Bet this hasn’t been asked before....

Anyone know of any possibility of finding ‘reverse rotation’ gears for the H190?

i’ve come to an odd roadblock that has me annoyed to say the least. Turns out my Audi transmission is set up to spin the driveshaft the opposite direction of everything else under the sun.

I am considering all my available options. I prefer to NOT swap the axle if I can help it due to the Beebani 3 link kit I JUST installed on it and fit everything around. 
I can get adapters to put either a Yota or Nissan/Datsun 5 speed behind it, but that involve cutting my transmission crossmember and altering my $600 driveline 🤦🏻‍♂️
I’m pretty much screwed whichever route I end up having to go, I just want to soften the blow as much as possible. 
if I could find reverse rotation gears like are available for D35/44/60 axles that would be the absolute best bet.....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, all Datsun engines turn clockwise as viewed from the front. Thus all Datsun driveshafts turn clockwise when moving forwards. Thus the crown gear will be on the right side of the pinion as viewed from the front in order to turn the rear wheels forward.

If your Audi engine/transmission spins the driveshaft counterclockwise there's no transmission that can correct this. Find an Audi differential/axle.

If it's similar to the 521 rear axle, just turn the diff upside down and bolt it back in. @HOGIE bought a 521 with an electric motor swap. When he converted it back to an L series he found he had 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear. It's because the diff was swapped upside down to handle the rotation of the electric motor.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

First, all Datsun engines turn clockwise as viewed from the front. Thus all Datsun driveshafts turn clockwise when moving forwards. Thus the crown gear will be on the right side of the pinion as viewed from the front in order to turn the rear wheels forward.

If your Audi engine/transmission spins the driveshaft counterclockwise there's no transmission that can correct this. Find an Audi differential/axle.

Pretty much every ‘modern’ engine runs clockwise. The Audi engine is no different. The front flanges turn the ‘correct’ direction for travel. Audi placed the ring gear on the ‘left’ side of the pinion when viewed as sitting in the driver’s seat. This is likely due to the gearing setup required to fit the torsen center diff and front differential shaft in the smallest package possible. Swapping in a non-audi transmission would turn the driveshaft the ‘proper’ direction. 

i have thought about flipping the center section but was warned by someone in a FB group that they tend to chew pinions this way as reversing the rotation is running on the ‘back’ side of the gearset. 
there are plenty of  reverse rotation gearsets for Dana and Ford corporate axles, I was just hoping someone knew of a niche something or other that used reverse rotation gears in the H190 so I wouldn’t have to move my 3 link around again. 

Just to clarify, reverse rotation high pinion gears are meant to turn the same direction as normal low pinion gears, but were designed as such for two reasons - driveshaft clearance and reduced angle on a front axle, and because they were used in a front axle they were cut to be driven on the proper side of the curved hypoid gear.

Here's a quote from a FourWheeler magazine article -

"A reverse-cut high-pinion is not Just an upside-down low-pinion!
One of the biggest points of confusion we encounter in our Nuts & Bolts column is about high-pinion or reverse-cut axles. A high-pinion axle is not just a low-pinion axle flipped upside-down. If you flip any axle upside-down and turn the pinion the same direction, the axleshafts will turn backward, as the ring gear is now on the opposite side of the pinion. Secondly, you cannot flip a low-pinion housing upside-down and use high-pinion reverse-cut gears in it to make it a high-pinion. The gears will not mesh due to the direction of the gear cut. Finally, a reverse-cut axle and gearset is primarily designed for front axle use. Using a high-pinion gearset in the rear of a vehicle actually reduces its strength by 15-30 percent.

In addition, the term reverse rotation is a misnomer. The rotation of the gears is the same as a standard set, but the direction of the gear cut is the reverse of a standard-cut gear, hence the term reverse-cut."

• Like 2

I get what you’re saying. The ‘reverse cut’ gears are designed to run the pinion on the top edge of the ring gear, as opposed to the bottom edge like a standard pinion setup. Most likely i’ll have to get a front ‘high pinion’ pumpkin and stuff the ‘reverse cut’ gears in it and flip it so that I am ‘low pinion, running backwards’ which should get me the proper input direction for my transmission. A Dana 44 running in reverse will still be miles better than an H190 running any direction.  
Looks like it’ll be a bit more custom than intended but 🤷🏼‍♂️
i’ll get proper ‘FSJ narrow trak’ axle shafts which will give me the 6 lug I need and proper flange width. Gotta do A bunch of welding anyway so what’s a couple axle tubes to pumpkin. 

• Like 1

High pinion diffs come with reverse cut gears. They are one and the same.

The oiling may be a concern. High pinion diffs usually have an oil slinger or "pump" somewhere along the pinion shaft. You'll need to identify it and remove it to get the proper oiling.

Dana axle tubes are pressed pretty far into the diff housing. It would be easier to do the narrowing at the axle ends. Buy yourself an axle building bar. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mbt-1000renk1-72?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKuu75z_6QIVqj6tBh3JswXFEAQYASABEgJuBvD_BwE

You can also just buy the alignment bar and either make your own pucks or buy them individually.

• 3 months later...

You can, with some work, fit R200 gears into a c200 axle with an R200 shortnose pinion shaft.  You could investigate using R50 pathfinder front gears (r200 reverse cut) in the c200 axle.  Might work great, all junkyard parts.  But they only come in like 4.3 and 4.6 gear ratios i think, so there's that.