Need someone to replace head gasket

old521

I do not have any place to work on my old 1971 521 and am retired; on a fixed income.  Anyone in the SE Portland area that could replace a head gasket for me at a price I could afford?   Seems garages around here do not want to work on it.  They would probably charge a fortune if they could figure out how to work on it anyway.  It is a 76 engine; 2 liter I put into it about 30 years ago.  Was our 'work-horse'.  Definitely a blown head gasket.  You can feel the air coming out, near the rear.  Might need to have the timing chain replaced too, while apart.  I don't know anyone that works on these or even owns one.  Met one guy at a store and he said he knew a guy that could do it.  Then the guy told him it was too old to get parts for.  Looks to me Rockauto has everything needed.  Have a 72 I am driving, but it can barely climb hills anymore.  That engine needs to be rebuilt, but I don't have the money.  Been sitting for several months.  Sits much longer, I may as well scrap it.  It still starts and runs.  It is nothing fancy.  Seemed to still have plenty of power until the gasket blew. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plenty of guys in your neck of the wood that could do the job.

Word of caution - head gaskets rarely just blow. Most times the head warps or cracks too. Sometimes the block cracks around the center head bolt hole. If driven while overheating, the rings could start to stick and mess up the pistons and the bores. Even rod bearings can get squished if the engine was hydaulic'd.

Not trying to scare you, but want you to be realistic that it's probably not a three hour job with just the cost of a head gasket.

When you say "charge a fortune", how much is too much?

As Hainz said, if you give up on it, don't scrap it. These trucks are getting harder and harder to find and it would be a shame to see one go to the scrapper.

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  Yeah, I know it could be more than just the gasket.  I have no room, even in the backyard to work on it, and If I could, I would be scared of breaking some of those old bolts that have not been touched for many years.  I was not aware that engines changed so drastically that people in garages are afraid to work on something that to me, would seem simple.  I guess it is older than most guys working in garages now.  Even tried to get a guy that does imported engines from Europe to look at it, and he had no interest what so ever.  Probably would have charged more than what I could afford anyway. 

What the heck scares people away from them?  Breaking old bolts that are more or less by now, 'welded' into it?  I have new health issues preventing me from doing much of anything now too.  Just thought I would see if there was anyone around here that could help me.  I don't want to scrap it.  But I hate seeing it just sit there.  It sat for several years over here one time, and that was enough.  I replaced the carburetor on it and brakes and it ran fine.  The original engine was blown by someone that stole it the second time from me.  All they took out of it was the radiator.  Yeah, the excuse that there are no parts for it means to me that they simply do not want to work on it.  And it may very well be because bolts could be broken.  If I were able to work on it, that would sorta scare me.  I kinda get the feeling these guys now a days do not want to be completely honest with customers. 

I realize the head may need to be shaved.  But I don't know.  Sure runs good.  Never drove it more than short distances.  Kept it tuned.  Does not look great, but that helps keep people from being interested in stealing it.  My opinion. 

Just thought I would ask.  I have never worked on an imported engine before.  Don't have hardly any metric tools either.  I know a guy that rebuilt a Toyota nearby.  Maybe he would do it.  I don't know if there is any difference between the two or not.

As far as 'plenty' of guys around here that work on them, that is news to me.  The one that supposedly knew how to work on them chickened out without even talking to me.  Another guy kept insisting it was next to impossible to get parts for it.  I will refrain from saying what I think about someone saying that. 

As far as cost goes, I don't know how much.  No one would even give me an estimate.  I cannot afford much because my wife lost her job.  Could barely pay to keep heat in the house this winter.  Have to pay taxes.  I found one guy that may have done it, but he acted like it would take a million dollars for him to do it.  He would not tell me 'yes or no' when I asked if he had actually worked on one before.  I did not see any imports in his garage.  My guess is that guys do not want their garages 'held-up' if the head needs to be shaved and the thing sits in the garage taking up space another car could be worked on.  I did not meet one single mechanic I felt comfortable talking to.  They have what look like 'flocks' of cars sitting outside their garages to be worked on, and I suspect they simply do not want to spend hardly any time working on a single vehicle now a days.  They work on older cars, but not imports.  I go to import places and they do not want to work on it. 

