5 Speed swap in a 521 Specs etc?

Angela

11 hours ago, Angela said:

I thought about covering it with my new carpet kit I just installed but since my truck had an original plastic snap in mat that the shifter plate sat on top of, I figured that's how it came from the factory. I have never seen any examples of a 521 with the shifter plate under the carpet or mat. I suppose there are several custom variations that could be done but I think I am a fan of the plate on top of carpet. I have a metal 520 dash top I just painted in flat black that I plan to install next so it kinda ties things together. I just love this truck so much. My 510 wagon gets jealous sometimes I think 🤔 😆

XpBzKHU.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered this gear shift lever boot from Amazon on December 6.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0782SBT2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrived December 16.

ThailandBoot.JPG

This is a picture of a fairly new Nissan OEM boot, that is NLA from the Nissan dealer.

NissanBoot.JPG

I have two 521 trucks with long shaft five speed transmissions in them.  I put a five speed transmission in my Green truck, named "Dragon"  in the late 1970's.  Earlier this year, I put a 1980 720 L-20-B engine and five speed transmission in my daily driver Datsun 521, named "Ratsun".

I pulled the transmission cover plate out of Dragon when I put the five speed in Ratsun, and left Dragon without a cover plate for a while.

This December 2019 I started work on a cover plate for Dragon, since I robbed the plate from Dragon.   I cut a round piece of 18 gauge sheet metal to fit the hole for the original shift lever location of a 521, Welded that in a shift cover plate, then I cut a smaller hole in that plate for the new location of the shift lever.   I just used a 3 inch hole saw to cut the new hole.

Notice the new smaller hole lines up with two screw holes to hold the plate to the transmission tunnel.

CoverPlates3.JPG

The new Thailand lever boot fits the original hole OK, but first I had to cut the parting line flash where two halves of the shift boot mold came together.

MoldPartLine.JPG

This is not the actual knife I used, it is just for illustration.

PartLineCut.JPG

Time to make the actual new hole in the cover plate for the new lever boot.  I used a second OEM cover plate to draw a circle on the plate I wanted to put a new hole in.

HoleOutline.JPG

This is the round hole drawn above.  Notice the outline of the hole runs into two of the screw holes that hold the plate in the cab.

HoleOutline2.JPG

I then freehanded drew lines about a 1/4 inch inside the two screw holes, and then added about 1/4 of an inch outside 90 degrees away from the screw holes.  The intention is to make the boot mounting hole slightly egg shaped to clear the plate mounting screw holes.

HoleOutline3.JPG

I used a 1/32 small cutoff disk in a die grinder to rough cut the new hole, undersized.

HoleRoughCut.JPG

Then I used this drum sanding wheel to sand (grind) the hole to dimension, and to smooth the cutoff wheel gouges, and deburr the hole.

HoleDrumSand.JPG

Then I used this flange,

Flange.JPG

and a punch, that looks very much like an old kingpin, and a hammer to flatten the metal around the new boot hole.

Punch.JPG

This is the hole, flattened.

FlatHole.JPG

This is the Thailand shift boot from Amazon on the modified cover plate.

BootOnPlate.JPG

The bottom of the cover plate, with boot.BootOnPlate2.JPG

and this is the cover plate, and boot screwed in the cab of Dragon.

PlateInCab.JPG

First Gear

1StGear.JPG

Second gear

2ndGear.JPG

Fifth gear

5thGear.JPG

Reverse

RevGear.JPG

No it is not painted yet.  It was 40 degrees F in the garage, too cold to paint.  About 4.4 degrees C.

•  
  • Like 1

L16T?  Turbo?  The L16 will have a 5 bolt flywheel, I think it is a 200mm clutch.  The Maxima will have a 6 bolt flywheel, will likely have a 225mm clutch........I don't think the larger 225mm clutch will fit the 200mm flywheel.  Are you looking for a performance clutch for the turbo power?  If so, you will likely need to stick with an L16 200mm clutch, but find one with a higher "clamping force" pressure plate.......maybe a Centerforce......??  I would suggest a full face disc with springs for street use, like the factory, but with a performance friction material.  I'm sure others will chime in!

