Fenders different between model years?

Did the front fenders change slightly over the model years? I am picking up a 74 tomorrow and it has front fenders but they are not original. They look 98% right but the contours are just ever so slightly different than the door and front bumper lines and they stick out a hair. Could they be from a later model year? I can post pics tomorrow if needed. Thanks! 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If in the 620 section I assume this is for the 620.

'73 through '79 620 used the same fenders, only the badges changed. There are lots of cheap Taiwan tin fenders out there. They probably bought the old stamping dies and used thinner metal or shitty cheap Chinese steel that doesn't stretch and form the same. Anyone who has bought them has had to live with it or re-work them to fit properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

The fenders I bought from Greece off eBay had garbage for brackets inside, and the front apron piece wasn't even close. I would never suggest someone waste the money.

Also, the door I got is actually smaller than the OEM... and way thinner metal

Edited by ducky

I  don't really know about foreign manufacturer policies but domestic American manufacturers kept the dies and manufactured replacement body parts in house for 5 years.  They then lent or leased the dies to authorized parts suppliers, inspected and stocked the results as spare parts.  After 10 years, the dies were either scrapped, abandoned in place at the supplier or sold on the open market.  The results were not manufacturer controlled, supplied through parts chains, stocked or inspected.  The quality was up to the option of the cheapest supplier.