• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mud flood. Most cities are on the coast (for harbors) and/or on rivers. Seems to me that regular flooding is a given and mud and silt move down hill and deposit along the way. Deltas get larger. There's no big mystery here.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, john510 said:

Hmm,what i'm doing to destroy America ? Let's see.Go to work to support my family,pay my taxes,take responsibility for my own behavior,take care of my own healthcare needs,treat others as i expect them to treat me etc.etc. As far as the straw goes,we banned them here in Cali didn't we ? Instead you can get hypodermic needles to shoot up your drugs with.And even a place to safely use those drugs without risk of arrest.Those policies were created by who ? It's not about a closed mind.It's about a little common sense.

Banned? I don't know what you guys are using in SD, but we'er still "drinking" coke through straws up here. As far as political soda straws go, clearly you see it as Dems don't do the same good things you do, and that you treat them the way you want to be treated... Just say'n, insight starts by checking our own shit, cuz trust me bro, mine stinks and so does yours.

Here's a little common sense, the Harm Reduction public policies you describe were created in Holland. Even when it started working the Western mindset around DRUGS mocked it as ignorant progressive coddling of destructive criminal behavior. Today Harm Reduction policies have been adopted by almost every urban city in America plagued by rocketing opioid addiction. Why? It turns out, not dealing with transmitted diseases associated with sharing dirty needles was ignorant. Also turns out, junkies hiding to shoot up repeatedly OD'ed and wound up in a hospital bed or in jail which is a huge stressor on a city's emergency health & safety systems their court system, and costs a multitude X more than providing a safe place to reduce the harm. Is it a perfect solution? No, but we've tried waging a War On Drugs, Just Say No, Zero Tolerance, 3 Stroke for drug use/possession, stigmatized it, and blamed the problem on the addict's weak character, rather than talking openly and educating the public. I'm all about people taking responsibility for your actions, but where did these drug policies get us?  Better ideas?

50 minutes ago, paradime said:

Banned? I don't know what you guys are using in SD, but we'er still "drinking" coke through straws up here. As far as political soda straws go, clearly you see it as Dems don't do the same good things you do, and that you treat them the way you want to be treated... Just say'n, insight starts by checking our own shit, cuz trust me bro, mine stinks and so does yours.

Here's a little common sense, the Harm Reduction public policies you describe were created in Holland. Even when it started working the Western mindset around DRUGS mocked it as ignorant progressive coddling of destructive criminal behavior. Today Harm Reduction policies have been adopted by almost every urban city in America plagued by rocketing opioid addiction. Why? It turns out, not dealing with transmitted diseases associated with sharing dirty needles was ignorant. Also turns out, junkies hiding to shoot up repeatedly OD'ed and wound up in a hospital bed or in jail which is a huge stressor on a city's emergency health & safety systems their court system, and costs a multitude X more than providing a safe place to reduce the harm. Is it a perfect solution? No, but we've tried waging a War On Drugs, Just Say No, Zero Tolerance, 3 Stroke for drug use/possession, stigmatized it, and blamed the problem on the addict's weak character, rather than talking openly and educating the public. I'm all about people taking responsibility for your actions, but where did these drug policies get us?  Better ideas?

The straw thing was kind of a joke.But you do know that they tried real hard to ban them.We have to ask for them now,they don't just throw them in your bag of food or leave them on a table at a restaurant.Isn't it pretty obvious that our cities with the biggest problems run by a certain side of politics are the way they are because of policy ? Come on now.If it was Republicans coming up with this shit i'd blame them.Better ideas for the drug addicted ? Get them sobered up and put them in jail for awhile if they commit crimes.Providing a clean needle will sober nobody up,that's ridiculous.

• Like 1

We switched to paper straws and here's the problem. Paper (or wax coating) makes the carbonated drinks fizz and all you suck up is bubbles. A friend has his own personal plastic straw.

• Like 2

Might be time for us to move out of CA anyways. My landlord has decided to evict us at the end of the eviction moratorium, no reason given.  Really great timing considering how slammed the housing market is here. I can only assume it's so they can turn around and rent the place for considerably more money, since a law passed in '19 doesn't allow more than a 5% increase in rent unless the tenants changeover.  Plus I've done a bunch of cosmetic work on the place so it's a lot nicer than when we moved in.  I would say we are among the best tenants one could ask for, aside from noisy kids (which could be a part of it with the landlord's office below us).  It has been a good deal, but too small for our family - there just aren't affordable options here.