• Like 1

For many years the pressure plate to use was one from a 2000 roadster, 200 MM, about twice the clamping force.  I believe it is no longer available, but looking for that one will be a good place to start.  If you can find a L-18 flywheel for the 620 truck, that will give you a 225 MM five bolt flywheel, I am not sure how easy or difficult it is to find pressure plates, and disks for that setup.  The collar that holds the throwout bearing has different heights to accommodate different heights of different pressure plates.

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Dean still sells the 2000 650kg clutch kits.

P/N 1483

https://www.datsunparts.com/Clutch

Fuck that guy and I bought a 600kg clutch kit off Ebay for less money:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Roadster-Exedy-Clutch-Kit-w-HD-600kg-Cover-fits-1600-2000-PL-510-521-620/233202857988?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Dean still sells the 2000 650kg clutch kits.

P/N 1483

https://www.datsunparts.com/Clutch

Wow, that is a great deal at $174!  BendOr521 you can visually identify a heavy duty Roadster pressure plate by the three rivets per "ear"......you can just see them in his pics, so that is a great choice!  I didn't mention, cuz I thought they were long gone NLS NLA!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, d.p said:

........"fuck that guy" for selling the EXACT same, correct three rivet heavy duty pressure plate (kit) for $25 more than what you bought?  Yikes, oh the horror!! 😣 🙄 I have never heard of that particular Exedy kit, but the listing DOES make it clear that it is a heavy duty pressure plate.........I have used quite a few Exedy clutch kits with no complaints!  Good to know! 😎

3 hours ago, d.p said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, yenpit said:

........"fuck that guy" for selling the EXACT same, correct three rivet heavy duty pressure plate (kit) for $25 more than what you bought?  Yikes, oh the horror!! 😣 🙄 I have never heard of that particular Exedy kit, but the listing DOES make it clear that it is a heavy duty pressure plate.........I have used quite a few Exedy clutch kits with no complaints!  Good to know! 😎

No dickhead fuck that guy for being a huge pain in the ass to deal with.   Wait are you him?  lol

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, d.p said:

No dickhead fuck that guy for being a huge pain in the ass to deal with.   Wait are you him?  lol

No, I simply think it was disrespectful.  And now you call me a dickhead?  You don't even know me, brudda.  Why can't we all just get along!  Many people are "different", as mainer311 says......just gotta figure out how to handle them 😎.  If you can't figure out how to handle them, move on, buy somewhere else.  I'm good.....hopefully you will be too! 😉

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Yeah, Dean is...different. But he sells a lot of good stuff, so if you can deal with him and his absurd shipping costs, then you get decent parts.

Yeah so my $25 is actually more because I didn't have to pay that dudes ridiculous shipping prices.  He really is a piece of work but I guess he can be for what he offers.  

• Like 1
Just now, yenpit said:

No, I simply think it was disrespectful.  And now you call me a dickhead?  You don't even know me, brudda.  Why can't we all just get along!  Many people are "different", as mainer311 says......just gotta figure out how to handle them 😎.  If you can't figure out how to handle them, move on, buy somewhere else.  I'm good.....hopefully you will be too! 😉

Sure but you didn't know why I was being disrespectful and took it upon yourself to form an opinion.  But you are right I don't know you so I take back calling you a dickhead but I don't take back my opinion of Dean back because his attitude sucks and he rips you off on shipping.  

• Like 1
On 9/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, BendOR521 said:

Hi recently picked up a 5 mid ratio speed out of a datsun maxima too swap into my 521 that has an L16T. I’m trying figure out wether to run a maxima clutch or a 521 clutch, any idea what would work better.

