5 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

Los Angeles responses:

The police shoot somebody  Get mad.  Riot in the streets.  Break glass storefront.  Loot sneakers.

The Dodgers win the World Series after 43 years.  Get happy.  Riot in the streets.  Break glass storefront.  Loot sneakers..

Could I make this up ?  

Moment quick-thinking LAPD cop applies a tourniquet and saves life of heavily bleeding man who blew off both his hands with a firework while celebrating LA Lakers' win

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8893667/LAPD-cop-applies-tourniquet-man-blew-hands-firework.html

• Like 3
  • Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/28/2020 at 10:25 PM, frankendat said:

22 hours ago, frankendat said:

While it is always good to prepare for a worst case scenario, I will be sad that a majority of my fellow citizens, are willfully ignorant, content to trade hard won freedom for pseudo security.

I do not have children, but once was a child and lived with accessible, loaded, firearms, hidden in most rooms of the house.

Could it be this majority of your fellow citizens (with or without children) wouldn't feel happy safe free or secure having loaded firearms in most rooms of their house?

When it comes to gun rights, is it unreasonable to think that both sides see the other's perspective on what constitutes freedom and security as being a threat to their safety? 

Is it possible the biggest threat to US are those (domestic or abroad) who stoking our fear of the "other" for their own benefit? 

Finally; dose anyone else think there's a question of benefit when before every national election, a flip flopping Canadian and admitted government agent who identifies as Aussie are here stoking the fire under gun rights in the US? With humor & 💘

giphy-1.gif

• Like 3
On 10/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, paradime said:

Could it be this majority of your fellow citizens (with or without children) wouldn't feel happy safe free or secure having loaded firearms in most rooms of their house?

When it comes to gun rights, is it unreasonable to think that both sides see the other's perspective on what constitutes freedom and security as being a threat to their safety? 

In regards to the loaded and readily available firearms in the house of my youth, no visitor felt uncomfortable, because no one outside of immediate family knew the hidden locations. It is a sad trend of television and movies that cops and others who carry, dress in tight clothing, with shirts tucked in, pistols protruding from their hips, as testament to their bad ass ness.  Media plays a part in shaping our reality and the utilization of firearms, as props to display conviction, will continue to end in death. If I carry, the untrained will not know it. The only reason to produce a firearm is fear for your life or the lives of others. Unless  you are police, never, and I mean never, attempt to control a situation or a person, by brandishing a firearm. If there is necessity to pull your weapon, then there is necessity to shoot. Do not produce your firearm without intent to fire.

I support the choice of those who abstain from readily available firearms and sincerely hope they never regret their decision. I would not support government action demanding all citizens own, maintain, and regularly demonstrate firearm proficiency (as mandated by some countries). Firearms only becomes an issue, when those choosing to abstain, wish to force my abstinence.

Those comfortable subcontracting their safety and the safety of their families are quick to regurgitate statics suggesting the relative safety of people in the United States.  I have no desire to refute these studies, as they are of no consequence. When determining safety, or risk, of hypothetical events, the probability of the event must be assessed against the consequence, or severity, of the event.

The probability of being victim, or more importantly, of someone you love being victim of a life altering or life ending attack, is relatively small, but the severity or consequence, of the damage to your life, or more importantly, the severity of damage to the lives of those you love, is a magnitude of greatness, demanding preventative action. Simply put, it is better to have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have it.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, frankendat said:

In regards to the loaded and readily available firearms in the house of my youth, no visitor felt uncomfortable, because no one outside of immediate family knew the hidden locations.

