Headliner Pattern

ducky

Hey guys. Does anyone have a pattern for a headliner? I'm looking for a standard cab, not king. Mine is missing chunks, so I figured I'd go get a cheap one to make a pattern, but it appears the sellers on eBay have inlaid solid gold fibers into the material. That's all I can assume at least, being that every one of them is ~$150+ I got a brand new one for my 1966 Mustang, and I'm fairly certain it only cost me about $40. It's in the car and looks awesome too, so no clue how a smaller piece of material can cost almost 5x the price.

For those curious, I'd like to make my own out of other material not commonly used (tweed).

Edited by ducky
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, EDM620 said:

I have a replacement headliner for my KC (yup the gold thread version) that I could draw up a pattern if that'll help

That might be a good idea in general. When the next poor sucker searches for headliner pattern in here and only sees this single thread, they'll be ecstatic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, ducky said:

That might be a good idea in general. When the next poor sucker searches for headliner pattern in here and only sees this single thread, they'll be ecstatic!

That sucker would be me!
Ive got a kingcab that needs a headliner. Previous owner had door cards half made and just gave me the material (foam, vinyl, etc.) but nothing for the headliner and I wouldn't know where to start for that one.

I'll see about drawing up a pattern next week - I'm assuming the material is already essentially made to fit with a bit of trimming, bow loops should be in the correct position.

I had to get a new headliner as my truck had a sunroof in it (amazingly hadn't been leaking) and I intend to replace the sunroof either with a new/different one or else fill in the hole.

Are you thinking of having a local shop stitch the material up for you?

8 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Are you thinking of having a local shop stitch the material up for you?

That would be awesome if you could! Maybe if you decide to part with your black headliner Ill scoop it up, we're only a few hours apart. But I wouldnt mind trying my hand at making one.

I have the 3 bows still thankfully. If the pattern is pretty straight forward Ill take a crack at it. Im no upholsterer but I can work a sewing machine lol

I will be pulling my headliner out at some point so I can repair some roof dents and replace the front/rear window gaskets. It's probably going to be a few weeks out at least, though. Probably a couple months the way this project seems to be going. I have a bolt of furniture grade suede that I will be using for the new liner, door panels and panel behind the seat. Trying to decide if I want to apply that over the stock liner so I don't have to worry about making all the loops and getting them placed right... Anyway, whenever it happens I can measure and make a pattern if it's still needed at that time. 

6 hours ago, Negative Ghostrider said:

Anyway, whenever it happens I can measure and make a pattern if it's still needed at that time. 

For sure! Looks like EDM has a king cab anyways, so if yours is a standard, that gets me what I'm after.

20 minutes ago, ducky said:

For sure! Looks like EDM has a king cab anyways, so if yours is a standard, that gets me what I'm after.

If I can weasel the liner out from under the gasket without having to remove it I may take it out sooner. I just don't want to pull the glass out until I absolutely have to. The seals are too rotten to reuse and the ones I got from vintagerubber cost a fortune so I don't want to put those in and then risk tearing one or something to take them back out to paint the interior. I know the manual says you have to pull the gaskets to get the liner out but it seems like it should just tuck behind the inner lip so maybe I can get it free? I dunno. I have not experience with stuff like this 😅

I have measured out my KC headliner and took some pics. 

On 7/17/2020 at 3:17 PM, klam07 said:

Maybe if you decide to part with your black headliner Ill scoop it up

Negative on that, besides is not black! I found a business card inside that is the source, a guy in Texas. Note that the dimensions are for 1/2 of the total width.

The bow loops do spread apart some in the middle then taper back - I suppose that provides a tighter fit.

My headliner included a good chunk of extra material (26x54 inch) that would do for recovering the sunvisors or maybe door cards? The roof pillars aren't covered. There is some extra material around the edge where the fabric gets glued up and behind the door welting.

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6284.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, EDM620 said:

I have measured out my KC headliner and took some pics. 

Negative on that, besides is not black! I found a business card inside that is the source, a guy in Texas. Note that the dimensions are for 1/2 of the total width.

Oh, I totally misred your other post. Thought you said you ended up getting both a black and white! Woops, my mistake

Thanks for the pictures and measurements though! This is definitely helpful and Im sure it will be in the future for others.

Its interesting because, mentally at least, I cant really picture how the shape translates onto the roof. I had a look at a single cab roof liner recently and where the liner meets the A and B pillars there were little 'tabs' that would tuck under a small plastic trim piece on the pillars. On the kingcab Im not sure if there is such a piece, if mine came with them theyre in a box of other misc things that I didn't have a close look through.

Maybe if I stare at my roof long enough it'll make sense!

On 7/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, klam07 said:

On the kingcab Im not sure if there is such a piece

Well there wasn't on mine, it was just glued onto the roof pillars. The welting for the doors and window seals kept it in place though it was still glued fully around the perimeter.

P5080396.JPG