82 720 SD22 REVAMP

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is what they all look like, I just re-use them, I don't want to put a large fortune into my builds, a small fortune is enough for me, I just wire wheel everything.

OK, maybe your talking about the rubber piece, I have parted out so many 521/720s over the years that I have a 5 gallon bucket of rubber pieces, Jagman has a good idea below, also my local hardware store has scrap rubber pieces they sell at a discount in several different thicknesses.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 3

I have used tire sidewall rubber for bushings like these. all you need is a drill press and a hole saw (preferable if it is for metal) in the right diameter for the outside of the bushing.  If the center hole needs enlargement (nearly always) use a small diameter hole saw or high speed drill bit  but clamp the piece very securely. The only exception to this method was when the shop I was working in decided to replace the " comfort " floor mat in front of the mill drill and I bagged that for making body mount bushings for my chrysler.  It was tougher to cut than the tire rubber.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, wayno said:

That is what they all look like, I just re-use them, I don't want to put a large fortune into my builds, a small fortune is enough for me, I just wire wheel everything.

OK, maybe your talking about the rubber piece, I have parted out so many 521/720s over the years that I have a 5 gallon bucket of rubber pieces, Jagman has a good idea below, also my local hardware store has scrap rubber pieces they sell at a discount in several different thicknesses.

Man, auto parts stores or the alike on the western side seem to have all those cool little extras laying around or somewhere in stock for people with hobbies. They seem few and far between over here. There is a very useful “nuts&bolts” store up the street and the gentleman that runs it could tell you the dimensions of a bolt/screw on the ground from a mile away. Every time I go in there I tell him to never shut down, cause I’d be screwed(pun intended). Do you happen to know the original size of the 720 bushings? Maybe I could find something close to the original thickness.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jagman said:

I have used tire sidewall rubber for bushings like these. all you need is a drill press and a hole saw (preferable if it is for metal) in the right diameter for the outside of the bushing.  If the center hole needs enlargement (nearly always) use a small diameter hole saw or high speed drill bit  but clamp the piece very securely. The only exception to this method was when the shop I was working in decided to replace the " comfort " floor mat in front of the mill drill and I bagged that for making body mount bushings for my chrysler.  It was tougher to cut than the tire rubber.

This is helpful I’ll have to see what I can scrounge up.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Other than those two updates. I had gotten it out of the garage and decided to go for a spin around the neighborhood before the bed was put on. Well I have two things to say.... it ran like a beauty , and always make sure your lugnuts are tightened. I say this because on my “spin” around the neighborhood my driver side tire came off and hit a car in a driveway. Luckily no damage was done to me the truck or that lady’s car. She was very polite about everything . The reason the tire came off to my assumption is that I had out the lug nuts on while the truck was in the air and must’ve forgotten. I hadn’t worked on that side of the truck in some time and didn’t go double check myself before the drive. So idiot move on my part. The only damage to the truck was a lower control arm bolt connecting to the ball joint  that runs through the torsion bar, was sheared but that’s an easy fix. Keep on truckin 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes that’s exactly the one I’m talking about. Also sorry for the slow updates guys/gals. My next big purchase is tires and I’m trying to decide if I want to use the 14in factory wheels that I was given, or move onto a bigger size wheel and along with that comes finding a design that fits the truck. I’m not a huge fan of the xterra look or some of the newer style. In my opinion it clashes and throws off the look. So hopefully I find something that fits the trucks style that I’m leaning toward. If not, I do like the look of the factory wheels. It’s just easier to find 15 inch rather than 14.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys/girls ! I’m in the motion of turning wrenches again now that the weather is in my favor ! I was hoping to gather some information on tire fitment for 14” wheels. I know my last post was relatable to this but in a way I’m trying to keep the stock-ish appeal with minor flair. My goal is to try and hide as much of the inside fender well as possible. To put it easy I’d like to have a 14in tire with some beefy tread on the wheel. I’ve attached a picture of what I’m imagining (just without the lift) D38-CCA9-D-D9-B3-4-A5-B-AC98-88233-F6171keyboard check software

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually was able to make the ones I had work out. The weaker spots that had rust and where 2 mounting bolts snapped off inside the the threads were actually fixed with some braising and I had them sandblasted. So now they are sturdy. I need to find a good replacement for the gasket inside of the housing as the original was dry rotted and crumbling

• Like 1