I'd say it's a sad trend of television movies and popular news media that plays on our fears and distorts reality so profoundly that we feel the need to hide guns to protect our love ones. The house I grew up in had 12 kids and never had the front door locked. That said our front door is locked, I have a Louisville Slugger standing within reach of my bed, and a few hand guns tucked away for my family's protection. To be honest, I don't feel happy safe free or secure having loaded firearms in my house, but I sure as fuck ante get'n rid of them because of it. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, paradime said:

I'd say it's a sad trend of television movies and popular news media that plays on our fears and distorts reality so profoundly that we feel the need to hide guns to protect our love ones. The house I grew up in had 12 kids and never had the front door locked. That said our front door is locked, I have a Louisville Slugger standing within reach of my bed, and a few hand guns tucked away for my family's protection. To be honest, I don't feel happy safe free or secure having loaded firearms in my house, but I sure as fuck ante get'n rid of them because of it. 

We're on the same side, but it is not media that crafted my defense mentality, it has been crafted by experience. It is unfortunate that you "don't feel happy safe free or secure" with a loaded firearm. Maybe think of it like protection like when in the wilderness. There are bears and wolves in the back country, where I hunt and sometimes I hunt alone. The odds of encountering a bear or a wolf aren't great, but I have seen both, at different times and always see sign. When high on the mountain, under a tree and a tarp, alone in the dark miles from the closest human, the pistol in the day pack I use as a pillow, allows for easy sleep. I apply the same logic in the city, because there are predator's in the city. The odds of encountering one aren't great, but I have seen both, at different times and always see sign....

• Like 2
9 hours ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

What the fuck does a celebrity know about this??? Why do they post this shit and why should voters watch it?? What idiot would vote based on her recommendation? Or anyone's? By watching, you're saying that she knows more than you. Far as I'm concerned she puts her panties on one leg at a time.... same as me.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

What the fuck does a celebrity know about this??? Why do they post this shit and why should voters watch it?? What idiot would vote based on her recommendation? Or anyone's? By watching, you're saying that she knows more than you. Far as I'm concerned she puts her panties on one leg at a time.... same as me.

I identify as a paraplegic, so nobody puts their panties on the same way as I. I mean....errr...

• Like 1

I have to say that (to me) hiding guns in your home is kind of fucked up thinking. Either you've had need to have them in the past, or it's common in your neighborhood to have break ins and robberies? What's left? It MIGHT happen? A lot of things 'might happen' but they don't. What world do you live in that a good front door and locks can't solve? Where do you go that you need to be armed, that maybe you could simply not go?

America is a strange place.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I have to say that (to me) hiding guns in your home is kind of fucked up thinking. Either you've had need to have them in the past, or it's common in your neighborhood to have break ins and robberies? What's left? It MIGHT happen? A lot of things 'might happen' but they don't. What world do you live in that a good front door and locks can't solve? Where do you go that you need to be armed, that maybe you could simply not go?

I take umbrage to this statement. Why would I allow the world to include places that I fear to go. The way I see it the world is mine and you are all my guests in it so I do try to be a good host but if the restroom is naked ladies. Whether or not I enter has little to do with the shape on the sign and more to do with is there another option less offensive to my guests and how bad do I have to tinkle. I trust that you all will be good and pleasant guests on my world but i keep a heater just the same so that in the event I run across a cold soul I will be well equipped to warm things up. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If you scroll back, I posted regarding, risk assessment and the probability of a incident vs the potential severity of an incident and how that impacts preparatory and preventive actions.  As far as, concealment of firearms in the home, it is so common, that there are companies selling hollow shelves and specialized end tables with concealed pistol pockets. An armed society is a polite society and a more charitable society. My armed family invited a dozen, or so, "homeless" individuals to partake in  Christmas and/or thanksgiving dinner at our home and never had problems. The security that comes from the ability to address potential negative  outcomes,allow focus on positive outcomes.

Front door locks are easily defeated, the goal of secure doors is to slow an intruder and provide time for an occupant to access a firearm. I do not share None_zero's solipsistic world view, mine is more prudent.  It is not fear that prevents travel through areas of unrest, it is understanding of the dramatic increase of probability of an event requiring  the use of force and the negative consequences, even if exonerated, that will follow.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves."  So I ask, is our (American's) response to perceived societal danger proportional to the actual threat? And if it is disproportionate, is our fear of what might happen putting US in greater danger?

