Buying an out of state car

I was wondering if anyone here has bought an out of state vehicle and has had any trouble registering it in California. I’m interested in a 1974 Datsun 620 in Nevada but don’t want to go thru any headaches trying to register it in California, any help from anyone that has gone thru this would be appreciated. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, john510 said:

You will have to smog it,that could be headache #1.Then pay a fee/fine for bringing in an out of state car.Does it run ? 

You would still need to smog it even tho it’s pre 1976? I would think it would be exempt from smog in California? And yes it runs 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DatsunRick said:

You would still need to smog it even tho it’s pre 1976? I would think it would be exempt from smog in California? And yes it runs 

You may be right.I thought it was pre '74 but haven't had to deal with that stuff in along time.It might pass if it runs.

It's only sensible for a state to demand a safety check and include a smog check, specially California. Who knows what piece of shit is being brought into the state. All you need is the PCV valve, flow guide valve, the EGR, stock air filter housing with working ATC. All there, and (presumably) working to pass a visual at least. Although there may be no test specs for the '74, those with a California '74 must (in theory) maintain and keep their emission equipment. Once in, there should be no further inspections.

Contact the DMV and ask them. They'll better know than someone guessing. Get it in writing.

• Like 1

I bought my 68 510 in oregon upon arrival in california they did a vin check 

your car will need to have 2 matching vins 

body/dash 

body/door pillar 

not sure other options but body would be highest needed because its stamped into sheet metal

the second could be dash/engine bay plate/ or door pillar