Well I guess I’m back.

fredges

Picked up a ‘71 521, similar to the ‘69 I sold a few years ago. It’s rougher, but more original. I’m barely going to do anything to it, aside from adding some “MoarLo” and painting the rims red. Oh, and keeping it running. I just want to drive the shit out if it.

36085309-9097-470B-975F-E23B51AA196A.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The roof rack is a period-correct Sears ski rack. Strangely, it is precisely the same kind I had on my ‘69. Picked it up from the person who bought it from Sears in the early 70’s, in the original box, with the instructions and key. 

0766F5F4-C3CD-48B2-9B81-F041683D16F4.jpeg

• Like 6

Should be a 6:00 14 X 6 ply. Six ply are incredibly stiff sidewalls but intended for heavy loads. Terrible ride though. It probably has LT or passenger tires on it now to soften it.

No red rims. Get a set of the stock chrome dog dishes and call it more than good.

I had a 5 year old '71 back in the day.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Should be a 6:00 14 X 6 ply. Six ply are incredibly stiff sidewalls but intended for heavy loads. Terrible ride though. It probably has LT or passenger tires on it now to soften it.

No red rims. Get a set of the stock chrome dog dishes and call it more than good.

I had a 5 year old '71 back in the day.

I’m shocked it’s still holding air! 😄 and yeah the rest of the tires are newer. Safety++ etc.

• Like 2

you don't want to drive the shit out of it.

I do mine and its a lot of work to keep running as the 40yrs parts just keep breaking. Drive on weekends and such

Im on my 3rd set of king pins and its getting real hard to find them. and other suspension bits I just worn out!!!!!!!!!!!

Im in near Covington

grease the kingpins and front suspension and make sure oil and diff has oil

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, fredges said:

I’m shocked it’s still holding air! 😄 and yeah the rest of the tires are newer. Safety++ etc.

See if you can sell the air to a scientist. It won't have any Chernobyl/Fukushima radiation or more or less Japanese leaded gas air pollution in it from pre '70.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Trying to fix my idle issue. It started happening suddenly. Idles down until it dies. Gotta keep the choke on. 
gotta be a vacuum leak? Only thing I could find so far was this nipple that had nothing on it. Figured a hose or cap cane off, so I stuck a rubber eye dropper bulb on it with a yellow zip tie, but it didn’t help. What is that and where should it connect to?  I don’t see an obvious place where it would route to. Looks like the lines go back to the tank, maybe it’s for vapor? 

F62E4A95-3363-4401-998D-64513338CDF5.jpeg

• Like 1

Yellow zip tied fitting, goes to underside of air cleaner.  two other ports in that valve.  middle port, goes to vapor separator tank in bed, bottom port to a small pipe on the big pipe coming from engine crankcase, that connected to PCV valve.

This entire system is separated from manifold vacuum, by the PCV valve, vacuum leaks here should not cause idle problems.

Check intake manifold bolts, and the nuts that hold the carb to the manifold.  A vacuum leak I think it the right track to look for a problem.

There is a fitting on the top of the 3-4 intake manifold runner, is that leaking?  There are also two ports on the intake manifold under the carb, one was used for the PCV valve, and the second one was used for a valve that was used with the air injection into the exhaust manifold.

• Like 3

Well it appears my fuel filter is full of silt. Shit. Looks like I'm puling a tank soon, and cleaning out a carb? Oy.

Couldn't find a vacuum leak, but I'll keep looking. Gonna go through a whole can of carb cleaner to find it! 😄 LOL

But man I love working on this truck. I used to be into old VWs, but this whole "not-crawling-around-on-your-back and hunched-over-to-work-on-it" thing is nicer on my 52-year old spine.

Edited by fredges