I've kind of been waiting for this nail in the coffin, but I would say I suffer from fairly moderate anxiety, mostly related to work & life change in general, so this is incredibly difficult to come to terms with.  All my family is in CA also, but my wife's are in the Midwest and she would go back in a heartbeat. 

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

We switched to paper straws and here's the problem. Paper (or wax coating) makes the carbonated drinks fizz and all you suck up is bubbles. A friend has his own personal plastic straw.

My favorite restaurant tried the paper straw thing.You can taste the paper when you drink.It didn't go over well and they went back to plastic straws.

• Like 1

I’m surprised San Diego County  doesn’t have two or three full time straw  compliance enforcer staff all making 100K plus a year. Give Nathen Fletcher a few more months and we probably will. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, zrex said:

I’m surprised San Diego County  doesn’t have two or three full time straw  compliance enforcer staff all making 100K plus a year. Give Nathen Fletcher a few more months and we probably will. 

Don't give them anymore crazy ideas.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Might be time for us to move out of CA anyways. My landlord has decided to evict us at the end of the eviction moratorium, no reason given.  Really great timing considering how slammed the housing market is here. I can only assume it's so they can turn around and rent the place for considerably more money, since a law passed in '19 doesn't allow more than a 5% increase in rent unless the tenants changeover.  Plus I've done a bunch of cosmetic work on the place so it's a lot nicer than when we moved in.  I would say we are among the best tenants one could ask for, aside from noisy kids (which could be a part of it with the landlord's office below us).  It has been a good deal, but too small for our family - there just aren't affordable options here.

I've kind of been waiting for this nail in the coffin, but I would say I suffer from fairly moderate anxiety, mostly related to work & life change in general, so this is incredibly difficult to come to terms with.  All my family is in CA also, but my wife's are in the Midwest and she would go back in a heartbeat. 

🤷‍♂️

Bummer Matt,

With your children learning remotely and sheltering in place at home due to CV-19, you have extenuating circumstances that supersede cause for termination due to a noise complaint, and without written warning it's a moot point. 

If it's a duplex and the owner lives below you, trying to fight this you're pretty much bent over his barrel (so to speak). If it's not owner occupied and it's just the landlord's office, without "just cause" for eviction your landlord is in violation of state law.  “No fault” termination of tenancy is only allowed when the property becomes owner occupied, the unit is withdrawn from the rental market, substantial remodeling, and compliance with government order to vacate the property. Even if they finagle their way around it, the landlord has to pay you one month’s rent in relocation assistance.

In addition, Dec 2020 Santa Barbara passed an ordinance mandating the landlord pay an additional 2 months relocation assistance if they evict you without just cause. If the landlord doesn't provide this information and pay that money within 15 days of notification, you get to wack his pee pee in court. 

https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/services/home/rhm/rights.asp

Sometimes what looks like shit is actually the lubricant of opportunity. Best of luck, on what ever pass you take.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, john510 said:

The straw thing was kind of a joke.But you do know that they tried real hard to ban them.We have to ask for them now,they don't just throw them in your bag of food or leave them on a table at a restaurant.Isn't it pretty obvious that our cities with the biggest problems run by a certain side of politics are the way they are because of policy ? Come on now.If it was Republicans coming up with this shit i'd blame them.Better ideas for the drug addicted ? Get them sobered up and put them in jail for awhile if they commit crimes.Providing a clean needle will sober nobody up,that's ridiculous.

Funny Joke: Wax straws should be outlawed, because when I use a rolled up $100 bill my coke taste much better.   Ha ha ha

Ridiculous joke: Better ideas for the drug addicted ? Get them sobered up and put them in jail for awhile if they commit crimes. LMFAO

Seriously: The US has over 14,800 public and private substance abuse facilities sobering up the addicted, and even the worst addiction plagued cities have police enforcing the law. It's not denying the problem exists for cities to provide clean needles and a safe place to shoot up. It's designed to get that shit off the street, and reduce the expense of not addressing the greater problems that addicts hiding in corners and using dirty needles creates. That way cities can direct more resources to programs designed to sober them up.

