Throttle stuck 620 1975

Droski

Hello yall

I lost "sprigeness" to my gas pedal and the throttle seems to be stuck I'm taking off the air filter housing to check out the carb. Any help with this issue is appreciated. I also was messing around with battery trying to clean the terminals i did see some sparks fly but I'm not sure that these issues are related. Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ground to the body is missing. The battery positive terminal touched the body and the only path for current to flow to the ground on the block is through the throttle cable. It will heat up like an electric toaster and melt the plastic sheath on the outside. When it cools and hardens around the cable it's effectively welded and won't move.

Buy or find another throttle cable and run a 10 gauge ground cable from the engine to the sheet metal body.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Now get a foot of 10 gauge cable and crimp or solder lugs on the ends. Bolt one to the engine and the other to the body sheet metal. Maybe the starter mounting bolt and something on the firewall. Or valve cover bolt at the back and something on the firewall. Your ground cable from the negative battery post was probably replaced and the new one didn't have the ground to the body on it.  I did this TWICE on my 521 in the 70s before I got it through my head to fix it. Once was 15 miles from home. I was lucky I set the fast idle and made it.