Cabin vents

Valvebounce

I got tagged today on FB in a 620 project a local datsun fiend is selling. (Lots of guys want it, but most people are maxed out of projects already. Lol) looking at the pictures, I see one of the cabs has the early vents behind the doors. 

My '78 truck doesnt have these. And I was just wondering if anyone knows why they were deleted on the later model trucks? 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes sence. I know in a lot of vehicles the best way to let fresh air in is to give it a place to escape on the other side. (Like opening the rear side windows on a KB120/210/310)

I'm almost tempted to add "dummy" early style vents to capture the early look.

Edited by Valvebounce

I can say for sure that the early vents adding cooling in the winter and increased wind noise.  They are very functional and still in place in the truck we race at Bonneville, per the rules plus they keep the cab cooler.  You won't be able to add them as dummies, as they attach by inserting into a hole in the body and sit a bit recessed.

• 2 weeks later...

On trucks with factory air, 2 of the 3 front vents (the ones just in front of the doors) are sealed.  I ripped out my ac and the underdash conduits, removed the sheetmetal plates over the vent ports, and installed the appropriate pull-rod controlled flap inlets.  .  Result is MUCH better airflow.  
In anticipation of the question “Why’d you take out the AC?”, it was a heavy and fairly useless embellishment that always seemed to have some part of itself in my way.