pidge

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish I’d found this post earlier; I’ve just been through exactly this scenario. Now I’m back to hoping I can find the correct pump; does anyone have any leads?

I have not yet tried swapping the arm. Is it worth a try? I couldn’t tell from this post.

Other than that, the only differences in my situation are:

1) I was able to back out the stud bolts to fit the new fuel pump onto the block (due to the much thicker backing plate on the new pump’s lower assembly).

2) I didn’t break the diaphragm off the new fuel pump when attempting to Frankenstein the pumps together, but only because I stopped just short of breaking it. I could not remove the diaphragm from the new pump.

My old and new fuel pumps are exactly the same as the original author. Once I got the new pump mounted, there is absolutely no pressure on the inlet valve, which I assume is because the arm is not actuated by the eccentric cam. The wear marks on my kyosan denki pump arm are up high on the arm. The replacement pump arm does not reach anywhere near that high inside the block.

Edited by littlebigeye

Your China brand pump may be different, but re-reading my post and going off memory the China pump had “pressed in” ball bearings holding the arm in vs the factory pump which had a pin. I don’t imagine those ball bearings coming out. Did you try the eBay link from the other member that was posted?

-Pidge

Thanks, Pidge. Yeah, my replacement pump has the ball bearings holding the arm in. Doubtful I can get those out.

I did try that eBay link, but the item is long gone. The search continues!

Thanks for your help, and for all the details in your post. I felt a little less crazy, especially about wrestling with the new diaphragm! 

19 hours ago, littlebigeye said:

I wish I’d found this post earlier; I’ve just been through exactly this scenario. Now I’m back to hoping I can find the correct pump; does anyone have any leads?

I have not yet tried swapping the arm. Is it worth a try? I couldn’t tell from this post.

Other than that, the only differences in my situation are:

1) I was able to back out the stud bolts to fit the new fuel pump onto the block (due to the much thicker backing plate on the new pump’s lower assembly).

2) I didn’t break the diaphragm off the new fuel pump when attempting to Frankenstein the pumps together, but only because I stopped just short of breaking it. I could not remove the diaphragm from the new pump.

My old and new fuel pumps are exactly the same as the original author. Once I got the new pump mounted, there is absolutely no pressure on the inlet valve, which I assume is because the arm is not actuated by the eccentric cam. The wear marks on my kyosan denki pump arm are up high on the arm. The replacement pump arm does not reach anywhere near that high inside the block.

Backing out the studs to get it mounted tells me it's not really the correct pump. The pump arm not reaching is another clue.