Lawn Mower Advice

After over 28 years,our TroyBuilt mulching push mower finally died.

Looking into replacing it with the same type (push mower),& even considering

electric ones.Our lot size is just over 1/3 of an acre.

Any ideas/recommendations on this?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for another mower built by MTD if you decide on a gas mower. MTD makes most of branded mowers sold today but buy one with the thickest deck you can find available in your area. Thinner decks crack after several years due to flex. The handle and wheel height adjustment attachments also have problems if they are thin shLookeet metal.

The local experience with the electrics (very pricey $400-600) has been good except for the cost of battery replacement $80.00 and up) and in your case you will need two to completely mow your yard.

P.S. If your deck is still in good shape you can buy a new replacement engine for your machine under the cost of a new mower.  We replace engines frequently with either new or used. 

Replace the engine with something USA made if possible.

The new stuff is disposable, they make them to last a certain amount of time and then break and have it too expensive to fix, they want you to buy a new one not fix what you have.

As for Honda I had 3 Honda engines on my 3 pressure washers, the mufflers kept falling off and it was a non-warranty item, 3 different engines with the same freaking issue and I had to pay to fix it, the last 3 month old engine(new engine) I turned up the RPMs a little(couple hundred RPMs) to make the engine run smoother so the muffler would quit falling off in the middle of the night(commercial job), it ran great till it lost/sucked a valve, they called it over revved and not under warranty, that was the last Honda engine I had on any of my pressure washers, I run Vanguard now on my two commercial pressure washers and my older MTD riding lawn mower(I installed the engine), a couple years later the shop told me that Honda had fixed the issue, I looked at that shop guy in amazement that he would ever even say that to me, he never said anything to me about Honda engines after that, all I said was "to little, too late", that was over 20 years ago.

The reason they put plastic carbs on everything new is because of the corrosive gas they sell these days, it eats metal, it is the same reason all gas stations in this country have plastic tanks, that is why I use non-ethanol gas in all my vehicles except the work truck, and use it in my mowers, blowers, rototillers, edgers, chainsaws, any small engine that sits around as that crap gas can go bad in 3 months and your new engine will not start anymore since it sat all winter, customers complain about this too me all the time as my engines start easily and run each and everyday without so much as a hiccup, I tell them not to buy pump gas, buy non-ethanol fuel, it is readily available in my state.

• Like 1

I hate to tell you this bonzai510, but Briggs engines are mostly if not all chinese now.  The Husqvarna mowers were known to have been built with defective B&S engines a few years ago.  It seems that they are still  built to a price point for sales.  Honda products are very good but not readily available everywhere.  The best US engine out there is the Kohler  in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, wayno said:

Replace the engine with something USA made if possible.

The new stuff is disposable, they make them to last a certain amount of time and then break and have it too expensive to fix, they want you to buy a new one not fix what you have.

As for Honda I had 3 Honda engines on my 3 pressure washers, the mufflers kept falling off and it was a non-warranty item, 3 different engines with the same freaking issue and I had to pay to fix it, the last 3 month old engine(new engine) I turned up the RPMs a little(couple hundred RPMs) to make the engine run smoother so the muffler would quit falling off in the middle of the night(commercial job), it ran great till it lost/sucked a valve, they called it over revved and not under warranty, that was the last Honda engine I had on any of my pressure washers, I run Vanguard now on my two commercial pressure washers and my older MTD riding lawn mower(I installed the engine), a couple years later the shop told me that Honda had fixed the issue, I looked at that shop guy in amazement that he would ever even say that to me, he never said anything to me about Honda engines after that, all I said was "to little, too late", that was over 20 years ago.

The reason they put plastic carbs on everything new is because of the corrosive gas they sell these days, it eats metal, it is the same reason all gas stations in this country have plastic tanks, that is why I use non-ethanol gas in all my vehicles except the work truck, and use it in my mowers, blowers, rototillers, edgers, chainsaws, any small engine that sits around as that crap gas can go bad in 3 months and your new engine will not start anymore since it sat all winter, customers complain about this too me all the time as my engines start easily and run each and everyday without so much as a hiccup, I tell them not to buy pump gas, buy non-ethanol fuel, it is readily available in my state.

Not arguing any of your points.  The plastic carbs I've dealt with just seem to end up sucking air around the throttle shafts since they don't seal well (foam seals???).

11 hours ago, angliagt said:

After over 28 years,our TroyBuilt mulching push mower finally died.

Looking into replacing it with the same type (push mower),& even considering

electric ones.Our lot size is just over 1/3 of an acre.

Any ideas/recommendations on this?

what exactly broke on it ?

no spark ?

burned valve ?
clogged/bad carb ?

scored cylinder/walls/puking oil ?

broken cable ?

Intermittent ignition switch/solenoid ?

Belt or hookup somewhere broken ?

sometimes good used engines can be had for reasonable price or a new one... understandable if you don’t want to dunk with it though.

non-ethanol truly is the way to go like WaynI said IF you can find it. Use to be 8-9 miles down the road from me for .10 cents a gallon more. Now it’s really expensive in the area I live in now (last checked I could be wrong idk).

