Plug-in speedo cable no longer available?

matrophy

I've been told that the 'plug-in' speedo cable is no longer available. I attached photos of what I mean by 'plug-in'. I see that RockAuto has one for an '82 720 (but for a 2.2L engine) where the picture shows the plug-in piece where their pictures for later model trucks like mine ('86 with 2.4L) show a picture with just screw-in ends on both sides. I am tempted to by the '82 version from them but all of the RockAuto listings for speedo cables for all of the years I looked at say that  the cables are 70" long. Mine appears to be in the neighborhood of 55" long so I'm wondering if they are in fact, no longer available.

CqmKPXp.jpg

KYSJXeb.jpg

From RockAuto

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost positive the speedometer ends are all the same for the 720 and as all the transmissions are the same (71B) then the only problem is the length. Too long is ok but too short will never work. The earlier 620 used a screw end onto the speedometer but 720s were a clip on.

• Like 1

I had my cable disconnected from both ends to lube it and I measured close to 55" so I'm thinking that 70" may be too long if their description is correct. Not sure how to route it so it doesn't kink

• Like 1