• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• Mattndew76

• paradime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In better news----A while back, on this thread or some other, property tax was a subtopic of discussion. At that time, I mentioned my neighbor next door sold his house for 1.2 million. He listed it at 899,999 a first day bidding war topped at 1.2, or so I thought. Turns out a developer, who wanted to tear it all down and build "multi-unit" buildings on the lot, bid 1.3. 

My neighbor's house sits on, what would be considered 3 city lots, and someone with political pull, could easily obtain a zoning exception for townhouses, or the like. I was bummed, since everyone started building apartments on their garages, traffic in my neighborhood has increased, foot traffic, bike traffic, car traffic. Two small 6 unit apartment building sit less than a block away and a big apartment building (more than 10 units), with first floor retail is planned about 4 city blocks south. Zoning for ADU's (Additional Dwelling Unit, fancy talk for "apartments above garage", or big old house, chopped up into apartments), was recently, passed, that removed or modified population density requirements, but I digress. My neighbor, who in the last 20 years has been an excellent neighbor, but we  never shared a meal, TURNED DOWN the bid for an additional $100,000, because he thought another multi-unit building would hurt the neighborhood. It would have hurt the neighborhood,but I know all surrounding neighbors and none of us would have faulted him for accepting the $100,000 higher bid. I have never seen $100,000, in person or on my bank statement.

Covid, false facts, misinformation or bias information, accepted as truth, the great divide in America, and yet there are still people that humble me, with the depth of their compassion. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, frankendat said:

In better news----A while back, on this thread or some other, property tax was a subtopic of discussion. At that time, I mentioned my neighbor next door sold his house for 1.2 million. He listed it at 899,999 a first day bidding war topped at 1.2, or so I thought. Turns out a developer, who wanted to tear it all down and build "multi-unit" buildings on the lot, bid 1.3. 

My neighbor's house sits on, what would be considered 3 city lots, and someone with political pull, could easily obtain a zoning exception for townhouses, or the like. I was bummed, since everyone started building apartments on their garages, traffic in my neighborhood has increased, foot traffic, bike traffic, car traffic. Two small 6 unit apartment building sit less than a block away and a big apartment building (more than 10 units), with first floor retail is planned about 4 city blocks south. Zoning for ADU's (Additional Dwelling Unit, fancy talk for "apartments above garage", or big old house, chopped up into apartments), was recently, passed, that removed or modified population density requirements, but I digress. My neighbor, who in the last 20 years has been an excellent neighbor, but we  never shared a meal, TURNED DOWN the bid for an additional $100,000, because he thought another multi-unit building would hurt the neighborhood. It would have hurt the neighborhood,but I know all surrounding neighbors and none of us would have faulted him for accepting the $100,000 higher bid. I have never seen $100,000, in person or on my bank statement.

Covid, false facts, misinformation or bias information, accepted as truth, the great divide in America, and yet there are still people that humble me, with the depth of their compassion. 

Give that neighbor an ATTABOY and advise him to donate a clear space option [sometimes called green space or open space restriction] to the city or county.  He will get a huge  tax break and preserve the property from being subdivide after he dies.  The dedicated space will be taxed as farm not "highest and best multi development potential" land..

• Like 3
2 hours ago, frankendat said:

My neighbor, who in the last 20 years has been an excellent neighbor, but we  never shared a meal, TURNED DOWN the bid for an additional $100,000, because he thought another multi-unit building would hurt the neighborhood. 

Or maybe he just despises greedy d/b developers over a homeowner who wants to enjoy the house he enjoyed for 20 years and those before him..

1 hour ago, frankendat said:

What's  with the "boomer hangout" tag? I am 100% Gen-X, but as I age there are more and more issues, which my father and I agree

1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

Gaslighting by immature peabrains who think you must be an old fogey to hold conservative values. 

Yeah, meant to ask someone in management about this. Showed up what? in the last 2 weeks? I think I know who. Maybe they will chime in.

• Like 2

Your neighbor is a good guy for showing respect to his neighborhood.This reminds me of my hood where we had some older apartments on the main street leading to the hood i live in.Those apartments got refurbished which is nice.But they got designated for low income people.Where there was never a parking problem before,there is now.Now our little side streets are being used because the apartments don't have enough parking.I'm damn glad i live far enough up the hill so it isn't in front of my house.What it does is make it difficult to pull out into other streets because of visibility.The street behind the apartments which is houses is clogged with parked cars.Some people can't even park in front of their own homes.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, john510 said:

Your neighbor is a good guy for showing respect to his neighborhood.This reminds me of my hood where we had some older apartments on the main street leading to the hood i live in.Those apartments got refurbished which is nice.But they got designated for low income people.Where there was never a parking problem before,there is now.Now our little side streets are being used because the apartments don't have enough parking.I'm damn glad i live far enough up the hill so it isn't in front of my house.What it does is make it difficult to pull out into other streets because of visibility.The street behind the apartments which is houses is clogged with parked cars.Some people can't even park in front of their own homes.