You can search and find justification for fear in subjective anecdotal accounts in the news, in dramatic portrayal of danger, and in objective statistical evidence of the same. So what are the choices for mitigating societal danger, be it real or perceived? Well you can build a fortress stockpiled with any number of military weapons you see fit, and vote for a law making it legal  for you to shoot anyone you believe is dangerous. That way nothing will ever happen to you or your family. On the other hand, you could pass a law making all guns illegal. That way your family would be safe and there'd be no need for doors windows or blinds on anyones house, and you could store all your food and valuables in the driveway. Sounds ridiculously hyperbolic, but people buy into framing this issue through ridiculously binary projections and demonization of the opposing sides evil intention. People are so invested in their "side", if someone uses critical thinking outside these extreme polarities there's swift retribution for such treason, hypocrisy, ignorance, or deviation from "the cause". Both sides are absolutely  fucking blind to how dangerous their cause is to their own freedom and security. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's what makes me feel unsafe.

15 hours ago, frankendat said:

We're on the same side

If by "side" you're referring to not choosing one, I'm with you 100%

Edited by paradime
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, None_zero said:

I take umbrage to this statement. Why would I allow the world to include places that I fear to go. The way I see it the world is mine and you are all my guests in it so I do try to be a good host but if the restroom is naked ladies. Whether or not I enter has little to do with the shape on the sign and more to do with is there another option less offensive to my guests and how bad do I have to tinkle. I trust that you all will be good and pleasant guests on my world but i keep a heater just the same so that in the event I run across a cold soul I will be well equipped to warm things up. 

Fear... is wisdom in the face of danger.  A gun makes you fear-less? Then it takes away your wisdom too because there are places you should fear to go.

2 hours ago, frankendat said:

If you scroll back, I posted regarding, risk assessment and the probability of a incident vs the potential severity of an incident and how that impacts preparatory and preventive actions.  As far as, concealment of firearms in the home, it is so common, that there are companies selling hollow shelves and specialized end tables with concealed pistol pockets. An armed society is a polite society and a more charitable society. My armed family invited a dozen, or so, "homeless" individuals to partake in  Christmas and/or thanksgiving dinner at our home and never had problems. The security that comes from the ability to address potential negative  outcomes,allow focus on positive outcomes.

Front door locks are easily defeated, the goal of secure doors is to slow an intruder and provide time for an occupant to access a firearm. I do not share None_zero's solipsistic world view, mine is more prudent.  It is not fear that prevents travel through areas of unrest, it is understanding of the dramatic increase of probability of an event requiring  the use of force and the negative consequences, even if exonerated, that will follow.

As I said either you were attacked in the past or it's common where you live. How else can you assess risk but on the past or present events. Sleeping with a gun is simply

weird behavior to me, paranoid even. You're living in fear of 'maybe' or 'might happen'.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paradime said:

Yes, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves."  So I ask, is our (American's) response to perceived societal danger proportional to the actual threat? And if it is disproportionate, is our fear of what might happen putting US in greater danger?

Yes and no. The media (including Hollywood) and gun makers would say yes. So no, it's not as bad as they say but yes it's more elevated than many other places because of the ease and right to own them and their availability to those who should never have been allowed to have them legally. Is there any other country in the world where their government's can't stop their citizens from arming themselves??? It's hardly reassuring when a gun owner says that gun ownership also makes it safer for the unarmed. Then there's the disparity between the have and the have-nots.  

• Like 1

Lying. That's exactly how they do it. Can't do it that way today much because everyone records what you say, but back in the day you told one story to the crowd in this town and 10 miles away you told the opposite because that's what they wanted to hear. Hell son, how you going to get ahead telling them what they don't want to hear??? Biden is an old school dinosaur.

• Like 1