The transmission doesn't give a shit what clutch you use and the clutch doesn't give a shit what transmission it drives. It's like asking the tires if they care what clutch you choose.The only common thing between them is the splined input shaft and they are all the same. All L series transmissions will bolt to all possible combinations of L series engines.... not that you would want to.

If your L16 clutch is in good shape stuff the transmission in using your release bearing collar and away you go. Always put new release bearing on collar.

If looking for a new clutch just get one for a 521. It's a 200mm and identical to the 510 pressure plate. More than enough clutch for little L16 and the Roadster is too stiff and over kill. Use new release bearing.

If indeed you DO have a turbo L16 go with the 200mm Roaster clutch. The 521 and Roadster use the same release collar. Replace the release bearing.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, d.p said:

Sure but you didn't know why I was being disrespectful and took it upon yourself to form an opinion.  But you are right I don't know you so I take back calling you a dickhead but I don't take back my opinion of Dean back because his attitude sucks and he rips you off on shipping.  

Water under the bridge dp! 👍 I've never dealt with that seller, but I have dealt with MANY "different" people over the years!  When I was in wholesale British parts back in the 90's, I was given an old customer list to start with, many of which were not buying from the company I went to work for.  The other more "seasoned" sales people laughed a little, "wished me luck" with some of them.  My boss even laughed & said "......you'll NEVER get anything out of so & so......", so I worked even harder at getting them to buy from me!  Best example was "John" in Ohio............he was a real piece of work.  He bitched & moaned, complained & became grossly agitated when something didn't go his way with a part.  One day, probably a year or so in to my working there, he called screaming & cussing.  I listened for about 20sec, decided he was being abusive, held the phone away from my ear, said "John, I'm gonna hang up.  Take a minute to cool down, call me back & we will figure it out".  He immediately called back, screaming even louder.  I repeated myself & hung up.  He called back again, same scenario.  The fourth time, he said in a much calmer demeanor, "OK TJ, look, I have a BIG problem & YOU need to do something about it".  "No worries John, tell me what's up!".  Turns out after talking for a minute, HE ordered the wrong part!  Even tho' it was his fault, he explained the situation regarding his customer, sucked for him, but I overnighted the correct part to him, for the cost of standard shipping.  Ever since that "episode", he must have gained a level of respect for me, perhaps cuz I stood up to him (rumor in the biz was he was the same mean arrogant guy as ever) & he became a GREAT customer & a friend.  I would see them at car shows & would sit at their "booth" & chat with those looking at their products, while they took a quick walk around the car show!  Those were good days! 😎

PS dp, I saw your interior last year here on the forum & did a similar "tartan/plaid" design on my 521 seat & door panels!  Can't wait to install!

005.JPG

• Like 5
1 minute ago, mainer311 said:

Damn that looks good. My interior is next and I can’t wait to get creative with it.

Was a 720 bench, but too wide at the top corners to push all the way back to the rear wall of the cab (top corners interfered with the  B pillar where the welt trim is).  Cut 3in's out of top CENTER, pie cut sides to "draw in" together in the middle, welded back up.  We have a nice yellow 510 in our shop now, the owner wants to re-do the interior, saw my seats, went to upholstery shop, found a subtle black & yellow tartan/plaid, that he will do his seat inserts with (not gonna do door panels).  I like my red stitching, don't think yellow stitching would work, but it's HIS car! 😆

dp those mats look killer cool!  Full custom I suppose......?

• Like 1
On 9/23/2020 at 9:39 AM, Greaser2 said:

I would put the cover plate over the carpet for the times you have to open it up. 

B423C7DF-5611-4EB6-BC0B-2BCA73E1C916.jpeg

Yup, that's what I went with. Your interior is really cool. Thanks for the input!

On 9/23/2020 at 10:51 AM, DanielC said:

I ordered this gear shift lever boot from Amazon on December 6.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0782SBT2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrived December 16.

ThailandBoot.JPG

This is a picture of a fairly new Nissan OEM boot, that is NLA from the Nissan dealer.

