Dogleg 5 speed reverse switch?

Very close to getting my 510 going. Need a working reverse light for inspection.

It's a 63A2 and has 2 switches. One had both wires broken off inside the rubber boot. I fixed the wires and reinstalled it. The trans is in reverse, but neither switch is showing continuity with a multimeter.

So, what do the switches do? What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, something simple, reverse is upper left above first gear.

R...2...3

N. N .N

There are 3 possible switches on the 63A transmission. A top gear, neutral and a reverse. The first two are for the emissions system. The reverse is lowest n the rear case. Take the switch out and check that the plunger is working and contact being made. 71B 4 and 5 speeds have the same switch as does the 5 speed in the '79 B310 aka 210. The part number is 32005-K1000

• 1 month later...

I think most of the 70's into the 80's reverse switches are the same, having different part #'s for varying wire lengths & perhaps terminal style.  We just bought a standard Datsun Z car 5speed reverse switch for a CA18DET swap that we are doing...........worked perfectly.  I buy OEM switches, as the aftermarket seem cheaply made.  I buy all of my OEM Datsun parts from Riley at Lynchburg Nissan in VA 800-443-2117 or parts@lynchburgnissan.com!  He can tell you the details about the various part #'s, but now I see you are in AU, so find a good Nissan dealership that will help you with a classic Datsun!