One guy that I actually know, told me he would need a guy to help him.  Huh?  He claims he knows how to work on them.  I have worked on other engines over the years.  You need a second person to help you work on a small imported engine?  To remove the head on it?  Yeah, guess there are 'plenty'  around here all right! 

Yeah, I was wondering if there might be someone nearby because I don't want to drive it any distance the way it is.  No need to do more damage. 

I have an old Ford that needs a catalytic converter and a muffler, and one told me "I do not work on classic cars".  If he had looked at it, he would have discovered it is a 'wreck' not a 'classic' !  I don't have a hoist.  And it hurts too much for me to crawl around on the ground anymore.  Guess no one wants to work on anything over 20 years anymore.  Seems to me they are simpler than the newer ones. 

Thanks guys.  Just thought I would ask and see.

8 hours ago, old521 said:

I do not have any place to work on my old 1971 521 and am retired; on a fixed income.  Anyone in the SE Portland area that could replace a head gasket for me at a price I could afford?   Seems garages around here do not want to work on it.  They would probably charge a fortune if they could figure out how to work on it anyway.  It is a 76 engine; 2 liter I put into it about 30 years ago.  Was our 'work-horse'.  Definitely a blown head gasket.  You can feel the air coming out, near the rear.  Might need to have the timing chain replaced too, while apart.  I don't know anyone that works on these or even owns one.  Met one guy at a store and he said he knew a guy that could do it.  Then the guy told him it was too old to get parts for.  Looks to me Rockauto has everything needed.  Have a 72 I am driving, but it can barely climb hills anymore.  That engine needs to be rebuilt, but I don't have the money.  Been sitting for several months.  Sits much longer, I may as well scrap it.  It still starts and runs.  It is nothing fancy.  Seemed to still have plenty of power until the gasket blew. 

There is a guy at Bills Datsun Shoppe in Clackamas.  I'm not sure the cost, but the guy there was helpful when I asked him a few questions.

Is it the L20B? 

I remember that place out in Clackamas, but I stopped going there for some reason years ago.  Do not remember what happened.  Too far away anyway.  It is the L20.  I never have had to have any 'serious' type work done on the things.  I have been able to do the minor stuff.  Guess one time this one did have a major problem.  Flooded with water.  Don't remember if it was the head or what.  Close to 20 years ago.  Had a place down the street work on it.  Has run great until this incident.  But I never see any imports going into that place.  New ownership too.  Probably younger than any of my old critters.  Last time I went there, I had some kind of problem with defrost and they could not figure out something that was simple.  I do remember that.  And they actually lied to me.  I ended up fixing it myself.  Think they changed ownership, but I am not certain.  Not going there again.

When I replaced the original engine, I bought this one as 'used' from some place that sold a lot of them from Japan.  You can spot this one a mile away.  Has a spark plug to fill a hole in the exhaust manifold!  If that place was still in existence, it might be cheaper just to replace the entire engine.  But not sure people even know how to do that in these garages now a days!  I used to do it, and it was easy back then 'in those days' !   (Over 40 years ago). 

Someone said there are 'plenty' of people around here that work on them.  They all hiding somewhere? 

I do not feel good and do not want to 'tangle' with something I am not experienced with.  Don't have any place to really work on it anyway. 

Anyone out of work that could do it?  I am in no hurry.  Seems it would be easy money for someone that is out of work and not pressed to do it in a hurry.  And did not charge me a ton of money. 

Told one guy I would like to have it done by last November, before the weather set in.  Think that was last July!  Just a few blocks away, and he never contacted me.  Filled out a form for him.  Had my phone numbers and address.   Has 'flocks' of cars outside his garage.  I think they just want fast jobs to do and get money fast.  And not take up room waiting for a head to go and return.  I had plenty of money at that time.  But he also was the one that refused to replace my muffler and catalytic converter on the Ford because it was a 'classic' he told me.  Grrrrr....  Anybody you can believe anymore?  Can't even change a catalytic converter and a muffler on an old Ford?! 

Just read your reply Draker...I thought scrap was still cheap.  But I live on a busy street and see lots of people gathering it now a days to survive.  Guess it is worth the gasoline to take it over and get a few pennies.  People leave all kinds of crap near the curbs to help people.  Economy for many is not good. 

Thanks folks. 