Simple: The goal of Harm Reduction is in its title. The goal of substance abuse facilities is to sober them up.

Edited by paradime
10 hours ago, thisismatt said:

🤷‍♂️

I was just reading where Humboldt County (CA) home prices are going up fast.

Still glad we got out when we did.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, paradime said:

Bummer Matt,

With your children learning remotely and sheltering in place at home due to CV-19, you have extenuating circumstances that supersede cause for termination due to a noise complaint, and without written warning it's a moot point. 

If it's a duplex and the owner lives below you, trying to fight this you're pretty much bent over his barrel (so to speak). If it's not owner occupied and it's just the landlord's office, without "just cause" for eviction your landlord is in violation of state law.  “No fault” termination of tenancy is only allowed when the property becomes owner occupied, the unit is withdrawn from the rental market, substantial remodeling, and compliance with government order to vacate the property. Even if they finagle their way around it, the landlord has to pay you one month’s rent in relocation assistance.

In addition, Dec 2020 Santa Barbara passed an ordinance mandating the landlord pay an additional 2 months relocation assistance if they evict you without just cause. If the landlord doesn't provide this information and pay that money within 15 days of notification, you get to wack his pee pee in court. 

https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/services/home/rhm/rights.asp

Sometimes what looks like shit is actually the lubricant of opportunity. Best of luck, on what ever pass you take.

The landlord (son of, who manages the property) lives in the front house and we live above the detached garage/office.  They aren't breaking a lease, as we are on a month to month contract with 30 day notice for lessee, 60 day for lessor, so I believe they are within their rights. Regardless, I'm not the type to fight this kind of thing either way. If they don't want us here, that's good enough reason for me, especially because it would become hostile - to be fair they could have raised the rent over the years as it has been below market value, but only raised it slightly. My youngest isn't school age yet, and we had already decided to home school which we've been doing with my 6yo (she's very bright and tested at a 6th grade reading level in kindergarten), so there wouldn't be any relief there with school back in session anyways 😅

I'm trying to look at it as a lubricant. Our choice to homeschool and not maintain dual incomes means we will never be able to afford to buy here, so realistically what is the point? Right now a 2-3 bedroom fixer-upper on a 2500sqft lot is a million bucks, plus the property taxes on top of that. There's just no way to get what we want here. If I could get my boss or some co-workers to move with me it'd be no problem 😂

• Like 4
14 hours ago, thisismatt said:

The landlord (son of, who manages the property) lives in the front house and we live above the detached garage/office.  They aren't breaking a lease, as we are on a month to month contract with 30 day notice for lessee, 60 day for lessor, so I believe they are within their rights. Regardless, I'm not the type to fight this kind of thing either way. If they don't want us here, that's good enough reason for me, especially because it would become hostile - to be fair they could have raised the rent over the years as it has been below market value, but only raised it slightly. My youngest isn't school age yet, and we had already decided to home school which we've been doing with my 6yo (she's very bright and tested at a 6th grade reading level in kindergarten), so there wouldn't be any relief there with school back in session anyways 😅

I'm trying to look at it as a lubricant. Our choice to homeschool and not maintain dual incomes means we will never be able to afford to buy here, so realistically what is the point? Right now a 2-3 bedroom fixer-upper on a 2500sqft lot is a million bucks, plus the property taxes on top of that. There's just no way to get what we want here. If I could get my boss or some co-workers to move with me it'd be no problem 😂

There in the Mid West your money'll go much further for living space, and your kids will likely get a richer experience growing up. I have kinfolk in Iowa and visited them for Christmas once. They had what they call an Arctic jet stream, and it got down to -33ºf. Coming from SD I had no idea winter could do that. Great people, but F'n place gives cold a bad name. Bring a jacket. 🎎

Edited by paradime
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, thisismatt said:

There are more affordable areas in California but wont be a short walk to the beach.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7808-Carabina-Ct-Bakersfield-CA-93308/19052137_zpid/

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ratpatrol66 said:

I prefer red licorice so maybe black licorice racist?

Licorice is licorice, tasty and black as the ace of spades. One too many and you will get the shits. 'Red' licorice is just corn starch, red food coloring and sugar. It's the Elizabeth Warren of licorice. Too much of her will give you the shits too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1