Spline on steering column

flyfish

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost all old Datsuns have the same steering shaft diameter/spline. I know for a fact that my Roadster and 521 are identical, and I think someone mentioned that Z’s are the same as well. That might help with your search.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Almost all old Datsuns have the same steering shaft diameter/spline. I know for a fact that my Roadster and 521 are identical, and I think someone mentioned that Z’s are the same as well. That might help with your search.

Had a zx steering wheel on my 620 and it's now on my 710 so good up into the 80s at least.

• Like 1

As far as I know, only the smaller Datsun 1200 series has a smaller spline, likely thru the later 210 series!  I have not pulled my 521 steering wheel off yet, but sounds like it is the same as the 510 & Z car...........

• Like 1

I pulled my OEM wheel off this weekend, fitted a 510 hub kit. The hub "seats" itself on the splines & allows the big nut to tighten up, however the hub tightens down, leaving a 1/2in gap between the hub & the 2pc plastic steering column cover.  I have already messaged Jake Anderson from the Facebook pages, as he is 3D printing the 2pc cover.  He said there is a pretty good chance that he can make the 2pc plastic cover LONGER, to close up this gap, would simply very likely need trimming to fit the VARIOUS depths of the various hub kit manufacturers.  I might just try gluing a strip of black foam or rubber to either the plastic cover or the hub, to fill up this gap.............

• Like 2

Just fyi.....if you only have a small gap....the hole that holds the blinker switch in position is slotted so that it can move a bit.  That allows the blinker's plastic housing to be adjusted a bit.  I think it's about a 1/4" and yours may be topped out anyways.