• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only place the confederate flag belongs is flying over a Cracker Barrel that is showing a Gone With the Wind and Song of the South double feature. That symbol is so synonymous with hate and oppression of black people that Mississippi -- a state not known for it's civil rights protections-- has it on their state flag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Last year in Arkansas I saw on several different occasions black men flying the Rebel (Confederate) flag. I asked a couple of them about it and they said it's a sign of southern pride. I might be back down there in the next few months and will get this fully confirmed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, bastardo said:

The only place the confederate flag belongs is flying over a Cracker Barrel that is showing a Gone With the Wind and Song of the South double feature. That symbol is so synonymous with hate and oppression of black people that Mississippi -- a state not known for it's civil rights protections-- has it on their state flag.

Has Gone with the Wind always been offensive or did it just recently offend you because someone said it should ? And please don't use the word "cracker" on this site,it's offensive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

GWTW is famous for being first in a few things. Mostly it's first for being toooo long and tooo boring. It's like watching The Jefferson's, Good Times, The Cosby Show and Sanford and Son and believing this is how black people live.

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Won't that make you a northern aggressor?or a carpet bagger??

I was in North Vancouver at one of the All Nissan shows and a guy called me a Yankee and said I was so far north that I was in the south. Apparently he didn't like Americans?

• Like 1

never had any love for the confeddy flag and I say that as someone whose family lived in the south from the 1760s until 1906. never meant anything to me although I did once get a chuckle out of watching a white Pennsylvania yankee buck sergeant order a black Louisiana SP4 to remove a license plate depicting the stars and bars from the front of his POV '77 Nova because it was rayciss.

104431953_3146670552042783_3593213583514

25 minutes ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

never had any love for the confeddy flag and I say that as someone whose family lived in the south from the 1760s until 1906. never meant anything to me although I did once get a chuckle out of watching a white Pennsylvania yankee buck sergeant order a black Louisiana SP4 to remove a license plate depicting the stars and bars from the front of his POV '77 Nova because it was rayciss.

104431953_3146670552042783_3593213583514

"Nothing is better for me than thee".

(old Quaker Oats advertising slogan)

Wasn't she dating Uncle Ben?

Edited by angliagt
10 hours ago, john510 said:

Has Gone with the Wind always been offensive [...]?

Yes, it depicts the "happy slave" myth; which becomes ingrained in popular culture, and thus is used by bigots and racists as a bolster to their argument that slavery was positive. It's kind of how the movie Deliverance promotes the misconception that all Georgians are "cousin-fuckers".

On a side note: how the FUCK do you survive heatstroke wearing a neoprene vest in the Georgia heat?

12 minutes ago, bastardo said:

Yes, it depicts the "happy slave" myth; which becomes ingrained in popular culture, and thus is used by bigots and racists as a bolster to their argument that slavery was positive. It's kind of how the movie Deliverance promotes the misconception that all Georgians are "cousin-fuckers".

On a side note: how the FUCK do you survive heatstroke wearing a neoprene vest in the Georgia heat?

Makes perfect sense.An 80 something year old movie all of a sudden is offensive.Who has ever used  a movie to bolster the argument that slavery was positive ? Who has ever in modern times argued it was positive ? Other than maybe some klan lunatic.LOL.What are your thoughts on Rap music and the use of a particular word ?

2 hours ago, angliagt said:

"Nothing is better for me than thee".

(old Quaker Oats advertising slogan)

This quote is wrong.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, john510 said:

Makes perfect sense.An 80 something year old movie all of a sudden is offensive.Who has ever used  a movie to bolster the argument that slavery was positive ? Who has ever in modern times argued it was positive ? Other than maybe some klan lunatic.LOL.What are your thoughts on Rap music and the use of a particular word ?

I think that on our long trip towards personal and cultural enlightenment, lots of stuff we didn't think much about or took for granted is offensive. Have you read Conan Doyle? Some of his descriptions of  anyone who isn't a WASP is pretty racist. I just hope they don't burn all the books and movies.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, john510 said:

Makes perfect sense.An 80 something year old movie all of a sudden is offensive.Who has ever used  a movie to bolster the argument that slavery was positive ? Who has ever in modern times argued it was positive ? 

Just because something was once acceptable does not mean that we are frozen in amber as a society. We evolve and better ourselves the best we can. Do you still shit in your pants? You once did and thought it was ok, then you grew up.

42 minutes ago, bastardo said:

Just because something was once acceptable does not mean that we are frozen in amber as a society. We evolve and better ourselves the best we can. Do you still shit in your pants? You once did and thought it was ok, then you grew up.

Does Rap offend you ? should we remove that from our history also ? Gone with the Wind is a fucking movie ! Fictional,fake,scripted,actors.When we get this pussified we're all doomed.

1 hour ago, bastardo said:

I was too young to remember shitting my pants but yes I grew up and was 'potty trained'. I'm somewhat elderly now, newly retired and looking forwards to when I can begin shitting my pants again for someone else to clean up and not give two fucks. Ahh the circle of life.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, john510 said:

Does Rap offend you ?

First to directly address your question, no I like rap.

Now to address the subtext of the question. not liking rap is like not liking documentaries, it's a genre of a medium in this case music. it's purely a personal taste issue.

It doesn't really matter if something is offensive I can turn away if I don't like it. Hate-speech isn't just offensive, it's hurtful. Hurting people is wrong.

Do I mind that some black people and other people of color use the N-word? No. They are removing the power from the word and reassigning it to their own purpose. That is their right afforded them through the centuries of oppression they have endured. It's a lot like some women using bitch in an empowering way, you still don't call your wife one... I hope. 

Now what you are trying to falsely equivocate is the use of hurtful language and a genre. Just because some country music is racist and uses hurtful language is all country music bad? Not because certain individual artists use hate speech. I love Jell Biafra and he uses the N-word in Holiday in Cambodia however it is contextual and he is portraying a negative character in the use of the word. However David Allen Coe's song about a black man named Leroy is directly hateful and uses hurtful language intended to harm. It further supports my argument if you want to bring up Johnny Rebel.

should we remove that from our history also ? 

Nobody wants to erase your precious confederate past, we want to provide context for future generations and illustrate the backwards ways and misrepresentations depicted in the movie.

Gone with the Wind is a [...] movie ! Fictional,fake,scripted,actors.

Exactly and the problems with that fiction is what I addressed in my earlier statements.

Even the ICP got it right, and those guys are strictly clown shoes.

Insane Clown Posse Burn the Confederate Flag with Their New T-Shirt