A14 Engine and 60 Transmission Serial Number decoding

I need some help identifying an A14 and 60 Transmission. I picked up a 1977 Triumph Spitfire at an auction and upon opening the hood discovered that the engine was not the original one that came with the car matter of fact the valve cover said Nissan on it. Upon further research found that engine was a  Datsun engine. Needless to say I am restoring the Triumph and am in the process of rebuilding a Triumph engine to put in it. I am getting the Datsun engine and tranny prepared for sale and just need some help decoding the serial numbers I found on the engine block and on the tranny and gearbox.

Engine # A14 702770 space B
Tranny # 60 number on bell housing is FL 0537820. On the right side of the gearbox is the #4 and on the left side is the #10.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it says Nissan then probably from the later 210  ( B310 ) '79-'82

Engine size and ID is stamped just forward of the distributor hole.

img_20200713_182851_by_atomicsickness_de

You may have a 60 series 4 or 5 speed. Note relative lengths as marked by yellow lines.

22337.jpg 

With luck you may have a 5 speed. There were two styles available. The'79 dogleg and the '80 and up regular shift pattern

The top silver transmission is a regular shift 60 series 5 speed. Note the oil drain bung facing down and it's location with the yellow arrow to it.

210FS5W60AandFS5W60Ldogleg.jpg

Above is a dogleg shift with reverse above first. Note the yellow arrow points to the rearward facing oil drain bung. The white arrow points to a very large nut facing downward. Only doglegs have this.

The casting number on the cylinder head will tell you about when the engine was made and what model of car.

The cast # in located under the valve cover at #4 cylinder.

IF it has H72, it is from a B210 75-78, IF it has H95 it is from a Datsun 210 79-82

Is it a dogleg or H pattern? If dogleg then it's very possible the engine came with it and it's from a '79 210. If H pattern then '80-'81 210.

Most of these 5 speeds were snapped up by MG owners that wanted a 5 speed for their cars. The MG and the A series engines are so similar the transmission will fit.

The 728 cylinder head came on the "FU" engine, small round port, open chamber head, engine produced 65hp and all came with 63a 5 speed transmission in the B210 coupes.

It was an economy engine built for good mileage not performance. Compression ratio of 8.5 to 1 and pistons had 5.37mm dish.

So this narrows your engine down to a B210 from 77-78.

My Datsun 1200 had factory rating of 69hp

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Someone should get it to keep away from those snobby MG owners.

True, but the price is about twice what a Datsun Guy (read: cheap bastard) would pay for that particular set up, IMHO.

The 5 spd at about $500.00 (maybe). It really depends on location and demand. If I didn't have several "A" blocks and a couple 60 series transmissions laying around, I would be chasing this.

What is there, about 5 to 10 1200, B210, 210 folks around this site?

Not trying to be a jackass, only offering up my $.02.

1 hour ago, KELMO said:

The 5 spd at about $500.00 (maybe). It really depends on location and demand. If I didn't have several "A" blocks and a couple 60 series transmissions laying around, I would be chasing this.

What is there, about 5 to 10 1200, B210, 210 folks around this site?

Not trying to be a jackass, only offering up my $.02.

mg guys seems to have deeper pockets. I’ve seen them ask 800-1000 for a 60A. 

They have to have deeper pockets. The only thing you have to work on more than a Datsun is an MG.

OK, now I'm being a jackass.

• Like 1