Greaser2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Greaser2 said:

Really good advise, it is grade 5.  I would speculate the perch mount would break before the bolt but I will look for a class 10 or Grade 8 bolt.  

I'm sure that you're correct on the mount failing before the bolt, if it is 3/4" diameter as you stated. The little sedan is feather light and if the power unit is anywhere near stock, won't be creating any excessive loading on suspension/steering parts. I got my engineering degree from under a shade-tree (as in shad-tree mechanic). I tend to over engineer everything which allows me to sleep well.

The rolled versus cut threads, either by lathe or threading die came from a discussion on steering parts on a Ford Festiva forum several years ago. Someone was needing another half inch or so of threads on each side of the car to dial it in. Someone suggested running a die further onto the rod end to get the extra adjustment. Jumped right out at me and I did a bit of reading on internet and joined in on the forum. A really good discussion ensued. The rolling of the threads is sort of a minor forging operation whereas material is displaced and compressed aligning the metal grain structure on the surface smoothing and strengthening it. The cutting of threads leaves microscopic tears and lines that could develop into cracking and breakage when vibration and stress are encountered. 

I recall a story that went around our little podunk town back in the 1960's. A mechanic at a service station garage had done some work on a car for a customer and put low-stress bolts in the steering and/or suspension. A bolt failed and someone was killed in the subsequent mess. Nothing to do with threads or fasteners, but when wife and I were dating in early 1966, she lived in Tulsa, about 100 miles from where I lived. We were still in high school and I worked till 4 or 5 o'clock on Saturday. After work I'd jump through the shower and blast to Tulsa for the rest of the weekend. I was 18 and had a 55 Chevy with new 283 with Corvette Rochester fuel-injection unit. I have a cherished pic of wife at 15 years age sitting under the hood on the FI intake plenum. Anyway, I'd blast to Tulsa so we could go out on Sat. night There were several areas on the trip where I'd run at 90-100 mph on occasion. One night I arrived at her house and we decided that we were staying home that night so the car sat in the driveway all night. Next morning we went out to go to breakfast or something and I backed out of the driveway. As soon as I got in the street and started straightening the wheels up,  I could hear a scraping sound and the steering went funky. Got out and the right tie-rod end had fallen off the ball. I most likely had been running at or near 100 mph twenty miles or so before parking in her driveway.

2 hours ago, difrangia said:

Okie from Muskogee, huh ?

McAlester area for me, Eufaula & Krebs to be more specific.

Were you in Muskogee when James Leake had the vehicle museum there ??

I seem to remember a museum but it’s been 35 years.  Will have to ask mom. 

50 minutes ago, Greaser2 said:

I seem to remember a museum but it’s been 35 years.  Will have to ask mom. 

James Leake was married to a lady from a prominent family (Halsell) in Muskogee. He was a member of the founders of TV Channel 8 in Tulsa. He died a decade or two ago and his 'James C. Leake Classic Car Auction' in Tulsa generally still takes place on first Saturday in June. He had exotic and intriguing cars, motorcycles, and airplanes in the big museum in north Muskogee. I took my dad up for a visit several times. Virtually always had Deusenberg, Marmon, Isotta-Franchini, Ferrari, Rolls-Royce & Bently, and many lesser pricey cars. I distinctly remember an original WWI Tri-Fokker hanging from the ceiling. Motorcycles: Vincent, early Harleys, and lots of interesting Britt cycles. We ran a beautiful 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet convertible through the auction in early 90's & didn't meet reserve. Big rotating stage in front of the auctioneers stand. Drive the car up on the rotissere, get out and they opened doors, hood, & trunk while it was rotating and the auctioneer was doing his description & the auctioning. As the bids wound down they closed everything up and you get back in and drive off the auction podium as the final bids came in. Spent about $800 (eight hundred 1992 dollars) in two minutes. The Plymouth went to Wisconsin with a jeweler a couple years later.

Edited by difrangia
  • 8 months later...