A14 timing marks

high winder

just asking to see if i screwed up.. so the maual says turn the crank key so its pointing straight up and the #1 and #4 piston are at top dead..align the sprockets so the marks are lined up between the camshaft and crankshaft centers. i have the two match marks lined up in between the two shaft centers. the manual shows a pic of the crank turned at 5 o'clock and the cam dowel pin lined up at 3 o'clock with the sprocket match marks not lined up...which one is correct or are they both correct?

i have the dizzy installed with the rotor pointing at #1 and both of the #1 valves are closed at top dead center.

do i need to reset the sprockets so the dowel mark and the keyway line up at 3 and 5 o'clock or can i leave it as is with the match marks lined up between the shaft centers

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The dowel hole on the cam and the key groove of the crank will both have to be lined up, both pointed down towards the bottom right of the engine looking at it from the front. when you have the crank pulley on you can use it to get the engine to TDC, then put the dizzy in with the rotor pointed to the #1plug.

the timing chain i got also had a silver link that lined up with a mark on the cam gear if i remember..