'80 720 L20B

KDW_80-720

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Block vent may be off or no hose connecting it to the PCV valve. Oil sprays all over the hot exhaust causing smoke and high oil consumption. Should have this pipe coming out of block behind the exhaust manifold with a bend, then a hose going to the intake at base of carburetor.

If PO left the engine plate off they may have left the screen off inside and fucked this up also)

1759537931_motorL20BPCVhosetoblock(nonsmog).JPG.bd3e6b0501b1587b80a7d5d721727baf.JPG

Below is the hose (silver) to PCV valve

294575863_L20Bexinstovepipesetup003(Large).thumb.jpg.4fe975f9f5390801be732f1164486f7a.jpg

• Like 2

DL376RV.jpg

Is that cut off tube there what you're talking about?  Or the two open tubes parallel ish? I can't quite get that shielding off yet, there's a rusted ass stripped bolt holding it on.

I will say that if it's supposed to be those parallel tubes that there is splatters of oil that go through that., not a lot at all.

The pipe at the front is from the missing air pump and directs air into the exhaust ports to reduce emissions.

The block vent comes out of the block and you can see it beside the hand brake cable and just under the throttle cable. It should have a hose on the end connecting it to that block off plate under the carburetor. That block off plate should have a PCV valve screwed into it.

Because it is soo clean it's not the block vent pipe causing the oil loss or smoke but you really should get the PCV valve working.

11 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Because it is soo clean it's not the block vent pipe causing the oil loss or smoke but you really should get the PCV valve working.

Great, I will be getting that taken care of as well... odds are it's probably the piston rings and maybe seals then?  The oil was pretty thin and gassy.  

This has the weber on it, which I know nothing about.  My Z24 had the stock carb which I could figure out relatively easily.  I'm assuming there is adjustments on it somewhere, is there a link on this site or somewhere I can find that information?

I appreciate the input Datzen and everyone else.

Just now, banzai510(hainz) said:

well that metal line on back side of the exhaust manifold unless its plugged that's whats killing you with exhaust smell  Doh!!!!!!!!

I'll get that all off when I'm there.  I hope it's just threaded into there so I can put a plug in it..

DL376RV.jpg

Exhaust leak? could be the smaller curly pipe on the exhaust manifold. I assumed who ever did the EGR delete would have sealed it. Maybe not. That block off plate has hole.... is it plugged?? Previous owners are idiots. All this for an EGR delete and just fuck it all up. And for what??? so it looks cleaner/neater??? No wonder there's missing engine plate.

I see the hole where the PCV was likely supposed to go, it looks like it is open to the air, if it is an open hole your going to need to fix it, it will not run properly with an open hole like that.

Your a half hour north of me, I live in Vancouver WA, if you need help let me know.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

Sorry I meant to say 900 bend facing the block vent.

Like this...

294575863_L20Bexinstovepipesetup003(Larg 

In addition the front metal pipe facing the rear below, should be sealed... it connects to the exhaust manifold and will leak exhaust.

DL376RV.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, wayno said:

I see the hole where the PCV was likely supposed to go, it looks like it is open to the air, if it is an open hole your going to need to fix it, it will not run properly with an open hole like that.

Your a half hour north of me, I live in Vancouver WA, if you help let me know.

Hopefully once I get my FSM I'll actually have some sort of information that I can get through most of. but I will definitely keep it in mind, I am sure I will need help at some point

Okay, so that first tube doesn't need to be hooked up to the PCV?  I'm sorry for asking same shit over and over, but I want to make sure that I'm getting this understanding correct.  The only that needs to be hooked to PCV is going to be the one from the block vent and that other tube is exhaust related? was connected to something else that is no longer there?

lol there was a hose he had connected to both of those tubes that are open, im guessing bypassing the PCV.

The thing is a FSM is likely only going to show you how it is supposed to be, but yours is modified so you need to put the PCV in that hole in the plate and put a hose on the tube near the e-brake cable to the PCV valve, you then need to plug all them other tubes hanging out everywhere.

• Like 1
Just now, wayno said:

The thing is a FSM is likely only going to show you how it is supposed to be, but yours is modified so you need to put the PCV in that hole in the plate and put a hose on the tube near the e-brake cable to the PCV valve, you then need to plug all them other tubes hanging out everywhere.

Perfect.  I'll find something to seal those off.

DL376RV.jpg

N0RARUg.jpg

Looks like the holes don't line up. The PCV would normally go in the top center hole. EGR gasses into the holes on either side.

Here's mine which was similar.

587285742_L20Bintake003.thumb.jpg.f50164df276b98d9c96d2d3ac7b91b07.jpg

I filled one EGR hole with JB weld and tapped the other to take the PCV valve. The middle hole I tapped for a vacuum supply. The rest I ground away so it would look like an earlier non EGR intake. For you it would be easier to drill and tap that cover plate and fit a PCV valve.

wPXiRYX.jpg