82 720 SD22 REVAMP

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started off the weekend with some paint of various engine parts. I removed the old steering system for the install of a new 6 piece steering kit with idler arm. Also got 2 front KYB gas-a-just shocks (not pictured). The shocks didn’t go in due to lack of weight on the chassis not allowing clearance from the upper control arms to the tower. I’m no welder but I have a machine and a buddy who was willing to teach/ help me patch the wall on the bed ( he is pictured😏). I’ve taken quite a liking to welding as I’ve wanted to learn for some time. Another side note is that this thin metal is very tedious to work with but we got it done. I used metal from the roof of the old cab. Everything has been removed from the original cab and it has been chopped and is going to be taken to the scrapyard this Monday 😞. I got the back pane out because it is already tinted and was hoping I could save a buck on tint and buy a new gasket to put this baby in the new cab. On another note possibly this weekend or next the new cab is going to hit that frame and then the bed will come off. Stay tuned! 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys/gals, I know it’s the middle of the week but I got some “cool to me” new stuff. So I went ahead and put some time in the garage tonight. Nothing huge. Some small stuff. I cleaned the floor mats and put them into the new cab along with some resto on the rear seats. I don’t have the floor mats or rear seats changes pictured yet, but here’s something for the time being. Hope y’all enjoy (it’s my first time  but I think it passes the “more than okay” test.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like an awesome project! Makes me want to get back on my 720 diesel :). Its also nice to see another Virginian with a diesel pickup (central Virginia here). Idk if anyone discussed it but the Injector disassembly is not hard and replacing the complete nozzle assembly would be the way to go. You'd just have to worry about having equal pop pressure across all 4 injectors. If you do not have a service manual for the diesel trucks let me know I may have a spare laying around. You can usually find them under $20 on eBay.

Oh man! Finally someone semi close! Glad to see ya. I’d really enjoy having the injectors rebuilt, I know it’s pricey but I feel like it would really make the truck “hum” the way it should. I have extra parts here and there so don’t be afraid to ask. I’m also on the hunt for a few parts myself. Another member had sent me the original battery gauge and an aftermarket oil pressure gauge along with the plastic that they fit into, alas I don’t think the mount fits into my center console they way it should. It will take some fabbing. I’d love to have the original brush guard.

• Like 1