Question on my Turn Signal Flasher Unit

canon3383

I am the proud new owner of a used 14 foot utility trailer, the trailer has regular bulbs (not LED's), my truck didn't have the the 4 plug connector for the lights, so I installed one (real easy), when I went to test the trailer connection, with the blinkers turned on, it flashes a lot faster than without it being hooked up. I was wanting to know what Turn Signal Flasher Unit I could put in as the stock unit has too much of a load on it with the trailer attached. I had a a trailer hitch on my 72 impala 30 years ago that also had to have the turn signal unit replaced for the same issue but that car has been gone for 25 years. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to a wrecking yard or store and grab an electronic flasher from a newer car.  Datsun flashers require a load of two flashing bulbs to work. If one burns out usually the flasher won't flash or flashed extremely slow  warning you that something is wrong. If you add trailer lights it flashes faster. An electronic flasher has a set flash rate no matter the load.

flasher-relay-LED-electronic-FR-1-honda-

• Like 1

I was hoping someone had replaced theirs and would have a recommendation of the flasher unit model. When my truck bulb goes out, it doesn't flash at all and I haven't had a chance to look and see what the stock one I have is. Still hoping for the recommendation.

• Like 1

You have 2 choices. The regular load dependent one that flashes faster when you add extra lights like a trailer or an electronic one mentioned above that has a set speed.

Just get one with the two wires. They are universal ford will fit chev will fit nissan will fit dodge. Just go to NAPA with your old one and say I want one of these. If you don't want your lights flashing faster ask for an electronic one.

• Like 1

If memory serves me correctly, when i built a trailer to haul behind my 1984 KC 4x4 I had to put an adapter in the wiring harness. The truck had separate turn signals.

Brake & park were same.

Chopper Jim

• Like 1