280zx inner front wheel bearing

Im in the process of rebuilding my 280zx struts, brakes and hub for a 510 swap. When i pulled apart the hubs from the spindles all the bearings just came out with ease. My question is this. Does the inner front bearing get pressed onto the spindle. Or.... does it kinda press on when i put it all together... or... what. I half assed put the hub onto the spindle with bearing and it didnt go too far down. Now its stuck (not worried, i can safely get it off). You can see an old wear mark just below the bearing from the last bearing (i assume). Heres a pic 

ZGTIBkM.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the grease seal that is on the back of the hub????? The grease seal would hold that bearing from falling out the back of the hub. Or do you have it apart?

The bearings are loose in the hub until the nut is tightened on the spline.

The inner bearing is larger diameter and can't be put in from the front of the hub. It's put inside the hub from the back side then the inner grease seal is put on. The inner bearing rides against a removable outer race that is pressed into the hub and can be driven out from the front of the hub once the hub is removed.

Wash those inner races and inspect them carefully. Right is the maxima  race that the inner bearing runs against. The one on the left I pulled from an old 710 strut to replace it with. Even though the right looks fairly smooth you wouldn't believe how growly it was. With the hub off the spindle you have to pry the old grease seal off the back to get at the bearing to lift it out. A brass drift through the front of the hub can be used to drive the race out.

TVKySjC.jpg

44 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Where is the grease seal that is on the back of the hub????? The grease seal would hold that bearing from falling out the back of the hub. Or do you have it apart?

The bearings are loose in the hub until the nut is tightened on the spline.

The inner bearing is larger diameter and can't be put in from the front of the hub. It's put inside the hub from the back side then the inner grease seal is put on. The inner bearing rides against a removable outer race that is pressed into the hub and can be driven out from the front of the hub once the hub is removed.

Wash those inner races and inspect them carefully. Right is the maxima  race that the inner bearing runs against. The one on the left I pulled from an old 710 strut to replace it with. Even though the right looks fairly smooth you wouldn't believe how growly it was. With the hub off the spindle you have to pry the old grease seal off the back to get at the bearing to lift it out. A brass drift through the front of the hub can be used to drive the race out.

TVKySjC.jpg

So basically one presses them on with the force of the spindle nut. Ok. Ive never done this, just wanted an idea. The seal is missing in the pic cause i was messing around and just dry fit stuff. 

Yes the nut tightens everything in place. Be sure to re-pack the cavity inside the hub with a good wheel bearing grease. There is a method for packing grease into the bearings by hand. The nut is tightened to a specific torque and there is a proper procedure for setting the bearing preload. If you're this far you probably know what I mean but if not ask.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes the nut tightens everything in place. Be sure to re-pack the cavity inside the hub with a good wheel bearing grease. There is a method for packing grease into the bearings by hand. The nut is tightened to a specific torque and there is a proper procedure for setting the bearing preload. If you're this far you probably know what I mean but if not ask.

Ya, ive been reading up on all of it. Thanks for the help though mike.