Prohibition was like rocket fuel for systemic criminal enterprise.  Fortunes were made.  In the end, booze was legalized again.  (What really sucks was that before Prohibition and Bootlegging, you could order a Thompson "Tommy Gun" through the US Mail.  But after the insane crime that following automatic weapons were severely regulated.)

By 1925 only three thousand Thompsons had been sold. To help boost sales, Auto Ordnance soon resorted to advertising the Thompson Submachine gun as the answer to every possible solution that a firearm could provide. The most notorious being one that depicted a Cowboy blazing away with his Thompson, defending his ranch from Mexican cattle rustlers and bandits. 
NOTE:  I saw one ad with the cowboy mending a fence all peaceful like with his tommy gun leaning on the fence post - can't find that ad now.

This sort of advertising may seem incredible today, but in 1925 anyone with $225 could purchase a Thompson Submachine gun either by mail order, or from the local hardware or sporting goods store. And with military and police sales being flat, Auto Ordnance sold it's machineguns through every legal outlet it could. It wasn't until 1934 that machineguns, and other classes of firearms such as suppressors (silencers) and short barreled rifles and shotguns, were eventually placed under strict Federal Regulation with the passage of the National Firearms Act (NFA).

Same dealeo with drugs.  They used to be legal.  Then illegal.  This developed not only a multi-national criminal enterprise, but one that made 1000x more $$$ than Prohibition.  This was "good for business" for both the government, law enforcement, courts, lawyers, pushers, dealers, and cartels.

The destruction caused by the War on Drugs (remember, Nixon amped this up) dwarfs that of Prohibition.  And now that the next generation is coming into power, decriminalization is in the works.  It will take yet another generation to undo all this damage - you literally have to wait for old generations to die off before you can undo what they did.  In the end, drugs will be legal again, just like booze.

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter
  • Like 1
  • Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/10/2022 at 2:51 PM, a.d._510_n_ok said:

Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine are bad but we will give you free crack pipes… Biden

766.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Crack pipes are not needles. Am I missing something? How is supplying crack pipes helping anything? wtf?

• Like 1

Mike, it's true.  Somewhere, I've got a pic of the Popular Mechanix ad where you could buy railroad surplus typewriters for around $200, the drum mags were extra.

Don't see the purpose in AW, if we've learned anything on television is that the users of these always get their heads cored by a navy cop that pops up and blasts a snap shot from a government issued sidearm.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

A garden hose is accurate if you lean into it..

With the correct attachments, and person yielding it.

Otherwise everything is just a hose. Hollywood doesn't represent accurate arms depiction. We should all know this by now.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I can't think of any movie where the Thompson is actually aimed. Just brace yourself, hold at hip and 'wet down' down the bad guys.

We Were Soldiers had a depiction, and Saving Private Ryan; but mostly hollywood has depicted all arms as a spray and pray type function with amazing accuracy in every shot..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

cheee.jpg

Yeah!  What happened to the Cheese?  (Mo, Larry, Cheese!)  You never see it at the Food Bank.

NOTE:  Regarding MLC:  After working for 5 years, I went to grad school full time at C-MU.  The first time I was on the campus, on the great lawn called The Cut, I could hear someone off in the distance yell, "Mo, Larry, Cheese!"  I immediately knew I was where I belonged!

• Like 2

ATF Called For Americans To Report Former Partners On Valentine's Day

As part of a Valentine's Day Promotion, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) called for Americans to turn in their former (or even current) partners. On Monday morning, the agency took to social media and encouraged people to share any information about others who may have been involved in illegal gun activity.

"Valentine's Day can still be fun even if you broke up. Do you have information about a former (or current) partner involved in illegal gun activity? Let us know, and we will make sure it's a Valentine's Day to remember! Call 1-888-ATF-TIPS or email ATFTips@atf.gov," the ATF HQ (@ATFHQ) tweeted.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu/2022/02/14/atf-called-for-americans-to-report-former-partners-on-valentines-day/?sh=2c5e7cf85f8e

Have to shrug that history repeats itself.

J Gordon Liddy... 4 years in jail the most of all the conspirators. Hosts a radio show.

John Dean spent 4 months in jail in exchange for testimony. Wrote a book about the scandal

John Ehrlichman 1-8 years commuted to 1-4 Wrote a book on.

Haldeman 2.5-8 commuted to 2-4

John Mitchell  disbarred jail 2.5-8 commuted to 2-4 (19 months total)

Jeb Magruder 8 months. Book and went on speaking tours

James McCord 4 months

E Howard Hunt 33 months.

Richard Nixon... escaped prosecution by resigning and pardoned by his successor Jerold Ford

• Like 3
On 2/13/2022 at 2:42 PM, Mattndew76 said:

With the correct attachments, and person yielding it.

Otherwise everything is just a hose. Hollywood doesn't represent accurate arms depiction. We should all know this by now.

It is even worse now, after Baldwin murdered that young lady. Sadly, the Rock (DJ) will forgo blanks and functioning weapons is his movies, vowing to use firearms replicas made of rubber and CG muzzle blast.

Regarding Thompsons, much like an M60, the weight and slower rate of fire makes it possible to "walk" the shots into target. For the M60 this is best accomplished with tracers (1 in 10 or less) because targets should be farther away. Impacts from the Thompson should be observable in close quarters combat, eliminating tracer need. Both situations, require considerable ammo, the M60 usually helicopter or jeep mounted to carry the ammo, maybe the Thompson if your home was under siege.

I think full auto is a waste of resources, but make exception for mounted and computer controlled weapons of war. IF full auto was needed (and it is difficult to imagine a situation where a civilian "needs" full auto) the weight and slower fire rate of the Thompson and the M60 keep the recoil and muzzle rise down and will be more successful. The best of bad options.

Relevant to this discussion, I have held Thompsons, but haven't fired, fired .45 Mac10, fired M60's out the door of a Huey and from the hip and on a bipod. The M60 was the best weapon by far, but it takes two guys to keep it running, one to feed it and swap barrels and one to shoot it, the Mac10 was the worst. It had a 50 round mag, touch the trigger and 50 were gone. It became expensive and no fun really quick, even when ammo was cheap.

What I can't understand are these Afghanistan/Middle East embedded journalist war documentaries, when they receive sniper fire, the whole group opens up full auto in the general direction of the sniper. I know, over half, if not all did not see the sniper. What are they shooting at? Spray and Pray is no longer an insult, it is the policy of the military of the United States.  (And because combat veterans are preferred for government jobs, it is fast becoming the policy of police. 

32 minutes ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

ATF Called For Americans To Report Former Partners On Valentine's Day

As part of a Valentine's Day Promotion, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) called for Americans to turn in their former (or even current) partners. On Monday morning, the agency took to social media and encouraged people to share any information about others who may have been involved in illegal gun activity.

"Valentine's Day can still be fun even if you broke up. Do you have information about a former (or current) partner involved in illegal gun activity? Let us know, and we will make sure it's a Valentine's Day to remember! Call 1-888-ATF-TIPS or email ATFTips@atf.gov," the ATF HQ (@ATFHQ) tweeted.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu/2022/02/14/atf-called-for-americans-to-report-former-partners-on-valentines-day/?sh=2c5e7cf85f8e

DAMNIT! I hoped that was fake news, but all searches I tried came up TRUE. Way to bring the country together. I don't care if the republican candidate is a orangutan (again) not only will I vote, I will pass out fliers, go to those loser rallies, this must stop. NO WAIT, possible silver lining....what's going to happen when the number of arrests inspired by this bright idea disproportionately impacts minorities? It will never be admitted or televised, who wants to file an  FOIA?  

• Like 3