• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry that happened. I lived in Cali 89 to 95 going to school in Vallejo. In all honesty the level of crime was appalling and treated like that was just part of life living there. I hauled ass after graduation and swore to never go back. I did go back for a wedding in SF 10 years later and stayed at a B&B on Haight st for the experience. Holy shit! Junkies, homeless and human feces everywhere! I heard it hasn't improved. Life is too short to live like that. My wife and I shift between Fl and Maine. Once we left the Maine house unlocked by accident for 8 months. Nothing was touched. There are still gas pumps that don't need a pin and honor station farms stands that sell produce and eggs. A cooler on the side of the road says EGGS! There are eggs in the cooler, a Tupperware container with cash to make change and leave your money. In Florida or probably anywhere else in 15 minutes there would be no eggs, no cash and no cooler! 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, bottomwatcher said:

Sorry that happened. I lived in Cali 89 to 95 going to school in Vallejo. In all honesty the level of crime was appalling and treated like that was just part of life living there. I hauled ass after graduation and swore to never go back. I did go back for a wedding in SF 10 years later and stayed at a B&B on Haight st for the experience. Holy shit! Junkies, homeless and human feces everywhere! I heard it hasn't improved. Life is too short to live like that. My wife and I shift between Fl and Maine. Once we left the Maine house unlocked by accident for 8 months. Nothing was touched. There are still gas pumps that don't need a pin and honor station farms stands that sell produce and eggs. A cooler on the side of the road says EGGS! There are eggs in the cooler, a Tupperware container with cash to make change and leave your money. In Florida or probably anywhere else in 15 minutes there would be no eggs, no cash and no cooler! 

The eggs would be there.  On the ground and surely broken.  The rest would be a memory.  

• Like 2

I went over to Ratsun.net on FB and read a post by Russ Shackfurd, asking for people to call 911 if they saw a very nice Datsun truck (There was a picture) that had been recently stolen.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

A number of commenters on the thread admonished that stolen property is not a threat to life and the 911 line should not be used. I understand that property crimes are low priority, but this capitulation to the criminal element is sickening. It is violation of the social contract. To form a cohesive society, we agreed that a third party (the police) enforce the rules adopted by the democracy. But, what happens when the police fail to enforce? When property crimes, city codes (e.g. Don’t shit on the sidewalk) are pushed so far back in the que they become meaningless?

On bad days. I hope BL-Anti-Democ ,whatever, achieves their  police defunding goal. The police are not protecting me from them.

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, frankendat said:

I went over to Ratsun.net on FB and read a post by Russ Shackfurd, asking for people to call 911 if they saw a very nice Datsun truck (There was a picture) that had been recently stolen.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

A number of commenters on the thread admonished that stolen property is not a threat to life and the 911 line should not be used. I understand that property crimes are low priority, but this capitulation to the criminal element is sickening. It is violation of the social contract. To form a cohesive society, we agreed that a third party (the police) enforce the rules adopted by the democracy. But, what happens when the police fail to enforce? When property crimes, city codes (e.g. Don’t shit on the sidewalk) are pushed so far back in the que they become meaningless?

On bad days. I hope BL-Anti-Democ ,whatever, achieves their  police defunding goal. The police are not protecting me from them.

Honestly I hate theft. In fact I would be perfectly fine with shooting someone trying to rob me.

Police defunding goal is nothing about getting rid of the police in reality, they just want to replace the police with their own morality policing based system. This is just the Russian Revolution happening all over again. 

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, frankendat said:

I did call the non-emergency police line just to confirm they wouldn't send anyone out to take a report - do it online. I've been through this before when I had tools stolen. Might as well write it out on physical paper and then light it on fire 🤷‍♂️

I'd love to go vigilante on this, but don't have the time/resources/arms 😅

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Honestly I hate theft. In fact I would be perfectly fine with shooting someone trying to rob me.

Police defunding goal is nothing about getting rid of the police in reality, they just want to replace the police with their own morality policing based system. This is just the Russian Revolution happening all over again. 

I also hate theft, understand and agree, the problem is shooting a thief will get you 15-20. However, and this is a subtle but important point, shooting a robber is often deemed justified. Theft is a crime against property. Robbery is a crime against people.  I bring that up, because it is a distinction that should removed, but I have yet to see anyone on either side of the isle promote it.

Reinstating the fleeing felon doctrine would be a good move in that direction.

It is not as crazy as it sounds. Texas had a law for a long time (not anymore) that justified shooting someone attempting to steal your horse.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I did call the non-emergency police line just to confirm they wouldn't send anyone out to take a report - do it online. I've been through this before when I had tools stolen. Might as well write it out on physical paper and then light it on fire 🤷‍♂️

I'd love to go vigilante on this, but don't have the time/resources/arms

I feel for you, as said brilliantly by Travolta in Pulp Fiction, "What's more chicken shit than fucking with a man's automobile."   

