Tachometer

domicole

Hi, 

Just sign on your website and i was wondering if any of you have heard about "Dakota digital STA-1000 tachometer Interface...

I own a 710  1977 with a SR20 S14 swap and would like to keep my datsun tach if possible... i know this is almost impossible but just wondering if any of you have ever try this Dakota digital..

Thanks in advance!

Dom

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the SR use an obd2 connector?

2nd thing to look at would be how the factory 710 tach is wired.... 

My opinion is if you have a single wire 

Tach on the 710 and obd2 for the SR this should work. I know some datsuns had ones that were wired a little different, no idea what year or model, and i dont know if that even applies to your setup .... 

710 tachs  simply connect to the coil negative for their signal. This is why I asked about the coil. Some newer engines have a coil for each plug. Still the SR cars must have had tachs so there must be a feed signal on the harness somewhere.

6 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Does the SR use an obd2 connector?

2nd thing to look at would be how the factory 710 tach is wired.... 

My opinion is if you have a single wire 

Tach on the 710 and obd2 for the SR this should work. I know some datsuns had ones that were wired a little different, no idea what year or model, and i dont know if that even applies to your setup .... 

Thanks for the reply. Not to sure what you means by obd2.... but a regular 710 tach is usualy connected to negative on the coil. Sr20 have their own hardness and computer etc... and coil for each plug. One wire from the SR hardness is for the tach but it wont work... 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

710 tachs  simply connect to the coil negative for their signal. This is why I asked about the coil. Some newer engines have a coil for each plug. Still the SR cars must have had tachs so there must be a feed signal on the harness somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. Yes one wire is available from the harness but wont work... probably need a converter of some sort.... The people i got the harness just e-mail me back and don't think it can be done. just though some of you did come across that problem... 😉  Oh and yes each plugs have coil.. Missed my L20 with webers for the simplicity that's for sure🙄

Just now, domicole said:

Thanks for the reply. Not to sure what you means by obd2.... but a regular 710 tach is usualy connected to negative on the coil. Sr20 have their own hardness and computer etc... and coil for each plug. One wire from the SR hardness is for the tach but it wont work... 

That unit specifically uses an obd2 diagnostic port to get its information from the computer.... 

Same port on the newer cars that you plug into to read fault codes.... 

If you dont have an obd2 connection to your Sr computer and wiring you wont be able to hook up that unit.....

Have you verified that the tach in the vehicle still works?

If the 710 has a single input and the sr has a single wire for a tach signal it sounds like it should work... maybe the tach itself doesnt have power or something along those lines....

3 minutes ago, domicole said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes one wire is available from the harness but wont work... probably need a converter of some sort.... The people i got the harness just e-mail me back and don't think it can be done. just though some of you did come across that problem... 😉  Oh and yes each plugs have coil.. Missed my L20 with webers for the simplicity that's for sure🙄

Well that adds a little to it..... I'm sure there is a way.... I know when I was doing remote starts there was something called a tach generator....

Just now, Crashtd420 said:

Well that adds a little to it..... I'm sure there is a way.... I know when I was doing remote starts there was something called a tach generator....

Thanks again for the quick response. The tach was working fine before the swap. I have to run right now but i'll get back to you for sure.

cheers!

7 minutes ago, domicole said:

Thanks again for the quick response. The tach was working fine before the swap. I have to run right now but i'll get back to you for sure.

cheers!

Does seem like the sr doesnt like an aftermarket tach, which is similar wiring to the stock 710 tach.....

So makes sense it worked before but not now.... 

Screenshot_20200604-173734_Chrome.jpg

On 6/4/2020 at 5:46 PM, Crashtd420 said:

The wiring page from the autometer unit...

Screenshot-20200604-174456-Drive.jpg

That's pretty well what i've seen too. mine is call ""Dakota digital STA-1000 tachometer Interface..."

Real busy at the shop right now but i have to order something like this for sure and give it a try. Thanks again for the info and if you have a chance let me know heard about this Dakota company. Your help is much appreciated! 😉

I have never heard anything bad about Dakota digital..... I have seen them on some high end builds, the quality seems to be there....

My only concern with the Dakota unit is the connection to the vehicle, if you don't have an obd2 diagnostic port I'm not sure if you could use it?

Quick search says the SR20 did not use the obd2 diagnostic port.... just make sure what you buy is compatible to your need....

Goodluck....

The simplest and most accurate tach setup was in very early Datsun roadsters.  The distributor drive was taller, housed a spur gear drive and the tachometer was almost identical to the speedometer [mechanically wire cable driven].  Since it was directly registering the camshaft rotation, the face was calibrated in RPM not MPH.