rust in fuel tank

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a good quality filter and there shouldn't be any problems. If it's that fine it will go right through.

I've had a cheap $4 filter and when I eventually changed it the element inside had come loose and was rattling around doing nothing. Change every 2-3 years or sooner if necessary.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used a dilute solution of muriatic acid to clean gas tanks but know that if a tank has rusted too much there can be pin holes created by the cleaning process.  Half fill the tank with water, pour in a quarter cup of acid, fill the tank to the top and leave it standing for about 6 hours.  Completely rinse the tank.  This may take two rinseings and then when dry put some gas in it and rotate the tank to see if there are any seeping pin holes. Usually you can cover them with solder from the outside.

The 720 has a return fuel line so over time the tank fuel is recirculated and has to go through the filter over and over. There's one before the electric pump so just keep changing it until it stays relatively clean. Usually every 2-3 years is normal but start off every month depending on how many miles you drive. Cut it open and look. Tank will clean itself over time and keep cleaning itself. I've poured brown rusty gas through a fuel filter and it came out clean. Anything that can get through a filter will go right through the carburetor.