Head liner questions

I need to pound out some dents in my roof and then I want to put some sound deadener up there while I am at it. I see that in order to take out the head liner you have to remove the surrounds from the windshield and rear window. Are those gaskets or whatever reusable or do I need to order new ones beforehand? Any advice for removal and replacement of those, and the liner itself? Mine is pristine and I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks! 

Edited by Negative Ghostrider
Corrected typo
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a company called Vintagerubber.com that makes a full set of rubber for both 2 and 4 doors as well as stuff for the wagons. They also sell them in individuals to meet your needs.  I bought a set from them for when I put my car back together.  They look pretty good to me.  Can't say how they fit yet for the Datsun but I used their stuff back when I had my MK1 GTI and it fit pretty good and was comparable to factory quality anyway.  Certainly better than most the stuff that comes from CCP virus land.  I imagine that they might be flexible on the pricing given the shutdowns etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Upon closer reading I realize that the whole windshield needs to come out. At first I thought it was just like an inner seal or something. That certainly increases the pucker factor for me. So is the technique in this video the same as the process for putting my windshield back in with the new gasket? Also, since I don't really need to fully remove the headliner to pound out dents and install deadener I guess I don't need to pull the rear window seal as well. Mine has a newer seal and doesn't leak so I don't see the point in pulling it if I don't have to. 

10 hours ago, Negative Ghostrider said:

So is the technique in this video the same as the process for putting my windshield back in with the new gasket?

Basically yes but redoing a curved windshield is a little different than the flat one they do. Make sure your new seal is warm and pliable and don't waste your time with thick cord/rope, get some string trimmer line (weed wacker) it's very strong, very slippery and is much easier to pull the lip of the seal over the pinchweld than cord is and trimmer line will not tear the rubber the way cord does sometimes.  A second pair of hands pushing the glass from the outside is good but it can be done by yourself if you have to.