720 z24 engine replacement and timing help needed

Ab1997

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/28/2020 at 9:08 PM, datzenmike said:

Normally it grounds through the mounting bolts but some have a dedicated wire.

Get a volt meter and check for 12v on the positive coil terminals. You also need 12v on the module (I think the red wire under the rotor) the other two go to the coil negative terminals. No 12v to the proper wire on the module... no worky.

bgrEUUa.jpg

I think it's 12v to the B terminal on the module, above

• Like 1

I assumed it was the middle one try moving them around.

Is the rotor on? does it turn when using the starter? hold the coil wire near ground and try to start it. Got spark???

• Like 1

I will try again in the morning. Thanks. Looks like I have checked all those things. Even changed the module under the passenger side. Not sure what else to do. It has power to the coil and to the distributor. Just will not fire. 

• Like 1

Ok, still nothing. Went ahead and switched all modules I could find(2 of them under the passenger dash. I have several replacements I have purchased in the past every kind of module this thing has and all tested and working. Could there be something wrong with the timing chain in the new block?? Could there be.something there that.could cause this?

Thanks

• Like 1

The electronic ignition module is in the distributor, under the rotor. Anything under the dash is a relay and not related to this.

The module is at the bottom with a hole and three terminals on it

S3KBmQQ.jpg

• Like 1

True that Mike.

A crate engine is usually painted before shipping so a poor ground can happen quite easily. 

Removal of any paint to which the distributor housing contacts is essential, also make sure the engine is properly grounded to the frame.

• Like 1

Alright, I replaced the module in the distributor today and nothing. I will try scraping paint and making sure ground is good. You are right, I assume it's something with wiring but we swapped everything out piece by piece and reconnected exactly as removed on the new engine. Took pictures of every wiring hookup and repeated connections exactly and much cleaner than before. This is just craziness that it will not fire. I have a new distributor I guess I will try to install that tomorrow. I am at a total loss why there is no spark. Also replaced the coils today. Nothing. 

• Like 1

You are holding the high tension lead from the coil near a grounded surface? When engine is started there should be a nice fat spark.

With the key on, touch a grounded wire to the negative side of either coils and remove. When you take the ground off it will spark.

• Like 1
On 5/3/2020 at 8:00 PM, Ab1997 said:

Alright, I replaced the module in the distributor today and nothing. I

Everything was working so not wired right. Did you try moving the 3 wire on the module around in case I was rong about the middle B one having the 12 v?

How exactly are you testing for spark????