'84 720 clutch pedal dilemma

SatoRich

So upon putting a different motor in the truck I came across an odd issue. I have truck idling around 1k rpm so I can adjust the timing and I'm having a hard time doing so. I have it staying at that rpm but once I put any pressure on the clutch pedal, the rpm's jump up to +/- 3k. I'm not engaging the clutch at all, it's like I'm touching the gas pedal. Also, how and where am I supposed to be on timing? 5° I believe I saw on another thread. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I cannot figure out the clutch dilemma at all.

720-2wd-z24-2.4l

70k on new motor

118k on chasis

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the tach option or just a reasonable guess???

1,000 RPM is too high to set the timing. Vacuum and mechanical advance are starting to add to the initial advance of 50. Get it down around 750-850. Or will it go that low???

Do you have air conditioning????

Go watch the carburetor where the throttle cable joins to it and have someone step on the clutch pedal. What do  you see that makes the engine rev up?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Do you have the tach option or just a reasonable guess???

1,000 RPM is too high to set the timing. Vacuum and mechanical advance are starting to add to the initial advance of 50. Get it down around 750-850. Or will it go that low???

Do you have air conditioning????

Go watch the carburetor where the throttle cable joins to it and have someone step on the clutch pedal. What do  you see that makes the engine rev up?

No a/c, no tach, just by earshot. It doesn't like to stay idling when I adjust it that low, starts to want to die. I've been moving the distributor to find it's sweet spot but still haven't found it.

• Like 1