1200 Buyers Guide

Lachlan

Hi, I'm new here.

This forum was recommended by a friend (1600 owner) as a great source of Datsun info.

I'm inspecting a 1972 Datsun 1200 4-door sedan tomorrow and was wondering what to look for. I don't have many details on the car at the moment (e.g. transmission, condition), but I understand it was owned by the seller's elderly mother and has been stored in a farm shed since she passed away. The registration expired in 2013.

I know rust can be an issue for these cars. Are particular areas more prone than others?

What other issues would you keep an eye out for?

I'm reading what I can find on Google, but I know the best info comes from the owners themselves. Can you help?

Thanks,

Lachlan

PS I searched the archives and couldn't find anything on this topic.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

floor pans are most common for any of these datsuns, spare tire wheel well, front fenders below the a pillars (dirt traps moisture here), lower rear quarters.

Edited by Draker
  • Like 1

Other issues.. nothing that any other car won't have. It's old..  check the fuel tank, is it rusty? probably will need fuel and brake system gone through. Carb will probably need cleaning. If it has a tach, that's a plus. 5 speed would be a plus. Is the windshield in good shape? Those are hard to come by. All the weather seals will probably be shot, but you've got all the sources for quality rubber down there.

• Like 1

check also for rust in the rocker panels below the back of the front door and behind the license plate.

The 5-speed is a huge plus but be aware that changing from an automatic to manual is a big job because the transmission tunnel is rather different.

Hoods get beat up, opened too far and it bends the support structure in ways that are hard to fix.

The cowl vent scoops are usually cooked and broken but reproductions are available.

The dash pad is usually toast and there are no replacements to be had.

The seals are easy to get, might cost you $1200 or so for a full set though.

The running gear is all indestructible for it's intended use and wear items (seals, bearings,hoses,etc.) are all easily had.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed replies! I printed this out and referred to it during the inspection.

It's an automatic. Rust was minimal from what we could get to. Front seats were not original, but the rest of the car was. Engine turned over but did not start.

I've made a fair offer and will update here if it is accepted. Otherwise, thanks again.

Lachlan

• Like 1

After negotiating a fair price, I purchased and collected the 1200 this weekend.

Thank you again for the above info and advice. Here's the build thread:

Lachlan

Edited by Lachlan
Included a link to another thread.
On 5/30/2020 at 1:36 AM, Lachlan said:

After negotiating a fair price, I purchased and collected the 1200 this weekend.

Thank you again for the above info and advice. When I start a build thread, I'll update this post with the link.

Lachlan

Congratulations!  They really are fun little cars.  It's way easier in your part of the world, lots of reproduction parts available.

• Like 1