• Like 1

I live in Vancouver WA across the river from Portland OR, what area in Portland do you live in, head gaskets are not that hard to do, I did one on my LZ23 recently, I even have some extra L20B head gaskets(new), don't know the quality though, they came in kits I bought for the gaskets.

By the way do not go to that guy the Clackamas area, he is very expensive and bought the business/reputation, then proceeded to drag it thru the mud.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

I live close to 82nd and Foster.  I can check and see, but I think it could be taken over there with my AAA coverage.  Yeah, I don't remember why, but I did stop going over to that place for some reason a number of years ago.  Seemed something changed, but I do not recall what. 

If you feel you can do it.  Fine.  Looks like it would be easy.  Except maybe for the bolts maybe breaking.  You might have some second thoughts concerning that possibility unless you are experienced correcting the situation if it does occur.  And I am not certain, but it may need a new timing chain...or just an adjustment maybe.  Seemed it made a lot of noise.  I am not used to listening to that thing that carefully.  So loud now, I forgot to listen for the timing chain today when I started it up. 

Yeah, it would be nice to get that thing running again, and I am in no big hurry.  Send me a message with your address and I will contact AAA tomorrow and see if they would take it over to your location.  I think I have the coverage to do so.  I just started it up again today.  Runs nice.  Has high blood pressure.  Have not checked the compression lately,  but think it is still good.  Was running real good until the gasket started going out.  My wife had been driving it back and forth from work..a short distance from here, and I started hearing it getting louder and louder; then realized what was happening.  Took it completely off the road.  Whatever you feel is fair, I will pay you.  The head may have to be shaved.  I don't know.  Have no idea how much they charge to do that now a days.  It does have a lot of mileage on it.  Almost nothing but city miles over the years.  Run it on a highway, and it would probably fall apart!

Several months ago I did pour some stuff into the radiator that I thought maybe would patch it, but that failed.  Did not want to try that again and plug things up. 

Looks like you have been on this forum for a number of years, so I presume you can be trusted.  It is just an old vehicle that has never been fixed up for attraction, but has been dependable for us to drive to the stores and stuff around here.  I would not drive it on any freeway though.  Too many miles on it to do that.  My opinion.  Lift the hood and you can see I have been trying to keep the wiring working!  I put a two barrel Weber on it several years ago.  The windshield leaks, but I put tape around it!  No one wants to steal it!  😀

Keep doing the one thing I do not like to do.  Brakes on the crazy things.  Worse brakes to work on I have ever worked on!  Just did the front brakes on the other one a couple weeks ago.  Cylinders and all.  I ordered some tool to spread the shoes apart, but it has not arrived yet.  Hope I am dead before I have to work on the brakes again.  Tried to get a well known tire company that works on brakes to work on  them after I retired.  That was a waste of money and time.  I had tried to tell the guy that the brakes were not the same as most brakes.  Went in one ear and out the other. 

People steal too many vehicles around here to have any that look attractive to someone.  My opinion over the past many years.  Even have one parked across the street that someone dropped off a few weeks ago.  .  Have one vehicle I keep in a tent.  But everyone knows where it comes from when I do drive it. 

I was hesitant to ask for help on a forum, but glad I did.  Will see what happens. 

By the way; thanks to all of you for what you have said to me.  And particularly in regards to someone that has a bad reputation in the other county.  Nice to know that folks look out for one another on a forum.  Thank you. 

Oh..and it is nice to be on a forum that is not overflowing with advertisements. 

I would prefer to come look at it and decide if I can help you out at your house, I have too many Datsuns at my house, it is one thing for someone to come over here for help, when fixed they leave,  I just don't want some one else's sitting in my driveway.

I will PM you and see if we can pick a day for me to come over so I can take a look at it.

• Like 5

Thanks folks.  I fully agree with Stoffregen Motorsports.  That is why I said at the beginning that I do not have any place to work on it.  I do not want it blocking the drive while waiting for the head to be taken care of, or maybe waiting for other parts from Rockauto to be delivered.  I will find someone around here someday that will solve the problem. If not, my wife can handle the situation after I have gone where I need no automobiles!  At the rate things are going, I would not be surprised anyone would even shave the head on it!  Most probably have never heard the word 'DATSUN' around here. 

