1982 Datsun Maxima project

I have a 82 Datsun Maxima diesel and I’m new to the Datsun scene, I need helping figuring out if I can do a 5 lug conversion on it and if I can use a s13-s14 5lug conversion kit since I can pretty much swap the s13 or s14 coilovers onto it or if there is a specific kit that I need for it. Any help is appreciated and thank you for your time. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Maxima has a strut with integral spindle. The S13/13 are separate and the hubs are vastly different with different bearings so they won't interchange. If you want a 5 bolt strut the 300zx turbo had them. You'll need the calipers with them as I doubt swapping the 5 bolt hub onto the maxima will fit. 

I guess this is because you want to run to-days 19" rims??? Why not look for a set of factory 810 or Maxima aluminum mags that look correct? 280zx were also nice.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:14 PM, datzenmike said:

The Maxima has a strut with integral spindle. The S13/13 are separate and the hubs are vastly different with different bearings so they won't interchange. If you want a 5 bolt strut the 300zx turbo had them. You'll need the calipers with them as I doubt swapping the 5 bolt hub onto the maxima will fit. 

I guess this is because you want to run to-days 19" rims??? Why not look for a set of factory 810 or Maxima aluminum mags that look correct? 280zx were also nice.

It’s all apart of the learning curve and process for me. I’ll try the z32 strut and see if it works if not then back to the drawing board. And thanks for the advice. I’m just trying to make it different 

I just looked up the Datsun Maxima on google. So interesting. We got the 810 Bluebird here, which looks like the same car but with a shorter boot and bonnet and only the L20 and a solid rear axle. I know the JDM models included Z18DET and FJ20DET motors with IRS. I had no idea you guys got them as a 6cyl, let alone the L28 diesel. We only got that diesel motor in Patrols. It'd be fun to throw a turbo on that motor. It'd be a great sleeper!

3 hours ago, slowlearner said:

I just looked up the Datsun Maxima on google. So interesting. We got the 810 Bluebird here, which looks like the same car but with a shorter boot and bonnet and only the L20 and a solid rear axle. I know the JDM models included Z18DET and FJ20DET motors with IRS. I had no idea you guys got them as a 6cyl, let alone the L28 diesel. We only got that diesel motor in Patrols. It'd be fun to throw a turbo on that motor. It'd be a great sleeper!

My brother wants to throw an RB in it, idk which one he meant though. 

If the diesel is healthy.. and heck, those motors are pretty stout, an ebay turbo and fuel pump work would be much cheaper and easier. Could even be that a petrol 280zx turbo manifold might fit right up. A lot of other things about the L series motors are similar. Don't quote me on that though. @datzenmike would probably know.

Edited by slowlearner
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the 280zx (non turbo) exhaust manifolds was used on the L24 in the Maxima. By extension the turbo should fit also. LD28? They look the same but .... ?

LD28Ts were sold Australia/New Zealand but unknown if they used the zx manifold.

The VO7 block is also a good use to do a 3.5 stroker with custom crank but your talking 10s of thousands you would be upwards of $20k build by rebello.  

Run the diesel as is and enjoy it.  Don't see too many people keep the LD28.  

I do believe I've seen someone on the FB 810/910 owners page do a 5 lug conversion.