82 720 SD22 REVAMP

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sadly no 😞 the cab has finally rested on the frame. I’ve mounted it down. The wiring harness is connected. The brake lines are in, the front shocks are on. Mainly the only things left are connected the grounds, battery, all fluids need to go in (oil, tranny fluid, coolant, and brake fluid.) I’m not gonna fully finish the interior yet. The bed will come off after I get it started this coming weekend.

Alrighty! BIG NEWS! The SD22 fired up yesterday! I finally had that shit eating grin of happiness when she turned over. At first it wouldn’t go but then I remembered I needed to bleed the injectors. The only problems I ran into yesterday was a rear brake cylinder was seized and snapped off while trying to bleed the brakes. Got a new one on order. My radio turned out to no be wired correctly. It’s not turning on. Back to the brakes, pretty sure they have never been bled before due to how the fluid looked( I’ll get a pic for y’all) and I had to beat the rear drum off. It only took about 673 back torquing smacks. I’m excited as hell yall! Can’t wait to be on the road again.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Diesel Dentures said:

8-E69-A57-A-75-E6-4-E0-F-83-BE-E4969686-

In the photo above you can see the hole in the axle flange, right below it is a small dark circle and straight across on the other side is another circle in the darker area, I believe this is where the holes are in the drum where you put a 12mm head bolt in the drum and use a ratchet wrench to remove the drum, here is a photo of the bolts in a drum.

002.JPG

• Like 1

It is common for the e-brake cables to rust/seize when they sit for long periods of time, when I park one of mine and I know it is going to sit there for a while I do not set the e-brake, I use blocks/tire chucks to keep it from moving.

In the past when the cable seizes I remove it, put the cable end in a vice and I break it loose, it would help if both ends were held solid and you could then move the cover back and forth until it slides freely again, I use mass amounts of WD40 or the like on the wire cable, then blow it off the best I can and then use bearing grease on the cable and again slide it back and forth until I have gotten as much grease as I can inside the cable cover, then I put it back in the truck.

Of course you can have new cables made also, but I am too cheap to do that.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

I’m definitely going to give that a whirl. I didn’t want to take it off until the new cylinder came in. But I have this stuff called “Aero-Kroil” made by Kano. I preach by this stuff. It’s what we use in the shipyard for seized metals and stuff alike. It’s WD-40 on steroids. On the can it says “the oil that creeps” and it sure does. I’ve had a few run ins with seized up bolts on other vehicles and this stuff breaks it loose every time. I’ve used it (almost)everywhere needed on the datsun. 

• Like 1

You might want to install a new brake parts kit while you are in there, especially if you are having e brake issues. Motorcycle throttle cable lube is great for e brakes and throttle cables because it doesn't attract dirt like WD-40 and other things do

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright y’all so I’ve come to find out that my e brake cable from the fulcrum to the rear driver tire was totally siezed and fraying in one area. I’m going to purchase the driver and passenger side cables the cable from the firewall to the fulcrum is in good condition. I’ve was on another post with a guy talking about e brake cable lengths which led me to go measure mine and some of the lengths that are being sold on rock auto aren’t exactly matching up. I could double check myself but I wanted to come here and see if anyone had been where I’ve been and had the part number(s) for each side. Or an exact length for each side. Much appreciated in advance!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Little updates for this weekend! Got the bed removed and lightly sanded the rear frame. And got the back end painted. I’m going to hit the axle, springs, diff cover etc. on another day. Still having some trouble finding the correct length parking brake cables for the back half of the truck so that will come soon also. And I guess it’s about time I tackle the gas tank and order the rear suspension.

• Like 1