Fuel pump leaking

J's 620

76 620 l20b, basically stock motor with a 2” exhaust system. I put in a Weber 38/38, runs great, but I noticed the fuel pump started leaking from what appears to be a hole on the underside of the pump. A pressure relief perhaps? I’m not running a regulator and I think this is why it leaks now. Anybody else run into this issue?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The mechanical pump is self regulating and works just fine as is.

They are very reliable and I have never seen a failed one though I'm sure that this could happen. Get a used one from a wrecking yard if you want good quality, or try a want ad... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/  .... New from Nissan they are about $100 so $50 would be about right from an auto parts store. You get what you pay for so don't expect much from a $20 POS. If you go electric you want not much over 3 to 3.5 PSI and best to mount it low and as close to the tank as possible and put a filter before it or replace the one you have if you replace the mechanical one.

• Like 1

Mike

I haven't heard of to many Datsuns in the junkyard. they crush them in a week up here in seattle as nobody looks for parts from these.As Datsun people don't want to pay!!!!

if they leak out the vent then the diaphrame is leaky and you might even have gas in the oil. so cheack that out. Maybe change your OIL

there is the Blackstone Mexico GOLD cap fuel pumps and some Chinese knockoffs that look like stock Japan made units.  usually under 30$

Maybe the dealer has some for about 120 if not more.  I still run Koyosan units and have 1 last spare when they were cheap.

One can go electric but needs to be under 4 pounds. Better yet like 3pounds.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

I’ve never had issues with my pump, it’s a factory part, I just can’t wrap my brain around why it leaks from this little hole. I will try to post a pic. Thanks for the replies. It didn’t appear to have gas in the oil. 
 On another unrelated note, I’ve had to reset my password twice today just to log in. 

Hmmmm, interesting point. Yeah only thing I changed was a carb and fuel lines. I kept my pcv, ran the cam cover vent  to the provided hole in the air cleaner housing. 
 Mike, i would have to call the dealer to see what a price would be. 

The fuel pump doesn't care what carburetor it's feeding. It's only job is to push gas at 3- 3.9 PSI and at 1,000 RPMs, deliver 1 liter or more volume. More than enough gas for any carburetor and the engine. If the diaphragm is leaking then it just normal wear that added up.

2 hours ago, J's 620 said:

So the consensus is, get a new fuel pump. Well I suppose it lasted long enough! Thanks guys. Now the decision of electric or mechanical. But that’s a topic in itself. 

If your running a factory Nikki fuel pump they do sell rebuild kits. Keep it factory if you can.

• Like 1

This is a 510 one Im sure its China, I bought 2 myself But someone on here is using one. this is close as orginal as one can get but the intake and out pipe are for a 510. where they located.

But if one can find a rebuild kit for your old one that's good to But make sure Made in Japan otherwise could be a kids Bike innertube as a diaphrame made in Vietnam/Bamgladesh

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=296166&cc=1209978&jsn=361

This 620 doesn’t actually have the pump with bolts on the top, It’s a solid unit, so maybe it’s not a factory part then. Anyway my local Napa has the fuel pump in stock and I can pick it up tomorrow for $45. 
 I know it’s been suggested to go electric but I’d like to keep most things stock or close to it. 
 As far as junkyard Datsuns......probably non existent here in East Idaho. I haven’t seen anything in awhile. Thanks for the advice and replies fellas, I will post up the results when I replace the pump. 

• Like 1

I installed a Webber and I'm running an electric pump from summit racing and it works great and I do have a regulator, Webber requires no more than 2.7 psi so if your pump is more than that you will have a problem,my pump is a low pressure pump between 2.5 and 4.

Well I ordered my pump from a 75 620. It’s the rebuildable type, has the correct inlet/ outlet locations, and it went in smoothly. The truck runs great no leaks. Problem solved. I hope this pump holds up for awhile.