NissanBoot.JPG

I have two 521 trucks with long shaft five speed transmissions in them.  I put a five speed transmission in my Green truck, named "Dragon"  in the late 1970's.  Earlier this year, I put a 1980 720 L-20-B engine and five speed transmission in my daily driver Datsun 521, named "Ratsun".

I pulled the transmission cover plate out of Dragon when I put the five speed in Ratsun, and left Dragon without a cover plate for a while.

This December 2019 I started work on a cover plate for Dragon, since I robbed the plate from Dragon.   I cut a round piece of 18 gauge sheet metal to fit the hole for the original shift lever location of a 521, Welded that in a shift cover plate, then I cut a smaller hole in that plate for the new location of the shift lever.   I just used a 3 inch hole saw to cut the new hole.

Notice the new smaller hole lines up with two screw holes to hold the plate to the transmission tunnel.

CoverPlates3.JPG

The new Thailand lever boot fits the original hole OK, but first I had to cut the parting line flash where two halves of the shift boot mold came together.

MoldPartLine.JPG

This is not the actual knife I used, it is just for illustration.

PartLineCut.JPG

Time to make the actual new hole in the cover plate for the new lever boot.  I used a second OEM cover plate to draw a circle on the plate I wanted to put a new hole in.

HoleOutline.JPG

This is the round hole drawn above.  Notice the outline of the hole runs into two of the screw holes that hold the plate in the cab.

HoleOutline2.JPG

I then freehanded drew lines about a 1/4 inch inside the two screw holes, and then added about 1/4 of an inch outside 90 degrees away from the screw holes.  The intention is to make the boot mounting hole slightly egg shaped to clear the plate mounting screw holes.

HoleOutline3.JPG

I used a 1/32 small cutoff disk in a die grinder to rough cut the new hole, undersized.

HoleRoughCut.JPG

Then I used this drum sanding wheel to sand (grind) the hole to dimension, and to smooth the cutoff wheel gouges, and deburr the hole.

HoleDrumSand.JPG

Then I used this flange,

Flange.JPG

and a punch, that looks very much like an old kingpin, and a hammer to flatten the metal around the new boot hole.

Punch.JPG

This is the hole, flattened.

FlatHole.JPG

This is the Thailand shift boot from Amazon on the modified cover plate.

BootOnPlate.JPG

The bottom of the cover plate, with boot.BootOnPlate2.JPG

and this is the cover plate, and boot screwed in the cab of Dragon.

PlateInCab.JPG

First Gear

1StGear.JPG

Second gear

2ndGear.JPG

Fifth gear

5thGear.JPG

Reverse

RevGear.JPG

No it is not painted yet.  It was 40 degrees F in the garage, too cold to paint.  About 4.4 degrees C.

•  

Daniel, your work is always an inspiration. Thank you so much for all the step by step illustrations. My plate ended up looking quite a bit like yours but I just got the truck back yesterday & it appears that my buddy wedged/force fit the old boot (not an original anyhow...pics later) into the smaller hole he cut. I'm not a fan but super appreciative of the effort since I can't really do that stuff myself. I'm still focused on breaking in my newly rebuilt L20B properly so cosmetics will take a back seat for the moment but I'll certainly be referring back to your posts when the time comes. Took my 1st freeway trip today for about an hour & the new motor & 5 speed felt strong & pretty smooth. Think I might be needing a break upgrade though! Will do an oil change this weekend after driving a bit more. It's been teetering on triple digits here where I live so temp gauge was running a bit hot. Might go with a Koyo radiator next. Ahhh...it's always something (but I love it).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Angela said:

Beautiful! I like your carpet kit better than the one I got from ebay for too much $. Where'd you find that?

That's my truck in the picture, but DP and I got our carpets from the same guy. He's out near Salt Lake City, and also sells kits on eBay. (Or at least we think, considering the location is the same.)

• Like 1