I did send an email to a neighbor hinting that I could use their garage if they would let me.  Doubt that is going to happen though.  I am not able to tell them how long I would need to use it.  When working on autos, I usually end up having to do more than expected over the years when I did work on autos.  And this engine may need a timing chain and those spacers or whatever they are called.  I don't know.  Let alone, maybe a different head.  Be best I spend money on getting a catalytic converter and muffler for the Ford if I can find someone that will even do that around here.  Still have to take 77's through DEQ in this state, which I think is ridiculous. 

Thank you.  I am gone. 

• Like 1

Ok, I didn't read all the replies, but I'll ask again - how much do you think is too much for this truck? $1000? $2000?

I own a shop and I can relate to your comment about shops not being honest, but there's more to it than just not being honest. Sometimes I get a feel for a client that they won't be willing to see the job done right. Meaning that their expectations of what the job entails are vastly different from what I think needs to be done. I've grown wary of having the conversation of what it will cost, because one never knows for sure until you tear into the job. Estimating a job means guessing high. Time and materials may seem like a rude response, but it's the most honest way to bill for a job. If you go with an estimated job, chances are that the shop guessed high and will stick to the high number even if it comes in under that.

So back to my question. Do you think it will cost less than a thousand bucks to fix this truck? If so, you're way off. Knowing what I know about L engines, the head is probably in need of some machine work if not welding to repair. They crack and get worn by electrolysis. If the head is too far gone, a replacement will need to be found. That can take a while, to find the right casting, in good shape. Then there's the rest of the truck. Does it need fuel hoses or coolant hoses? How's the radiator? Is there a rat's nest of wiring under the hood? Since one thing always leads to another, I would guess that unless the truck was running perfectly until the gasket blew, it probably has other issues. My guess to repair it (without having an actual look) is about $3000. That $3000 would give you a perfectly running truck that you could drive away.

As a rule, I do not estimate jobs. I give my best guess, but with the understanding that I charge time and materials with the assurance that the customer gets charged only for work that was actually performed.

Does this shed some light on the situation for you?

• Like 1

How long sitting? Year? Good chance water is in there rusting the cylinder and rings. Totally fixable a year ago now might be a mess once the head is off. Who knows. Been a year with out the use of it so it can't be that important to spend much time and money on. You can fix this for as little as $20 for a gasket and a couple of cases of beer (labor) and drive it. If it blows up a week later no big loss if you were going to scrap it anyway. Give away for what you spent on it.

• Like 2

If you have water in the oil or oil in the water do not start and run the engine you take a chance on having the bearings damaged.

Wayno is trust worthy and he knows his Datsuns.

Wayno if possible when you are there take pictures of the 2 521s he has,  The 72 he is talking about scrapping will most likely sel in the Ratsun want adds that is if you do not take it home.  Please post pictures of the trucks Wayno.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

Thanks folks. 

Apparently there is no one close by that has room to work on it at their place.  

Has been years since I have seen one like the ones I have, so guess no one does work on them in this town...errrr 'city'  any longer.   (We have become a city in the past few years). 

I have other priorities now.  

• Like 1

Those of us that own these trucks work on our own as the auto shops of today have college educated techs to work on the modern vehicles of today, they are educated idiots, they can fix whatever the vehicle computer says to fix as they can look up on the computer where the part is on the vehicle, but they themselves cannot actually figure out and fix an issue themselves, if they don't have access to a computer they will not be fixing anything except maybe a flat tire if you have a spare.

These are my daily drivers, I have nothing else to daily drive, they are all custom vehicles I have personally made myself, I have no other modern vehicles as daily drivers, some of us drive our Datsun's.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 1

I tend to agree.  That is the impression I got when I talked to people at auto shops in this area when attempting to find someone to work on the 71.  Particularly when some guy says he cannot put a catalytic converter and a muffler on a 1977 Ford!  That is the newest vehicle we own!  Have had more than 30 vehicles since high school and have never owned a 'new' one.  Just keep the old ones 'going'.  Have hung onto these last vehicles the longest and do not intend to ever buy anything else.  Just keep them going if possible!   I am in no contest for anything fancy.  The 52 is not even a 'show car'...just a daily driver I drive sometimes when it is not raining, that sorta looks nice.

• Like 1

Are there any custom exhaust shops around? We have a chain out this way (in Massachusetts) called Lou's Custom Exhaust. They'll slap tubing on anything with wheels. There has to be something like that near you who will put an exhaust on an old Ford.