Thermostat housing

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

Yes. The L18 housing may not have a threaded hole for the TVV for the EGR. The TVV allows EGR only when the engine is warmed up to operating temperature. But if you have to pass emissions they'll want to see it.

No. If you don't have testing then you can easily run without the EGR.

Do you have one of these...

sQDalt5.jpg

Hose to carburetor base and one to the EGR

Hey Mike, that Thermal Vacuum Valve is broke (I'm here to help).

Any pics of the cracked housing? Is it the upper or lower? Could still be available OEM. I got some recently...will have to pull them out as they still have the part #'s.

I broke the TVV for my motor (3 port version) and found that the part is long discontinued. Since I'm not having to concern with meeting emissions tests (you might not either as is >25 years old) I just plugged the port - already deleted the EGR.

1 hour ago, KELMO said:

Hey Mike, that Thermal Vacuum Valve is broke (I'm here to help).

It's OK I was deleting it and why there is a pipe plug in the hole. Looks better.

28 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

I broke the TVV for my motor (3 port version) and found that the part is long discontinued. Since I'm not having to concern with meeting emissions tests (you might not either as is >25 years old) I just plugged the port - already deleted the EGR.

Be sure to keep the vacuum advance working past it.

14 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

keep the vacuum advance working past it.

Yup, put in a vac line for the dizzy. All my emissions are now either deleted or routed appropriately, cleaned up nicely. Lotsa crap pertains just to the EGR system.

Two hole style:

zpVSVJG.jpg

6KWCDGK.jpg

Single hole style:

9HMsgrA.jpg

T5MUCjk.jpg

Both are still available from your local dealer. If they tell you they are not, shoot me a PM.

• Thanks 1

aoc5ndB.jpg

Also three hole cover design on all L series from '79 on. If you get a used one you must have the matching cover. Run them over some sand paper on glass to improve the mating surfaces. Clean bolt threads and use anti seize on them. Temp senders are all the same so don't break one just to swap them.

• Thanks 1