You scare me john510. There are many who say the that the massive influx of people relocating to Idaho will destroy this State that I Iove. The influx of people has skyrocketed home prices and rent. Parking is just starting to be a problem. I deal with the difficulty pulling into streets, because of lack of visibility, due to parked cars, every day. Dark clouds on the horizon.

• Like 1

You scare me john510. There are many who say the that the massive influx of people relocating to Idaho will destroy this State that I Iove. The influx of people has skyrocketed home prices and rent. Parking is just starting to be a problem. I deal with the difficulty pulling into streets, because of lack of visibility, due to parked cars, every day. Dark clouds on the horizon.

30 years ago when the city was cheep run down and full of creative energy, my wife and I lived in a San Francisco neighborhood called North Beach/Telegraph Hill. Tiny narrow ass streets with small 2-4 unit apartment buildings stack one next to the other with bars, shops and restaurants on the bottom floor, and all of it built before cars existed. If they were dumb enough to drive there to visit, some times friends would drive around for as much as 20-30 minutes looking for a damn parking spot. Last we checked that little 700 sq ft one bed room apt we had was renting for $3,200 a month. Now that working from home looks like the new normal and you can work basically anywhere with an internet connection all the stressed out twitchy bastards are getting the F out while the get'n is good. Same with LA, Chicago, NY, Boston, Phili, etc, etc.  

Ready or not, here they come.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, frankendat said:

What's  with the "boomer hangout" tag? I am 100% Gen-X, but as I age there are more and more issues, which my father and I agree

Pro gun people are moving to Idaho and a shit load of Cali-fucks. Won't be long and the later will run it down just like California! No way in hell I will be moving there. When I drove through Idaho in 2017 it was 100 degrees the entire time! Highest temp was 111, fuck that place!!!

Edited by ratpatrol66
  • Like 1

Sucks to lose good neighbors. I've got an asshole next to me in Fl. We are on a quiet one lane dirt dead end road that was totally peaceful. This asshole has turned his house into a giant art display of his creepy life size statues. There are over 30 of them. There is no room to park at his house so people just pulled up and parked on my lawn. I would tell them to move and they would get pissy at me. I ended up fencing the yard and it is amusing to watch the incoming dumbshits and outgoing dumbshits realize that one is going to have to back up. There is also a tour boat operator that brings his tours up the canal and unloads his customers for a tour. They all cackle and carry on and this goes on all day. I blew 3k on a lawyer just for him to tell me it's going to take a lot more money. So my plan this winter is to out asshole him. I am left with really the only option to cuss out his customers and ruin his day. Childish but if you have an asshole that ruins everybody else's peace and quiet you don't have many options. I am open to any non destructive suggestions.  I may snap one day and take a machete to his shitshow but I am not there yet.https://www.news-press.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/2019/02/03/photos-examples-pine-island-artist-jeff-abbotts-3-d-work/2761303002/

Edited by bottomwatcher
Misspelling
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, ratpatrol66 said:

Pro gun people are moving to Idaho and a shit load of Cali-fucks. Won't be long and the later will run it down just like California! No way in hell I will be moving there. When I drove through Idaho in 2017 it was 100 degrees the entire time! Highest temp was 111, fuck that place!!!

People from California don't move to Idaho to bring their politics with them.They go there to get away from the politics.I doubt there are enough insane people in this country to think Idaho is a great place to live.I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, john510 said:

People from California don't move to Idaho to bring their politics with them.They go there to get away from the politics.I doubt there are enough insane people in this country to think Idaho is a great place to live.I wouldn't worry about it.

famous last words. They can buy a massive house, acreage, and short commute for 1/3 of the price of a 1000sqft California home. 

Nothing will stop them. Western Oregon is about 80% California now. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Draker said:

famous last words. They can buy a massive house, acreage, and short commute for 1/3 of the price of a 1000sqft California home. 

Nothing will stop them. Western Oregon is about 80% California now. 

Western Oregon has been 80% liberal for a long time.Maybe that's why Californians go there ? 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Pass a law in Idaho that you have to have lived here for at least 5 years to vote on any municipal or state legislation. Better do it quick.

Even better,pass a law that says Californians can never vote in Idaho.Make them stay where they're at and clean up their own mess.

• Like 3