't have the time to go crawling through the wrecking yards.

I read about possible s14 swaps since those parts are readily available, but the steering geometry is jacked up by comparison (initially sounded worth the time and work because of newer/better parts and power steering).

Doesn't sound like there's a way to spend less than a couple of grand unless I find old parts in a wrecking yard.

3 hours ago, Spades said:

^This. I haven't found any donors at the local yards over the years, and now I don't have the time to go crawling through the wrecking yards.

I read about possible s14 swaps since those parts are readily available, but the steering geometry is jacked up by comparison (initially sounded worth the time and work because of newer/better parts and power steering).

Doesn't sound like there's a way to spend less than a couple of grand unless I find old parts in a wrecking yard.

I think your over thinking this. 

If you have working 510 struts it can be easily done, especially since you said you have buddies that can help with the cutting and welding.  The process of cutting and welding your 510 struts can be done in probably an hour. Slap on a T3 coilover conversion kit for $265, add their camber plates for $265 and your good to go. Can be done in an afternoon. If you want more stopping power add their Micro Big Brake kits for $895, maybe bump to a 7/8ths master from a 240/260/280z (good for rear drums) or a 15/16ths from a 280zx (good for rear disc conversions) for another $50-100 bucks and you've now got good brakes. All for ~ $1500.  Edit.... youll probably want some new inserts in those struts too... so add some Koni sports for $300. So $1800... or Save $200 and use some KYBS... $1600

If want true bolt in without hunting for parts then you have to spend some coin... anything aftermarket from T3, DP, Troy Ermish, etc is going to cost more then what is on the car or what can maybe be found at a junkyard. 

The advantage of finding 280zx struts is they come with a bigger brake/vented rotor--- as long as the set you get has good calipers that don't need to be replaced or rebuilt--- Also I don't believe they need to be cut down.

Something else to think about with the possible swap to 280zx stuff is will your wheels fit? 510 struts like wheels with some offset ~ +15 --- 280zx stuff likes wheels with a 0 offset. If you have a set of wheels you like on your 510 struts, they may not work on 280zx stuff.

Edited by demo243

I have a full set of 280ZX struts including hubs, calipers, pads, rotors, etc with the perches trimmed and ready for new inserts available for sale right now.  I have them on ebay but will put a package deal together for you if interested.

I actually have mine priced too low I think.  One set of 280ZX struts sold on ebay for almost $400 as mentioned above with no hubs. 

Post here or contact me through messaging if interested.

23 hours ago, demo243 said:

If you are looking to buy a prebuilt set without a core this is going to be your best option

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/evolved-front-coilover-conversion-datsun-510-using-280zx-spindles

This is really nice.  I have not seen these before.  Pricey, but a nice solution.  Honestly, not much more than a good set of coilovers cost for other vehicles.

Nice to see them making the effort to produce the spindle part.  Now if they make a 280ZX hub with proper offset that restores 510 front track, you would have the best solution.

• Like 1
On 7/23/2020 at 8:21 PM, demo243 said:

Slap on a T3 coilover conversion kit for $265,

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but where are the kits for $265..?

I can only see ones for $995 upwards and requiring cores, I'm UK based so this is no option for me..!

TIA

18 minutes ago, JK510 said:

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but where are the kits for $265..?

I can only see ones for $995 upwards and requiring cores, I'm UK based so this is no option for me..!

TIA

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/front-weld-coilover-kit-datsun-510

Requires a "core" in that you still have the stock 510 struts or you have a set of 280zx --- but all the work is done by you.

• Like 1