• Like 3

Probably cheaper and easier to lock shit up, lighting, cameras, disable the car, put NRA stickers everywhere and get good property insurance. Talk to neighbors about looking out for each other. Write down license plates of suspicious slow moving cars. Many thefts are a crime of opportunity. Fuck the police... anyone who relies on them is a fool.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, angliagt said:

I think the "He needed kill'n" defense still works in some parts of the South.              

In the mid 1960s in Choto MT [may have screwed up the spelling] an older retired man lived peacefully.  He would get up. go to the town bar/restaurant, eat breakfast and drink beer / talk to the neighbors  'til noon then go home to have lunch and a nap.  One day a young fellow started ragging on the old guy.  He wouldn't stop and followed old guy home.

Young guy beat on the door and called old guy to come outside.

Old guy opened the door and shot young guy in the belly with a .257 Roberts rifle.  A trial was held

Jury verdict reported in local paper.  "Not guilty by right of self defense.  He was a dirty rotten no good son of a bitch anyway."

Edited by MikeRL411
added to quote for completenessand accuracy
  • Like 5

Found here https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/legal-defenses/self-defense/

Your mileage may vary....

California law allows use of force in self-defense or defense of others when you reasonably believe that you or they are in imminent danger of physical harm, and that force is necessary to stop the danger. However, you may only use the degree of force reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Self-defense serves as a legal defense to many criminal offenses, including:

Examples

• killing a man with a gun to prevent a rape
  • kicking a burglar
  • pushing an attacker down a staircase

A person can use self-defense as a legal defense when he or she defends:

• him or herself,
  • another person, or
  • his or her property.

Note that the Castle Doctrine is a set of laws in California that apply to the situation where people use self-defense inside their home. Under this doctrine, a person:

• does not have to retreat when someone breaks into his/her home, and
  • may use deadly force in defense of himself or someone else in the home.

In addition to using deadly force in defending one’s home, a person can legally use this force in self-defense when:

1. he/she believes he/she, or someone else, is in imminent danger of being killed or suffering great bodily injury,
  2. he/she believes he/she must use deadly force to prevent death or injury, and
  3. he/she uses an appropriate level of force (under the circumstances) in self-defense.
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

I would like to think a person could at least shoot the offending thief's vehicle to knock it out of during the commission of a crime, but I'm pretty sure here you would be charged with multiple discharging of a firearm laws.

Aaaand late to the party. Didn’t read previous posts. What others said.

Edited by Draker
Late to the party as usual
2 hours ago, Jesse C. said:

Found here https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/legal-defenses/self-defense/

Your mileage may vary....

California law allows use of force in self-defense or defense of others when you reasonably believe that you or they are in imminent danger of physical harm, and that force is necessary to stop the danger. However, you may only use the degree of force reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Self-defense serves as a legal defense to many criminal offenses, including:

Examples

• killing a man with a gun to prevent a rape
  • kicking a burglar
  • pushing an attacker down a staircase

A person can use self-defense as a legal defense when he or she defends:

• him or herself,
  • another person, or
  • his or her property.

Note that the Castle Doctrine is a set of laws in California that apply to the situation where people use self-defense inside their home. Under this doctrine, a person:

• does not have to retreat when someone breaks into his/her home, and
  • may use deadly force in defense of himself or someone else in the home.

In addition to using deadly force in defending one’s home, a person can legally use this force in self-defense when:

1. he/she believes he/she, or someone else, is in imminent danger of being killed or suffering great bodily injury,
  2. he/she believes he/she must use deadly force to prevent death or injury, and
  3. he/she uses an appropriate level of force (under the circumstances) in self-defense.

Say what the police say when they shoot someone 56 times. "He was an imminent threat and had a gun in his dead hand"

2 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I would like to think a person could at least shoot the offending thief's vehicle to knock it out of during the commission of a crime, but I'm pretty sure here you would be charged with multiple discharging of a firearm laws.

That would be nice but this is California where criminals have more rights than their victims in many cases.They'd arrest you before the criminal.Sucks for good people.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Bullet fired with intent is attempted murder, the cops would say, that you were trying to kill him, but are a bad shot.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, frankendat said:

Bullet fired with intent is attempted murder, the cops would say, that you were trying to kill him, but are a bad shot.

you have to be certain to say I shot the tires out to stop him 

when really you should have shot him before he left 

1 minute ago, Ranman72 said:

you have to be certain to say I shot the tires out to stop him 

when really you should have shot him before he left 

Just hold tight to "thief said he was going to kill me, I was in fear for my life." Then, the only issue that can cause you legal trouble is justifying the reload.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, frankendat said:

Just hold tight to "thief said he was going to kill me, I was in fear for my life." Then, the only issue that can cause you legal trouble is justifying the reload.

dont miss no reload needed therefore no justification needed 

• Like 1