4 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Drove by a small run down house in Mt Vernon, WA. 30 yrs ago the had FUCK YOU painted on the front door. Told a few of my friends and they didn't believe me so we cruised by. It was still there a few years later until the house was torn down. 

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand why this showed up in Pascagoula. I was in Pascagoula for most of May. It is a depressing shithole. In fact I was supposed to go back early this month. The money is good but it isn't enough to go back to that sweltering toilet. It is a grungy shipyard town with grungy homes, stores and shitty greasy restaurants. It's one of those towns where even the walmart is shitty. Walmarts are all the same so how do certain towns seem to fuck them up like the rest of the town? That being said people were friendly for the most part. 

51 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

I understand why this showed up in Pascagoula. I was in Pascagoula for most of May. It is a depressing shithole. In fact I was supposed to go back early this month. The money is good but it isn't enough to go back to that sweltering toilet. It is a grungy shipyard town with grungy homes, stores and shitty greasy restaurants. It's one of those towns where even the walmart is shitty. Walmarts are all the same so how do certain towns seem to fuck them up like the rest of the town? That being said people were friendly for the most part. 

Sounds like a lot of places. Depressing. I'll never understand people.

4 hours ago, paradime said:

Seriously, sense when has any military action not included a war of propaganda? My distrust and criticism of US news media is well documented, ....

Just coverage is so one sided. Makes me wonder....

If you want to see how far this propaganda worm hole goes, look at some of the academic research being done in Psych Political Science. For instance:

Disgust Sensitivity and the Neurophysiology of Left-Right Political Orientations

Abstract

Disgust has been described as the most primitive and central of emotions. Thus, it is not surprising that it shapes behaviors in a variety of organisms and in a variety of contexts—including homo sapien politics. People who believe they would be bothered by a range of hypothetical disgusting situations display an increased likelihood of displaying right-of-center rather than left-of-center political orientations. Given its primal nature and essential value in avoiding pathogens disgust likely has an effect even without registering in conscious beliefs. In this article, we demonstrate that individuals with marked involuntary physiological responses to disgusting images, such as of a man eating a large mouthful of writhing worms, are more likely to self-identify as conservative and, especially, to oppose gay marriage than are individuals with more muted physiological responses to the same images. This relationship holds even when controlling for the degree to which respondents believe themselves to be disgust sensitive and suggests that people's physiological predispositions help to shape their political orientations.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0025552

Political Ideology:
Its Structure, Functions, and Elective Affinities

Abstract
Ideology has re-emerged as an important topic of inquiry among so- cial, personality, and political psychologists. In this review, we examine recent theory and research concerning the structure, contents, and func- tions of ideological belief systems. We begin by defining the construct and placing it in historical and philosophical context. We then examine different perspectives on how many (and what types of) dimensions in- dividuals use to organize their political opinions. We investigate (a) how and to what extent individuals acquire the discursive contents associ- ated with various ideologies, and (b) the social-psychological functions that these ideologies serve for those who adopt them. Our review high- lights “elective affinities” between situational and dispositional needs of individuals and groups and the structure and contents of specific ideolo- gies. Finally, we consider the consequences of ideology, especially with respect to attitudes, evaluations, and processes of system justification.

https://pleeps.org/en/wp-content/uploads/Political-Ideology-Its-Structure-Functions-and-Elective-Affinities.pdf

The Implied Truth Effect: Attaching Warnings to a Subset of Fake News Headlines Increases Perceived Accuracy of Headlines Without Warnings

Abstract

What can be done to combat political misinformation? One prominent intervention involves attaching warnings to headlines of news stories that have been disputed by third-party fact-checkers. Here we demonstrate a hitherto unappreciated potential consequence of such a warning: an implied truth effect, whereby false headlines that failto get tagged are considered validated and thus are seen as more accurate. With a formal model, we demonstrate that Bayesian belief updating can lead to such an implied truth effect. In Study 1 (n = 5,271 MTurkers), we find that although warnings do lead to a modest reduction in perceived accuracy of false headlines relative to a control condition (particularly for politically concordant headlines), we also observed the hypothesized implied truth effect: the presence of warnings caused untagged headlines to be seen as more accurate than in the control. In Study 2 (n = 1,568 MTurkers), we find the same effects in the context of decisions about which headlines to consider sharing on social media. We also find that attaching verifications to some true headlines—which removes the ambiguity about whether untagged headlines have not been checked or have been verified—eliminates, and in fact slightly reverses, the implied truth effect. Together these results contest theories of motivated reasoning while identifying a potential challenge for the policy of using warning tags to fight misinformation—a challenge that is particularly concerning given that it is much easier to produce misinformation than it is to debunk it.

