no spark :(

A few days ago the wires broke off the pickup for my distributor, and today the new one came in and I put it on. Still no spark.

Coil has power, ignition module is getting 12v in and outputting 1v all the time (doesn't seem to fluctuate when I crank it).

I would just grab a new ignition coil but it is a 50 mile ride into town so I'd like to see if theres anything I can do from here first.

Nothing else has changed, it has never had a problem before.

ZkVdp3i.jpg

myTRWm7.jpg

ftKRzL7.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know but when i see wire nuts,twisted wires and tape on all that i wonder if it could be a bad connection ? Also there might be a measurement for how close that new pickup needs to be to the wheel that triggers it.Someone will chime in.

I tried gaps between 0.003 and 0.001 but the last one i just stuck on and it works so I'm not sure how picky they are.

Is there a way to check and see if the magnets are working? the whole distributor seems to be magnetized all the time.

ftKRzL7.jpg

InDpDXk.jpg

1/ First try reversing the red and green wires, (I know you have it right but humor me)

2/ To test the coil rather then spend $40 to find out it was a waste of time and money do the following. Make a jumper wire and ground one end, turn key on, pull wire off cap and hold near ground, touch the ground to the negative side of the coil and remove. Coil should spark. (got to be 1/)

Okay update last night I pulled off one of the wires from the negative side that had been there it's whole life and after that it started right up. problem solved!

So this morning I loaded up to head into town and turned the key. no spark again. haven't changed anything.

I had my brother run me out a new distributor and ignition module so those arent the problem. tested the coil it is fine.

Wired it up like mikes diagram says (I have always had the ignition wire connected to the negative side and that's how it started last night) but no difference there.

The battery's dead now so I'm charging it for a second.

The saga continues. It runs again. I pulled some more wires off it.

Anyone have a clue what these wires might be so I can try and understand why it can't have them on anymore?

DVA7aZG.jpg

There are three off now that were on before the blue one was on the negative side and has no charge and the black and white ones were on + and have battery charge.

And it is still only running with my ignition wire on the - side.

Rats nest, haven't a clue. Find a wiring diagram for the B-210. What year should be in you profile.

Ignition on 12v goes to the + terminal of the coil NOT the negative one.

The HEI module MUST be solidly grounded.

I tried hooking the ignition wire to the + yesterday after I got it working but it wasn't having it. It was running smooth otherwise.

Anyway it changed its mind today, now it doesn't get spark while the starter is cranking, but it does after the starter is turned off.

The wiring diagrams in my book show only 2 wires hooked up to the distributor so the rest are for the ballast resistor it doesn't say what color they are so I'll keep guessing.

Not sure why it won't go with just my ignition + and the hei - hooked up but there ya go.

Update: convinced it to work with ign wire on the correct side but it now runs only with a 30-35 degree timing advance and it kills itself every 5 minutes or so when it realises what ive done.

Strangely its running the same as ever besides that.

I TDC'd the distributor to make sure it wasn't off and it aint.

On a points set up... there are two wires coming from the ignition switch. One has +12v in the on position and start,  the other has +12v in the start position only. The forst wire goes to the ballast resistor that drops the voltage to about 8-9 volts so the arcing of the points is reduced and they last longer, and then on to the coil + terminal.. The other wire goes directly to the coil + terminal. When you start the engine +12v goes directly to the coil for very hot spark when starting but when the key is released it goes back to 8v in the on position.

Find the two wires from the ignition switch and join them together with one to the module and one to the coil + terminal. Be sure that the coil is for an EI distributor, the points coil will get HOT!!!

Use this diagram but ignore the 1.6 ohm coil and get an EI that is 0.75 to 1.0 ohms.

. InDpDXk.jpg