1974 DATSUN PICKUP - QUESTIONS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RustedRails said:

Lookin great! love the grill swap. Did you get it running??

Thank you!

Yes it is running! I should have kept the forum up to speed with what was happening, but I have just been pm'ing Mike and Hainz about questions that I had. Today I am going to get a new coil in because I am only getting spark some times and I think that this is my problem... I have a 74' coil in it and the engine is a 79' L20B so I need to get the right coil any ways. I should also note that the old coil was sitting in the bed of the pickup outside for the last 2 years... so its worth the update!

When the pickup is running it seems to flood easily... could this be because of the coil as well? I imagine that a shitty coil with no spark can cause a pickup to flood... thoughts?! 

I have another problem that I am trying to fix tonight... I got a new alternator for a 79' engine, and I didn't realize that it was internally regulated so I am going to take out the old regulator, and bypass it with (Mike's instruction of course). The current problem with having the internal regulator and external is that the engine wont shit off when I get it running... 

2 hours ago, RustedRails said:

Lookin great! love the grill swap. Did you get it running??

Also I got the grille and the floor mat for the pickup for $55 at the local salvage yard... Super sweet find!

I am the only one that knows about this parts pickup so I'm taking it apart one piece at a time.

I still haven't decided on what mirrors I am going to use, any suggestions?

If it's a points distributor it's ok. If it has a flat square module on the side it an EI matchbox and while it will work with your points coil and ballast it really needs a special coil (for use without the ballast) for high output and best results.

Dangit I already got the coil for the '79... Mine does have the matchbox on it... so the coil for a '79 isnt what I need? 

can you send me a link to the one i need?

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

If it's a points distributor it's ok. If it has a flat square module on the side it an EI matchbox and while it will work with your points coil and ballast it really needs a special coil (for use without the ballast) for high output and best results.