Removing ignition switch on a 620

PapaJohnsCollege

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The screws installed by the factory have a necked down area under the head and when over tightened the head shears off making them more difficult for thieves to remove. What I did was just hacksaw across them...

2l9O8xi.jpg

With a new slot any flat bladed screw driver will remove them...

hjGNUnA.jpg

and the clamp comes apart. Yours may vary but the idea is the same

HlB0Zri.jpg

I think you can buy these break away fasteners, but why bother?

wKtlPEA.jpg

If you’re talking about the round plastic nut that holds the ignition in the housing, there will be two little holes on the face of the nut. The right tool would be a spanner wrench. However, if you’re careful, you can use small needle nose pliers. Unplug the ignition and hold it from behind and insert needle nose into the holes and carefully turn counter clockwise to loosen the nut. Installation is the reverse order. 

HlB0Zri.jpg

This part above. The key goes in where my bottom finger is. The key cylinder is about where those red and blue wires are and the ignition switch is at the very top with all the wires sticking out and you can see the small screw to hold it in place. The locking mechanism is in between these tow parts. The ignition key cylinder is inside a casting, not plastic or it would be too easy the break into and steal.

“The whole unit” being the ignition switch...using the method I posted above, will remove the ignition switch. The 620 switch is only held in by the round spanner nut. And if I remember, correctly...to remove the housing you don’t need to remove the switch. Just remove all of the screws to remove the top cover, then there is a very small phillips head machine screw on the bottom cover on the ignition side of the column. Remove that first, and then remove the two screws attaching the bottom cover to the column. You can then remove it and of course, you’ve all ready unplugged the ignition. Now, if what we’re saying isn’t helpful to you, please post some pictures. 
Good luck.