Parking Brake Cables

DatGregsun

Anyone have suggestions as to if/how to replace Intermediate Cable for 620?
Nissan part # 36400-B8051 - Cable-Brake, but part no longer available.

Curious is anyone has old catalog with "specs" on length, that way I might be able to find a "close" replacement, possibly from other Datsun models.

Mine no longer works and am guessing due to its age and rust, it likely frayed apart as the connection on both ends still appears fine.

Thx.

DatGregSun

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unique to the 620. Under dash hand brakes were pretty much only on cars and trucks with front bench seat. 521/510 are different.

If yours isn't working take it out and you can measure it yourself. Try some WD-40 and pulling on both ends and flexing it to loosen it. Once loose ALWAYS use your hand brake when parking and it will never rust and give any problems again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike,

Yep, I agree on all counts.

We pulled the brake cable yesterday and are doing exactly as you suggested,

It's already starting to loosen up a bit and we hope to have it freed up within a few days.

Yes, continuing to use it is KEY and will do so.

Best

DatGregSun

• Like 1
On 5/8/2020 at 11:37 PM, datzenmike said:

Unique to the 620. Under dash hand brakes were pretty much only on cars and trucks with front bench seat. 521/510 are different.

My C30 Laurel has an under dash hand brake, same as 620

What I meant was the was the 620 cable is unique the 620. The part number does not match anything else and although it might match a Laurel we don't have them here.

Does your Laurel have a bench seat? I figure hand lever between bucket seats and under dash for bench seats. 

Mike,

I removed hand brake/parking brake cable and started spraying both ends with Tri-Flow teflon spray.

After two days of working both ends and rolling up/unrolling cable it finally broke free and I can move it back and forth now.

Will need to work it a bit more so it will function properly once reinstalled.

Thx again for the great suggestions.

DatGregSun

• Like 2

There are really nice cable lubers available that we use for motocycle brake and clutch cables. It basicly seals the lube can hose and forces the lubricant down the sheath.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TYX9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ja.UEbH8B343R

Or you could use the old corner of a plastic bag and elastic band to make a funnel and just leave the cable hanging inverted and let gravity to pull it down.

My grandpa used to use kerosene to penetrate and break loose stuck stuff. Once loose he would use normal lube but not wd-40 it attracts dust and grit.

Best modern lube I would recommend is motorcycle chain lube as it is designed to run and not attract dirt and grime.

• Like 1

That picture looks like the one I have. I no longer have a motorcycle, but I still have the luber. I no longer use it very often, but I don't want to get rid of it.  I like it well enough I have never even thought about getting rid of it.

Don

• Like 1

My 68 510 had no wiper squirter. I thought it was one of those douche bags that are foot operated like on an old Dodge but I found it on the reservoir. I bet the original owner never used it in the rain because the motor (yes electric 'engines' are called motors) was seized. The beauty of the '68 was everything nut and bolted together and I took it apart and cleaned it and got it working.

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Does your Laurel have a bench seat? I figure hand lever between bucket seats and under dash for bench seats. 

No just 2 front seat and a rear bench

• Like 1