82 720 SD22 REVAMP

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did not realize that Chilton manual was so detailed about the injection pump servicing, I have lots of manuals for diesel engines.

When you received the gauge cover and gauges did you get the bracket with the gauges, the bracket holds the gauges and cover on the console, if you did not get the bracket then the gauge cover has nothing to hold it in position on the console.

I have more gauges in my truck and they were not made for the bracket, so I siliconed my cover onto the console, and then made a plate for the stock gauges below, they don't really fit that well down there, but I wanted the other gauges up top because they were more important to me.

If you have had your injectors out look at the end of the injector, if it is flat with no crater around the center they are likely good, how much does the engine miss and blow white puffs of smoke when started cold?

The SD22 engine only has 61hp, it is only going to move the 720 so fast, they are great around town, not so great on the freeway unless all your trying to do is 55mph, they get really good mileage at 50/55mph(I have gotten 36mpg), not so great at 65/70mph(I averaged 27/28mpg), around town I always got 25mpg(SD22) and still do with the SD25 engines I have now.

005.JPG

006.JPG

001.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

Honestly I don’t see much white smoke at all. Only after a few days of not running it. It’s been a few months since the truck was started. I ran it for about 2 hours before I started the dismantling. I was hoping just for a good tune-up ya know? And I’ll send a pic of what I received for the gauges. It looks the same as what you have pictured. I didn’t know the plastic mount was supposed to pertrude from the console. I thought it sat flush inside of it.

• Like 1

What parts are you looking for exactly? I have about 14 720 trucks total now lol. I'm about an hour south of Richmond. And having fresh injectors really does perk these engines up. I installed a set into a sd22 right before I pulled the motor. Right now my running 82 truck has an sd25 in it. The last time I ran it it decided to develop a fuel leak at the fuel return line and the hand primer so I'll have to get that sorted. The motor only has 58k miles on it and the body has around 218k miles i believe. If you have a center console and the plastic housing that holds the gauges into the center console you should be okay. The plastic plate that says Datsun on the non gauge center console pushes out and the gauges mount there at the top.

Edited by SLO720
  • Like 1

Honestly man if you have stuff for sale I would really love to come check it out. I have family in Richmond and I’m about 2hrs and 15min from Richmond. I would love to have the front valance( I believe that’s the name) I’ll put a pic up of what I mean. Ultimately I would really love to have a 4wd frame and put this SD22 into it which is me starting from scratch again. There’s always tiny parts that I would like to have. I really enjoy just seeing stuff on other 720’s that I don’t have or have never seen and making it work on what I have. I also need kicker panels. Mine fell subject to water damage. A dash without cracks would also be nice. I’m sure there’s more but off the top of my head I can’t think of everything.

• Like 1

You need a valance of the era your truck is, 1980 thru 82 are the same(mount bolt patterns), 1983 up are the same(mount bolt patterns), early grills/sheet metal parts are different from late grills/sheet metal although 1981 thru 1986 are interchangeable, meaning if you transfer everything from a specific year it will bolt right in, the 1980 is different, the core support is a one year part made for the L20b.

The center consoles are hard to find anymore complete, I have not seen a complete one in a truck in a wrecking yard in years.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

I may have a 2wd skid plate on one of my trucks. As of right now I don't have any arm rest center consoles. However, if you like to junkyard hop you can find a decent console out of the manual transmission pathfinder/hardbody pickup. I have used these successfully in 4wd pickups. But the 2wd trucks also offer a similar console. 

What other parts are you looking for? I have trucks scattered in a few different locations. I have four trucks at one of my friends house, including my dually and diesel. To do a 4wd conversion means proper gearing and a lot of modifications to the oil pan and pickup tube. I do have a complete set of tan plastic kick panels I could possibly sell but they are getting harder to find. I think I have a few sets of sd22 Injectors laying around if you'd like to have a set to get rebuilt then pull yours

If you venture around Richmond/Petersburg area a good set of junkyards to hit up are Chesterfield Auto Parts they currently have 2 4wd trucks in different yards. The blue truck was rather picked over. Also Russell's jy outside of Petersburg has a blue single cab 720. Only other junkyards I've hit are pick-n-save out of Lynchburg (also have a yard in Roanoke). They normally get a few of our trucks in throughout the year but theyre a pricier yard then CAP. If you go to Russell's they're private and like to charge by the piece so always ask. If you follow "Nissan 720 Owners" group on fb you've probably seen my postings. 

Edited by SLO720
  • Like 1
On 7/26/2020 at 2:04 PM, SLO720 said:

What parts are you looking for exactly? I have about 14 720 trucks total now lol. I'm about an hour south of Richmond. 

If you have parts you will sell I will definitely keep you in mind. There is a chance I will be fixing up a 4x4 720 soon. 

• Like 1

A wild dream was getting a 4x4 frame and putting everything from my 2wd onto the frame but I know it’s not exactly a plug n play and there’s mods that would most likely need to be done. Only reason I say wild dream is because there’s not many 4x4 frames for sale around my area unless SLO720 has one and I could tow it home. Just a man fantasizing about my slow diesel on the beach

• Like 1

That's funny because I am debating something similar right now. I just looked at a 4x4 King Cab truck for sale but the floor board are rusted through pretty bad. I don't think I would swap everything from my two wheel drive to the 4x4 but I would definitely take the best parts from each which would mostly come from my two wheel drive since it is in excellent shape. I originally wanted a 4x4 when I bought my truck but most of them I see are really rusted up.

I'd like to fix up a 4x4 just like was popular in the 80s and early 90s with the brush guard, roll bars in bed, and big round KC lights mounted on top of the roll bar!

Edited by powderfinger
  • Like 2

I do have a st 4x4 2wd cab and bed on a very clean 4x4 frame. I stole the hubs, power doors, and heater box out of it I think. If you don't want the cab and bed I may be willing to let it go. I'll have to look at the frame it's been sitting a couple years or so but it was painted before I got it and looked good from what I remember. I didn't do the bed cab swap someone started it and never finished. Also yanked the motor and transmission. To run your diesel long tail transmission you'll need a short driveshaft and t case flange from an 80-82 4x4 720

• Like 1