82 720 SD22 REVAMP

Hey everybody, so about 4 years ago I bought my first 720 from a friend who’s grandfather originally purchased it. I had known about this truck long before I bought it as (Bryan) sold it to our buddy (Michael) and then repurchased it down the road. Now it’s all mine. I was thrilled one night to find out it was a diesel and right away I was interested. Without further ado this truck had 82k original miles on it and drives like a top, but man was it a tetnus shot on four mismatch wheels. The floor pans might as well have been custom air intakes. Not to mention the shoddy “repair” work that was attempted before I got my grubby little paws on it. (I’ll try to keep it short). It sat on the sidelines for awhile after the injection pump quit on me and that’s when I found this amazing site. You guys have never heard of me but everyone’s info has been so helpful. I finally made an account after years of hiding in the shadows. I figure it’s time for pictures of the progress I’ve made the past few months after really hitting the restorative process hard. Any comments/info/ help is greatly appreciated it’s gonna be fun sharing this stuff to people who have a common interest/hobby. Apologies in advance for the out of order pictures. Uploaded them all at once.

http://3-B351-A36-1495-414-C-B6-BA-E62-CC86-CE3

2-E7196-C9-B307-48-BB-BA57-D487304-BFE64

A9-FA892-F-431-D-405-D-A508-7486-ACF2-B6

F4604704-827-B-40-FA-9-A99-99-D27-B741-F

E61-D29-DC-E61-D-45-D6-B188-0134754-B0-A

FA624-A55-EA01-4243-99-E4-9-E0-CA0-E756-

FB1262-B5-3754-44-A9-8-BB2-DB39331111-A5

FEEA4-C60-7-A70-49-F6-B6-C4-DDC03-C43799

• Like 2
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Post image is fine, I don't know what type of computer you have so I really don't know how to tell you how to post from your computer, I have a desk top and click on the photo I want to publish, then I click on share and copy the "hotlink for forums"(second from the bottom), and then paste it in the field of your post, I am only able to post one photo at a time using Postimage, I have never been able to post more then one at a time, do you have a link to your account?

007.jpg

Please don't not use Photobucket(Photolame).

• Like 1

So before I get all the pictures figured out, I’ll go ahead and fill everyone in on what’s been done so far. I found a replacement cab off of an 83 720. Ive painted all the important areas with gray POR15 and I’ve painted half the frame so far with black POR15 I’ve transferred almost everything over from the original cab to the new cab all the way from wiring harness to brake lines and everything in between . I’m currently putting all new ball joints and shocks on it. Including sway bar joints. Replacing gaskets left and right. I’ve sandblasted the upper control arms and rattle canned then black. I’ve put in a new center support bearing. My E-brake cable has been frozen since purchase so that’ll be soon. Also had the exhaust manifold sandblasted and repainted with high temp paint. Contemplating giving it heat wrap l. That’s currently what’s off the top of my head. I’ll try and upload pics before the night is over. I’m on eastern time zone I live in Chesapeake/ Virginia Beach.

• Like 2

I have not had good luck painting over POR 15.  I have used an etching primer after roughing the POR and cleaning it with enamel reducer but even so the primer and  color coats have a tendency not to adhere.

• Like 1

Appreciate it man! I don’t plan to paint over the POR15. I’m fine with leaving the engine bay gray.  I did notice that it doesn’t stick well to already painted surfaces. I’m still deciding on what color to paint the entire truck. Stuck between gunmetal gray, white, or tan. I noticed when I was swapping then that my heater core hoses have a weak point and will need to be replaced. Hopefully I can find some replacements

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Will have updates coming soon. Ran into some family time this past weekend so I didn’t accomplish a single thing on the truck. I’m having a buddy come over this weekend to weld some of the front of the bed (behind cab) and am going to order a whole new idler arm kit with all new linkages and such. Any good suggestions on shocks? Since mine isn’t 4wd I did want a 3” lift for a look but that’s more work than buying a 4x4 so I’m gonna keep it stock for now and may go to 2” drop spindles in the future.

• Like 1

Alright y’all, little progress this weekend. I painted some old parts, got a new thermostat, and finished the front end of the frame with rust protection. I’m waiting on a 6 piece steering setup ( new tie rods, sway bar, the whole apple). Also ordered two gas-a-just KYB shocks for the front. I will order the rear when I come to it along with drilled and slotted rotors on the way. Here are some pics of my progress.

I plan on putting all new hoses and some steel braided heater hose for the intake and exhaust heater hoses. Painting the thermo housing made me question if I should paint more to match and even though I don’t plan on pinning the pedal, kind of thinking about wrapping the exhaust for the look(and the added benefits of course😉). 

• Like 1