I have a $2300.00 John Deere zero turn z335e Briggs and Stratton 20hp pressurized oil riding mower. Engine Works fine. Not sure I’d buy it again , but there’s nothing *wrong* with it so far...Kinda spendy , not worth it if you don’t NEED or WANT a zero turn. 

father in laws several 20-35 year old riding mowers all have Briggs , both use oil , pour more in , fire them up , keep mowing.

I kinda feel All suggestions would be based on a price range-ish

Edited by I'm BLUE

It has no compression.The main metal body (deck) has been

bent a lot of times.I had a lawn mower repair guy verify that there

was no compression.The metal body (deck) has been bent lots of

times.I just can't see spending a lot of money on it.

I'm willing to spend the money,but don't need much more than

a basic mower.I figure that I don't need a self-propelled model - just

more that could go wrong down the road.

Jagman,

I thought about calling you about this.Our lot size is just over 1/3 acre,

and that includes the house,outbuildings (2),trees (lots),& fences.

I've also heard that about Kohler engines.

Love to talk to you.  My number is 276 694 2499 (house after 5) or shop during the day 276 694 3748.  If I don't answer at the shop leave a number and I will call you back. I'm out picking up and delivering some of the time. 

When necessary, I buy old mowers off Craigslist or Facebook and tune them up, instead of buying new. Wayno hit it spot on, new machines are made to be disposable, not to mention it took me a few hours to rewire the last semi-new lawnmower I owned, to remove the "safety bar" engine kill and install a toggle kill switch, and fabricate a new throttle plate that would allow more flow. I also, cut the top of the engine cover and removed the pull cord, so I could start it with a socket and a half inch electric drill.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, frankendat said:

When necessary, I buy old mowers off Craigslist or Facebook and tune them up, instead of buying new. Wayno hit it spot on, new machines are made to be disposable, not to mention it took me a few hours to rewire the last semi-new lawnmower I owned, to remove the "safety bar" engine kill and install a toggle kill switch, and fabricate a new throttle plate that would allow more flow. I also, cut the top of the engine cover and removed the pull cord, so I could start it with a socket and a half inch electric drill.

Holy shit, I use a zip tie on my safety bar.  Same one has been on there for five years.  I just slide it back and forth.

1 hour ago, angliagt said:

It has no compression.The main metal body (deck) has been

bent a lot of times.I had a lawn mower repair guy verify that there

was no compression.The metal body (deck) has been bent lots of

times.I just can't see spending a lot of money on it.

I'm willing to spend the money,but don't need much more than

a basic mower.I figure that I don't need a self-propelled model - just

more that could go wrong down the road.

Can the lawn mower repair guy sell you a good used mower?

3 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Holy shit, I use a zip tie on my safety bar.  Same one has been on there for five years.  I just slide it back and forth.

Then you missed out on some prime cursing opportunities. They'll start with low obscene mutterings, about the nanny state, while you cut and splice the wire, and will end with yelling about the lack of pride in craftsmanship and disposable culture while trying to find a decent ground, among the plastic and  mims parts

I've got a Briggs powered Snapper that I got off Freecycle about 15 years ago that I use for my main mower.  Aluminium deck, rear drive, bib bag, nice mower.  I use electrical tape to hold the blade bar down, quick unrap to shut down and tape it back. 

Guy a couple houses down brought over a Honda powered Troy Bilt that wouldn't start; quick clean of the corn gas mush from the main jet and it's on craigslist.

I feed my small engines gas treated with Seafoam and MMO, that and running the ones dry that have fuel shutoffs help to alleviate carb problems.

• Like 1

About 15 years ago, I traded in my gas mower for a Neuton Electric Mower that uses a rechargeable battery.  It was some "green program" sponsored by the State of California.  I've only had the replace the battery once.  Mower still works.  Plenty of power to shoot the grass into the bag.  I typically get 10 - 15 mows between charges.

On 5/31/2020 at 4:06 PM, frankendat said:

When necessary, I buy old mowers off Craigslist or Facebook.

Exactly...

I got time strapped + working longer hours which led to = buyIng A new pos instead of finding a fixable (relatively) used one.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:38 AM, flyerdan said:

I've got a Briggs powered Snapper that I got off Freecycle about 15 years ago.

I feed my small engines gas treated with Seafoam and MMO.

yup ! Love them for what they are

Edited by I'm BLUE
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, olskool720 said:

About 15 years ago, I traded in my gas mower for a Neuton Electric Mower that uses a rechargeable battery.  It was some "green program" sponsored by the State of California.  I've only had the replace the battery once.  Mower still works.  Plenty of power to shoot the grass into the bag.  I typically get 10 - 15 mows between charges.

Screw going for gas or mixing gas or checking/topping up or changing the oil and screw pull starts and the noise and screw winterizing it. 

• Like 1

OK I cheat and have a 150 foot extension cord that was used in a mining operation. It's as thick as your thumb so very little voltage drop. That cord is always out being used for Christmas lights or hand drill, drill press, saw, impact gun...  w/e I'm doing outside so it's not like I ever roll it up and put away. In the winter I shove the mower under a 620 hood on 2 saw horses. Fuck the neighbor and his noisyPOS gas mower.