https://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/abs/10.1287/mnsc.2019.3478

I guess I am the target of these articles. I am a caveman according to them. For one Man to stick his dick in another Mans butt, well honestly the thought does disgust me. That being said I do have Gay friends that I care about and ignore what they actually do together and we enjoy hanging out but they are grown men and do not force their behavior as normal. They accept they are different and I can understand that. I can accept un normal as long as you don't force it as normal. If you have these kinds of thoughts nowadays you are a branded all kinds of whatever and should rot in hell but in the wild the animal fathers kill their un normal that's nature. We are still beasts underneath and to label these tendencies as wrong or primitive as far as a man and women being together is normal is to ignore the natural tendencies of the human nature. I am a Man I am only interested in Women I will try to tolerate other views  but will not be forced to accept them as " normal" and gladly return shit that is being dished out back! If you are grown adults do whatever you want. Just don't force it down my throat as normal or how it is supposed to be. If you prefer young children I know how to make a corpse "Dissapear".

Mr Caveman.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

I guess I am the target of these articles. I am a caveman according to them. For one Man to stick his dick in another Mans butt, well honestly the thought does disgust me. That being said I do have Gay friends that I care about and ignore what they actually do together and we enjoy hanging out but they are grown men and do not force their behavior as normal. They accept they are different and I can understand that. I can accept un normal as long as you don't force it as normal. If you have these kinds of thoughts nowadays you are a branded all kinds of whatever and should rot in hell but in the wild the animal fathers kill their un normal that's nature. We are still beasts underneath and to label these tendencies as wrong or primitive as far as a man and women being together is normal is to ignore the natural tendencies of the human nature. I am a Man I am only interested in Women I will try to tolerate other views  but will not be forced to accept them as " normal" and gladly return shit that is being dished out back! If you are grown adults do whatever you want. Just don't force it down my throat as normal or how it is supposed to be. If you prefer young children I know how to make a corpse "Dissapear".

Mr Caveman.

Ok Mr Caveman, are you saying your user name is why you're being targeted, or that because you're straight you're a caveman? 

My point is, these short sighted thin premised psych studies are what shapes political propaganda around issues like gay marriage. If I'm a republican strategist with this "psychological insight", (using the term loosely) how can I use it to motivate my base, or appeal to an undecided population. Or if I'm a Democratic strategist, how can I use it to focus my efforts in normalizing gay marriage? This dark side of psychology scares the live'n shit out of me, because it saturates the rhetoric of our bias news media, and 99% of the viewing public has no idea their noodle is being played. Oh, but my side is telling the truth and the other side is disgusting. Fish in a barrel.

5 hours ago, paradime said:

Ok Mr Caveman, are you saying your user name is why you're being targeted, or that because you're straight you're a caveman? 

My point is, these short sighted thin premised psych studies are what shapes political propaganda around issues like gay marriage. If I'm a republican strategist with this "psychological insight", (using the term loosely) how can I use it to motivate my base, or appeal to an undecided population. Or if I'm a Democratic strategist, how can I use it to focus my efforts in normalizing gay marriage? This dark side of psychology scares the live'n shit out of me, because it saturates the rhetoric of our bias news media, and 99% of the viewing public has no idea their noodle is being played. Oh, but my side is telling the truth and the other side is disgusting. Fish in a barrel.

