Reed kill switch on clutch switch?

I'm brainstorming ideas for a starter kill switch. I know the popular option is some kind of defeat on the fuel pump. I dig the idea of a magnetic switch like Hardwyre's but those require relays and such. Humor me here. Could one just put a n/o magnetic reed switch by itself inline on the clutch safety switch and call it good? Magnet over the switch to close it, depress clutch, start, done? Or am I missing/forgetting something? 

Could additionally still hide a fuel kill toggle somewhere as a second layer of defense. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to drive a karmen ghia into NY.  I got it because the prior owner had had it stolen and joy driven twice.  I put a pressure switch under the floor carpet in front of the seat. The switch was an interrupt to the positive lead on the coil. Press to engage or disengage. A rocker switch would also work. 

2 hours ago, Negative Ghostrider said:

I'm brainstorming ideas for a starter kill switch. I know the popular option is some kind of defeat on the fuel pump. I dig the idea of a magnetic switch like Hardwyre's but those require relays and such. Humor me here. Could one just put a n/o magnetic reed switch by itself inline on the clutch safety switch and call it good? Magnet over the switch to close it, depress clutch, start, done? Or am I missing/forgetting something? 

Could additionally still hide a fuel kill toggle somewhere as a second layer of defense. 

What car???????

Not all have EFI or an electric pump. 

On 5/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, jagman said:

I used to drive a karmen ghia into NY.  I got it because the prior owner had had it stolen and joy driven twice.  I put a pressure switch under the floor carpet in front of the seat. The switch was an interrupt to the positive lead on the coil. Press to engage or disengage. A rocker switch would also work. 

I could get around that in 10seconds and have the car started....

1 wire with alligator clips... power the coil , and a screw drive to start it....

Did this to my 521 just before I started to do the rebuild years ago just because..

Especially if the motor has a mechanical fuel pump and points but most times the electronic distributors are powered by the same wire that powers the coil... 

I'm paranoid of this with my 521, luckily for me i can access my distributor with bluetooth and lock it internally....

You would have to swap distributors to steal my truck....

The other problem is these vehicles dont have a steering wheel lock... but I've heard those could be broken easily even if they did.....

Most of these ideas would trick most but if someone knows how simple these types of vehicles are the can do like I said.... 

Things like relocating the battery and using a disconnect switch would almost be better.... that would remove the power source from the engine bay...

I use to do remote starts so my job was to make a car run without a key... 

Most thievery is opportunity. The easier the more likely. No one carries a jumper wire without planning to and knowing something about older Jap tin. Jumper wires don't work on newer cars. First line of defense is roll the windows up and lock it. Don't make it easy. Now the thief has to decide if breaking in is worth the added risk or to move on. Get one of those fake flashing alarm armed LEDs and a window sticker. Make them wonder if it's real.

Bolt a length of chain to one of the seat belt anchors that will loop around the shifter when in reverse with a padlock on it.  WAY easier than a removable steering wheel.

Put a switch in line with the starter and /or coil and re locate the hood release to the other side of the heater, how often do you use it anyway? be creative.