KHB310 in Borneo

gvk

DOaLCv7.jpgp6M9aAh.jpg

Car: '80 Datsun 140Y / KHB310 / 210

Backstory: I got it back in October 2019. I don't know how many owners this car has had but the previous owner was also an enthusiast, went the kyusha route. From what he shared with me, it didn't look too different from the current set up albeit in better condition. It did have some show events in its history until it got sidelined for quite a while and he decided to sell it.

Master plan: Motorsports.

It won't be TS Cup level. What we have here are time attack (go kart track, tight and short), autocross, gymkhana and finally drift (this might be a challenge). Maybe drag just for fun (our legal motorsports scene is quite weak). I originally wanted a drift car but this came up and it was too hard to pass. Primarily it needs to be restored then made motorsport capable & safe. I'll try to keep some 'purity' and not swap in Silvia underpinnings. But it might be an inevitable future.

ps; updates will be slow.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Love those old sunnys. A friend of my parents had a wagon. First car I ever rode in with aircon and tinting.

Don't worry about purity. Datsun was always a 'parts bin' company. Make it run and enjoy it.

Lucky for me, it does run. Engine seems healthy enough so I probably won't touch that. Carburetor needs an overhaul though.

• Like 1

Small update but I just got the exhaust fixed. Nothing fancy, just necessity.

It had this rusty ass piping and the hole was facing the passenger foot well.

Also removed that resonator cos we have lots of speedbumps and it was very low.

Only then, I noticed it was a Honda part, and looked to be welded the wrong way around (there was an arrow on it).

Now I wonder what muffler is on it. I wasn't there when the workshop did the work.

6NWyTGt.jpg

Before I got the car, it had a side exit. It needed a full exhaust system for the ownership transfer procedure.

It's good for now but will definitely redo the full exhaust system next time.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

With an acquaintance in town.

6Q5eotT.jpg

Got some Enkei Colin Cross Fever Racing rims (13x6). Looks much better now. Still not 100% satisfied though.

OkMwBpU.jpg

Got some window winders from the parts shop. I just had one before. Not sure which model these came from (and they're different) but they work anyway.

jEtdViH.jpg

Found out why I had no reverse lights. The wires to the switch was disconnected. Will need to rectify that.

Fixed some dodgy connections for the front right signal lamp & front bumper lamps. All front lamps work now. The bumper lamps use 2 filament bulbs (same as brake lamps) but there are no wires for the brighter state. Will need to rectify that too.

Got a new radiator cap cos the old one was f-ed.

Disassembled the fan clutch. Still has oil so my guess is the bearing is dead. Will go find another fan & clutch set that fits from the parts shop.

Realized the switch for the rear defrosters weren't connected and heck those don't even exist on the car lol. That's fine. I can live without it.

So at this moment the whole dash is out while I take a look at the wiring loom.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought it would be easy to find a replacement fan locally but weirdly no. Ended up with an RB fan.

The fan I had should be the one for late A-series with AC. The one I got should be an RB-series fan.
lQ5SXC9.jpgxtNXbAX.jpg

Unfortunately needed to cut it up to clear the radiator. Forgot to take a pic of the final version after smoothing it out a bit.

MWlnmFI.jpgKx3OZuq.jpg

Kinda worried this might cause other issues cos it's quite wobbly. The plastic fan is a bit bent up I presume from accident.

• 4 months later...

Barely have any updates for the KB310. Brake issue really stumping me. Random loss of braking. Checked the drums and the calipers, they should be fine. Maybe the master cylinder? Or could the booster be problematic? By 'loss of braking' I mean it's not braking even when the pedal is depressed fully. Most of the time it works though.

In other news, I bought an early model B310 sedan. Might be a 50/50 part out and spares for the KB310. The A12 runs good, I presume the gearbox is good but i'm not gonna drive it. Bought from a junkyard.

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Loss of booster makes the pedal harder to push down on.

When brakes are 'lost' does the pedal go down closer to the floor? Like softer?

Are you loosing brake fluid?

True. Not the booster then.

Yes. All the way down.

Nope.

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Brake master cylinder then.

Alright. The one on the sedan isn't original and they bashed the strut tower to fit it. Guess i'll try and find a new one.

• 10 months later...