Funny thing is my username is the name of a boat my parents had when I was a kid. It drew a lot of water for its size and we often ran aground therefore were always watching the bottom. Also the W in the name was painted with a bikini bottom on it making it look like a butt. Anyways I am an assman(women's only) and focus like a lazerbeam when a nice firm and perky one sashays on by. As far as being manipulated that is pretty much the whole point of the TV. Comercials are a 30 second opportunity for companies to manipulate you to buy their shit. Politicians convince you to buy their bullshit and news channels try to keep you glued to your seat with "breaking news" banners and stupid drumming music while making buckets of money from the companies trying to sell you their shit. If news gets a little boring throw in a sex topic and the herd will willingly stay seated. Threw out my TVs about 19 years ago. Waste of time and man those comercials made you want to get up and eat something every 10 minutes.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, paradime said:

One will cancel out the other or others will see that they both can't be correct and question it. I hope.

• Like 2

All that psych bull about disgust and political leaning is bogus.  I am typically very politically conservative, but rarely register disgust as a visceral reaction.  

https://www.startrek.com/database_article/gagh

Also, I have no trust for any claimed "third-party fact-checkers", as they have generally been proven to insert bias. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Funny thing is my username is the name of a boat my parents had when I was a kid. It drew a lot of water for its size and we often ran aground therefore were always watching the bottom. Also the W in the name was painted with a bikini bottom on it making it look like a butt. Anyways I am an assman(women's only) and focus like a lazerbeam when a nice firm and perky one sashays on by. As far as being manipulated that is pretty much the whole point of the TV. Comercials are a 30 second opportunity for companies to manipulate you to buy their shit. Politicians convince you to buy their bullshit and news channels try to keep you glued to your seat with "breaking news" banners and stupid drumming music while making buckets of money from the companies trying to sell you their shit. If news gets a little boring throw in a sex topic and the herd will willingly stay seated. Threw out my TVs about 19 years ago. Waste of time and man those comercials made you want to get up and eat something every 10 minutes.

Ass man X2. Cuz God knew what he was doing with the hiny magnet design. What a great name for a boat! I graduated from a 400 lb. Hobie 16 (6" draft with the centerboards up) to a 6,500 lb. Catalina 27 named I Winned with a fairly shallow 4' draft. I never took clearance for granted though, because our coastline is always scattered with heartbreak sailboats run aground.

I used to work at a photography studio in Sausalito. For  years there was a gorgeous 3 mast, clear coat aluminum hull sailing yacht with fully automated mast ferruling sails all controlled from the bridge. Unfortunately, the owner (some Oracle exec) had ZERO sailing experience. He took possession, motored just outside the Golden Gate, raised full sail in 30 mph wind and washed it up on the cliffs 400 yards from where it was made. You can't fix stupid with stupid money. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Case in point, the memorial I attended in San Diego was on a sailboat off Point Loma to scatter the ashes of my aunt who grew up in OB. Zoom in on the cliffs and you'll see another heartbreak right bellow the lighthouse. SD's infamous June gloom for additional effect.

wreck.jpg

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, paradime said:

Case in point, the memorial I attended in San Diego was on a sailboat off Point Loma to scatter the ashes of my aunt who grew up in OB. Zoom in on the cliffs and you'll see another heartbreak right bellow the lighthouse. SD's infamous June gloom for additional effect.

wreck.jpg

OB? Not sure where the lighthouse is in the picture,

or how to zoom in.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, paradime said:

Ocean Beach which is out of site off to the left, the cliff bellow the white structure on the right. The actual lighthouse is a bit to the left.  If you're Mac or PC hit the command key and + to zoom in, - to zoom back out.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, paradime said:

wreck.jpg

Well I have a fleet. No need to tell a psychiatrist how many boats I have because it would be instant committal. All sail, powerboats run whatever, I hate bone collecting. If you are not going to take care of it sell it to someone who will! At some point I will have to thin the herd but I enjoy every moment with my fiberglass "kids". All have been restorations. Yes I guess I qualify as "sick" here is the flag ship with my favorite sailing dinghy.

20220107_141715.jpg

• Like 2

Dude, That's a big kid. A yawl that size is a need machine. I crewed and worked on my dad's buddy Dave's 53ft Super Maramu for a few summers. Just fun stuff not racing, but we still hauled ass any chance we got, meaning when his wife there. 

• Like 1