New truck to me, z24i electro-injection woes

Notapilot69

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friends, I have made some real progress. Fixed a bunch of vacuum lines and replaced some broken ones, set timing, and now I have a truck that runs to redline?! Not sure what was going on with the coils still but I'm not out of the woods yet. I now have a very wonky idle. Runs fine at 1000 for a min, then drops to 300 or so and back oscillating, then up to 2000 for a few seconds. I know we don't have an IACV, what else could it be? 

• Like 1

Every vacuum line is in its home, with the exception of one of the hardlines previously mentioned. The third one, closest to the fenderwell, has no home. I can't find anywhere in the FSM or online that points to where it belongs. Definitely vacuum advance on the trucks equipped with it. Other than that just need to figure out this surging idle issue. I'm just glad I can rev the thing up finally 

• Like 1

I don't have vacuum advance sir being the TBI, so I'm not sure where the heck this line is supposed to go. I'll keep digging online and under to hood to see if I can figure it out. I think you're right, it has to be a silly leak somewhere

• Like 1

Alright I have it all figured out for the most part. Timing was way off and idle cranked way up to compensate i suppose.

Timing is correct and no vacuum leaks. Truck doesn't want to idle until warm where it idles perfect. Is it the wax type fast idle solenoid? Digging through the FSM now to find into. 

• Like 1

Yes sir I have timing set at 5° at idle. 

My problem of spark cutting out when I go full throttle has returned. No idea what it could be at this point. Both coils lose spark when I hit the gas fully, then itll backfire after it sits for a bit so I know there's fuel. Maybe the modules for the coils are acting up 

• Like 1

Just reading what your saying makes me wonder if you have a switch on the throttle causing a short when you go full throttle?

I dont have a 720 so I could be talking out of my ass right now....

I know earlier datsuns had some extra switches to deactivate a second set of of points under certain conditions....

I know you dont have points but a switch on the throttle is possible.... pretty sure my 93 pathfinder had something.... I thought it was a kickdown switch for the automatic but I'm not really sure.... 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Run a jumper wire from a 12v source directly to the + side of the coils. Now, at least, power cannot be interrupted. 

Good idea Mike. Any idea on a good switched power source I can pull from? 

Also, only code I have now is 21, ignition signal

• Like 1